• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

moodymooday

RocktheCasbah said:
I'd take Hleb any day of the week now. He's just so much more to offer, he does know where the goal is. He's got control Ljungberg could only ever dream of, the pace that Ljungberg used to have and he links up really well with Eboue. And he combines that all with Freddie's much vaunted work ethic. How many times did Hleb run himself to a standstill last season?

I'm surprised he doesn't have more fans to be honest, I think he's a fantastic player.

This season too, actually.

I suppose people always need a scapegoat and Hleb's horrible period last season is fresh enough for people to still remember.

Captain

Established Member
Christofaux said:
your kidding yourself saying Freddy doesn't get back to defend successfully... sure hes not playing well but why take credit away were credit is clearly due?

I just pray he puts a few good performances together to show just how bandwagon this place is.

Because that is a nonsense. By the sheer nature of his starting position Freddie very rarely gets back into defend when the opposition break away.

If a move breaks down while he is in the middle of the area he is never going to get back into his position to defend. Never in a million years.

Where did Freddie use to spend most of the game? ahead of the strikers or at the very least as far forward as Henry.

This was okay when we had the best engine in the league in centre-mid (Vieira) and when Gilberto wasn't malfunctioning; they covered for that easily. But it is an easily exploited weakness without Paddy and when Gilberto's compass is a little awry.

That is why Lauren never ventured too far forward and why Eboue very rarely does when he is behind Ljungberg, whereas with Hleb he knows he can go forward because Hleb will always be covering for him.

In the way that he plays freddie leaves the full back exposed very often.

RocktheCasbah said:
No, because Freddie was doing this last season, and in fact when Eboue was making overlaps for him, Freddie tended to ignore them and play the ball back into midfield.

Hoyte does get forward, I've watched him do it.

I'm not sure if you were there and it probably wasn't dwelt upon on tv but in the Sheffield United game Eboue overlapped and Freddie ran into him.

He looked up and then put his head back down and dribbled ten yards with the ball staright into Eboue!

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Sammer

Established Member
moodymooday said:
RocktheCasbah said:
I'd take Hleb any day of the week now. He's just so much more to offer, he does know where the goal is. He's got control Ljungberg could only ever dream of, the pace that Ljungberg used to have and he links up really well with Eboue. And he combines that all with Freddie's much vaunted work ethic. How many times did Hleb run himself to a standstill last season?

I'm surprised he doesn't have more fans to be honest, I think he's a fantastic player.

I suppose people always need a scapegoat and Hleb's horrible period last season is fresh enough for people to still remember.

He was just as bad last season. Even worse, because he got many games and still couldn´t make an impact.

run

gunnertilldeath said:
Consider this... i have a friend. he's a yank. doesnt know very much about the sport but likes Arsenal and tries to follow the team because we were roommates and i infected him. He loves Ljungberg. more than henry, more than pires, more than king kolo. why? because of Freddie's unbridled dedication to the cause when he pulls on the red and white. he is everywhere, constantly running, harrying and frustrating opponents. he isnt the biggest guy or the strongest guy but he puts in all the effort in the world. I appreciate that alot in a player and I'll continue to love Fred for this very reason. He's always up for the fight and God bless him for it.

I'm a yank, and I feel the same way. This isn't football manager...Freddie's attitude, his fight, his fearlessness is crucial to our team. Don't get me wrong Freddie isn't in my first eleven but you can't underestimate his importance to Arsenal, both on the pitch and off.

Moreover, given there is no Aresnal this week, I have been watching our previous matches, and Freddie has consistantly put himself in dangerouse positions. I know he hasn't scored, I know he hasn't been his old self, but he is part of the fabric of Arsenal Football Club and I'm not at all eager to see him go.

Christofaux

RocktheCasbah said:
Christofaux said:
I just pray he puts a few good performances together to show just how bandwagon this place is.

So you can feel all superior about him? It may surprise you to know there are a few of us who have been saying Freddie should be Arsenal history for a while now. This isn't a new fad. Anyway, prayers are all you've got, because resurrections (as I'm sure you know if you pray) only happen in the bible.

Depends how much you believe the bible or not? For some of us the bible isnt a story but a recount... so heres hoping the Arsenal bible gets a new chapter out of him ;)

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
Freddie's darting runs are no longer prevalent because he plays amore disciplined role now, almost as an auxilary central midfielder. He mastered the ghosting run from the flank, and it caught the opposition unawares because he'd pop up on their blind side. His runs are far more easily managed when in central areas, because a) He is always in the opposing defenses line of sight, and b) This Arsenal side doesn't create as much space for him (or eachother) as the one of 2001-2004.

I think Freddie will find himself on the bench once Baptista finds his groove. I think Baps will occupy that central fulcrum role Freddie currently has in the 4-5-1. Freddie will be rotated throughout attacking midfield as required, but I doubt he'll be a definate starter by the time we reach the halfway point of the season.

