• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

This is such a good point. I absolutely hate people saying “you’d have taken 5th at the start of the year”.

The fact is we’re playing great football and are in such a position points wise there really is no excuse not to get over the line.

Definitely wouldn’t bin Arteta if he fails to get over the line but he’d be on a lot shorter leash. Next year would be way harder to get top 4 without CL football this year.
The problem is that Arteta Outers will start parading at the moment we finish 5th, complaining why doesn't the board fire him, all over the summer and next season. Everyone knows Arteta will get an extension now no matter what, even if we finish 6th. They will try to infect the forum with their own constant migraine.

Maybe the expectations can change somewhat naturally, but him getting such an upturn in the team performances and results for over a year, makes finishing 5th great anyway. The team is very young, and if they can't handle the run-in mentally, the blame can't be totally on Arteta.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The problem is that Arteta Outers will start parading at the moment we finish 5th, complaining why doesn't the board fire him, all over the summer and next season. Everyone knows Arteta will get an extension now no matter what, even if we finish 6th. They will try to infect the forum with their own constant migraine.

Maybe the expectations can change somewhat naturally, but him getting such an upturn in the team performances and results for over a year, makes finishing 5th great anyway. The team is very young, and if they can't handle the run-in mentally, the blame can't be totally on Arteta.

I mean I was an Arteta outer but now I’m not solely off the back of performances.

They’re not binary concepts. I’ve set my stall out on performances and if he bottles top 4 from the position we are now then when is he going to do it?

Fwiw I think this is academic and we’ll genuinely cruise into fourth. He’s turned us round and we’re playing well consistently.

drippin

I mean I was an Arteta outer but now I’m not solely off the back of performances.

They’re not binary concepts. I’ve set my stall out on performances and if he bottles top 4 from the position we are now then when is he going to do it?

Fwiw I think this is academic and we’ll genuinely cruise into fourth. He’s turned us round and we’re playing well consistently.
I still repeat that it can't be solely on Arteta if we bottle top 4 now, because the team is so young.

Arteta can't be expected to be some magician who upgrades our young players mentality with a spell from the sidelines.

He has got them performing very well and focused always on the next game, and it's expected that they will continue to do so.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Anywhere Europa and upwards Arteta is fine tbh.

He will have to face more Auba questions the lower he finishes, but the people who bring it up would bring him up even if he finished 3rd.

I remember Wenger's best years when I was young, there were a few fans who just never liked him as he had a bit of a perceived ruthlessness about him too, particularly with the English (the media) or over 30's. That's just how it goes.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
For me if we finish 5th I'd view it as a season with a lot of positives, good recruitment, improved style of play, can see what Arteta is trying to do with the side but I'd have to ultimately put it down as a bit of a bottlejob over the last 10 games or so, given how we stand at the moment.

I wouldn't be calling for his head by any means but it would be putting a bit of question mark over Arteta in terms of can he get it done in the big games or when the pressure is really on to deliver.

Personally I think the games against Chelsea, Man Utd, Sp**s will tell us quite a lot on that front anyway. Not just the results but the intent with which we set out against them.

Man Utd and Sp**s particularly, whatever the points difference are at the time, I think we've got to go into those matches with a bit of swagger / arrogance saying 'Man for man we're better than you and we're going to play you off the park' That's the positive mindset Arteta needs to instill going forwards again our rivals.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Anywhere Europa and upwards Arteta is fine tbh.

Knowing our luck, it will be a few injuries to some key players, class...then it's Conference League, here we go!

That'll be fun :lol:

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I think @2Smokeyy said that the squad was good enough to get Champions League...and with no Europe, plus Arteta getting rid of Auba for no real reason...that if we don't get Top 4, he should be fired...which is pretty fair, but our board won't think like this though.

@Barry went one better though...claimed that even if Mikel gets us Champions League football, we should still bin him in the summer for an elite manager...a "thank you, **** you, bye!" type of deal...but Barry is a cold blooded, win at all costs, alpha male...so that's to be expected from a winner like him.

🤣🤣🤣

I'd do still do that, yes, if Ten Hag was available. Not for anyone else though. Chelsea won a Champions League and then binned their manager afterwards so it's a proven route.

And I like Mikel as well - I've been defending him here against all the "low IQ" rubbish that was posted but it's a question of getting the very best manager available.

I want to see us winning the League again, you'd see a very emotional Barry partying hard in Finsbury Park when that day comes!!!

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Arteta has done well this season tbf to him. For me, I maintain it will still be big failure if we don't make the CL. Like @Trilly said, it will be very difficult to make top four next season, more so than this season. United gets a proper manager and get their act together, then suddenly they're a threat.

For given how this season has gone, not making top 4 will be indefensible. Thankfully that scenario is unlikely seeing as wrong shoe-in for the CL spot.

So yeah, that's my stance.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I'd do still do that, yes,

download-57.png

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Also I have now been called a dictator, a rapist and a gatekeeper of mediocrity...

Starting to think AM doesn't like Riou-chan that much!

don't forget people tagging you on gay innuendos left right and center despite you never being open about your sexuality...

El Duderino

To be fair...there is nothing wrong with being gay, so I don't mind those.

Pretty sure there are a few things iffy about being a dictator or a rapist though.

It did seem to bother you a bit, so I stopped doing it.

The latter is kinda sus, ngl. Out of line, really.

drippin

Arteta has done well this season tbf to him. For me, I maintain it will still be big failure if we don't make the CL. Like @Trilly said, it will be very difficult to make top four next season, more so than this season. United gets a proper manager and get their act together, then suddenly they're a threat.

For given how this season has gone, not making top 4 will be indefensible
. Thankfully that scenario is unlikely seeing as wrong shoe-in for the CL spot.

So yeah, that's my stance.
You're proving instantly what I said about Arteta Outers using 5th spot against him if we finish there. You even say it's not defensible in any way, so if we do finish there, this thread will be a migraine factory for everyone involved like so many times before. :lol:

Anyway, finishing 4th next season won't be that much harder than this season. We will buy two top players in any case, and have had a great squad overhaul.

Sp**s and United both need a rebuild still, and our youngsters are a year older, and most players have already adjusted to the EPL and the team. We are in a strong position if we finish top 5 and get some Europe money.

Goonerist

You're not wrong here. But you're arguing that persisting with Auba was the only option... It's just interesting that Arteta couldn't get the same Auba we are seeing at Barca now. Could be that he can't manage big players, etc? Adds to the mysteries around why Guendouzi and Saliba weren't fit for him as well.
Also, the fact that Auba left basically for free is concerning from a management perspective too.
May be Arteta does not like overindulging primadonnas? These so called big players seem to have massive egos too, they want everyone to worship and kiss their rings 24/7. You will get managers that will tolerate that nonsense and others that won’t. That’s why each and every manager is different in their approach.
Again, Auba was given more than enough opportunities since he extended his contract in 2020. What changed so dramatically between him resigning in 2020 to 2022?

I am being honest, what more could the club and manager have given to the guy? Did some expect Arteta to lick Auba’s balls, kiss his ass etc then they would acknowledge that he tried his best to accommodate Auba?
They gave him an amazing contract worth more than £300,000 a week. They made him captain. The manager persisted with him for a season and a half even if his performance failed to improve. They kept compromising on his undiscipline / lateness.

Our fans even started criticising Arteta for continuously persisting with Auba and not giving Laca / Martinelli and others a chance. With comments / statements like, i paraphrase “Arteta hates Martinelli, he has favourites, he keeps playing Auba who has been shocking since 2020 but continues to shut down Martinelli from the team” etc. People were calling for Auba to be dropped from the team and Martinelli to be played.

Again, I feel like some people have let their personal biases, dislike or resentments towards Arteta overrule their objectivity / rationality. They seem to be so dug in and emotionally invested into winning this petty war (Arteta vs The Personally Aggrieved).

I just find it very juvenile and petty the whole think. That’s all.

ThePortugueseGunner

I think I've said this before. I was a fierce critic of Arteta, but it's undeniable how the team has been turning things around.

Season's not over yet, though. I think it'll be a tough battle with Tottenham and United until the end. We can finish 4th and Arteta will be the man responsible for the return to the Champions League, or we can finish 5th/6th and it will be a mediocre season (no trophies and no Champions League football).

In football, there are no moral victories. It's a tough pill to swallow, but it's true. All of the hard work and improvements can go down the drain if we don't finish 4th. The other clubs invest more and it's really hard to compete with that, because eventually they'll get it right.

Tottenham will be better next season, with Conte entering his second full season. United might grab a decent manager and improve as well. City and Liverpool are levels above everyone else. That's why Champions League football is so important, to attract great talent and to be able to keep our blooming youngsters.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I think @2Smokeyy said that the squad was good enough to get Champions League...and with no Europe, plus Arteta getting rid of Auba for no real reason...that if we don't get Top 4, he should be fired...which is pretty fair, but our board won't think like this though.

@Barry went one better though...claimed that even if Mikel gets us Champions League football, we should still bin him in the summer for an elite manager...a "thank you, **** you, bye!" type of deal...but Barry is a cold blooded, win at all costs, alpha male...so that's to be expected from a winner like him.

@Riou why are you bringing me into this thread? 😤

I go about my lovely, exquisite day and log into see TyHenry constantly arguing with everyone in this thread - I’ll pass, cheers.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Was just acting up to the tags, for comic effect.

It's all good banter here anyway, well most times!

Ngl some of
🤣🤣🤣

I'd do still do that, yes, if Ten Hag was available. Not for anyone else though. Chelsea won a Champions League and then binned their manager afterwards so it's a proven route.

And I like Mikel as well - I've been defending him here against all the "low IQ" rubbish that was posted but it's a question of getting the very best manager available.

I want to see us winning the League again, you'd see a very emotional Barry partying hard in Finsbury Park when that day comes!!!

Bro it’s one thing binning him for Klopp or Zidane but Ten Hag.

Stone cold :lol:

El Duderino

"Mikel Arteta: folks projecting stuff" should be the new name for the thread if we're being honest...

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown

Latest posts

Top Bottom