King_Henry

ive been one of the biggest supporters of freddy....and probably part of the reason we've been debating it so much on AM latley, he's not as good as he used to be, but there every chance he'll come good

Form is temporary, class is permanent

Nutsy

Established Member
True. or else they won't make him the Swedish skipper for nothing. anyway, his form is a bit slow, his pace aint good as before, but you can't rule out the fact he's one of the true Gunners. and he deserves to stay even by means coming out from the bench. ;)

mokoko

Christofaux said:
RocktheCasbah said:
Christofaux said:

So you can feel all superior about him? It may surprise you to know there are a few of us who have been saying Freddie should be Arsenal history for a while now. This isn't a new fad. Anyway, prayers are all you've got, because resurrections (as I'm sure you know if you pray) only happen in the bible.

Depends how much you believe the bible or not? For some of us the bible isnt a story but a recount... so heres hoping the Arsenal bible gets a new chapter out of him ;)

Well said. God bless.

mokoko

Sammer said:
I think most of us agree that Freddie doesn´t provide much for our attack (lack of pace, lack of technique etc.).

But claiming that he "works hard" and "defends well" is also a dead end street.
When it comes to these attributes, the Flamster is superior in my view - much better in "close battle", and Matthieu can outrun most of our team (stamina wise) any time.

He either has to get his act together, or there will not be many games for him as a starter soon.

Good morning to you Mr. Wenger.

moodymooday

Sammer said:
moodymooday said:
RocktheCasbah said:

He was just as bad last season. Even worse, because he got many games and still couldn´t make an impact.

I was more talking about why Hleb doesn't have more fans this season. But yes, Hleb was truly bad last season. Couldn't find a teammate with a pass at all, if I remember rightly.

It's funny how Freddie has become the Swedish captain and is still pretty much an automatic choice when the vast majority of us are slating him off. Are the standards of midfielders in Sweden that low?

for rockthecash's and captain's comments, i seriously think that both of you have already made up your mind that freddie is history, while the rest of us are trying to look at the situation from a NEUTRAL point of view. You guys seem to think that everything freddie's donethis season is bad, but you neever look at the positives (besides the fact that he was 'hardworking') such as the amount of space he provides people..if you delay the pass, the defender would try and come closer and tackle the ball. from this you either get a free kick with freddie, or if he manages to pass ON to someone else, there would be this massive space behind that defender! get it? thats why he likes to delay his passes, so that when he does get one past the defender, we can see people like henry running into acres of space, not to mention hleb or eboue.

one reason why freddie likes to cut back to the middle is because there isnt support for him. Agree? No? then tell me you two, you expect freddie is ronaldo the phenomenon inhis prime or something? come on! be realistic! he isnt and he needs support. one reason why freddie doesnt use hoyte, from my opinion and my personal observation from the recent matches, is when he passes to hoyte for the first few times, hoyte either LOSES the ball, or he passes BACK to toure. freddie wants a ONE TWO with hoyte and hoyte cant seem to understand his intentions soooo freddie keeps running into empty space. I bet you if cole were there, freddie would have already opened his acount for this sesason. the number of runs hes made is so many and well timed that only one good through pass from a one two by cole would put freddie through on goal. trust me. its with the support. thats why freddie looks frustrated as he cant establish some understanding with hoyte. sooo he has to pass back to mid and try and get rosicky or fabregas to play a one two with him or something...but what fabregas NORMALLY does when he gets the ball from freddie is spread the play to eboue. agree? so thats when freddie's contribution ends. I say that when clichy gets back, freddie will perform MUCH better. anyone on a friendly bet? =P

one more thing to rock: you need to WEIGH both sides and cant keep saying that freddie has enough games blah blah blah...you forgotten last season;s cham league final? freddie was the BEST player and most efficient. he was the ONLY one upfront !!! henry was depressingly lethargic and seemed unfit while freddie was full of running and he almost scored a solo effort if it were not for puyol's last ditch tackle...please, he created all of those chances in the final with minimal or little help from your beloved hleb (not that i dont like him, i love him in fact, but you are really overrating hleb in this case).....so please in your argument on freddie's inability to perform give a balanced view on the situation

cheers =)

Alfonso

Established Member
Another thing RTC fails to mention is that last season Freddie wasnt the only one who wasnt performing well. Apart from Lehman, Toure and Cesc, who actually was playing to their full ability and potential? Im talking about throughout the season and on a consistent basis.

But then RTC could argue well most of the players that were crap last season are not at the club anymore(e.g Sol, Pires). But why didnt Freddie join his buddies at the exit door at Arsenal during the summer?

Because in a team full of flair, you need one or two players with balls, i.e Freddie.

Freddie will never be the same player of before, and in some ways you could argue that he overacheived as technically he was never all that anyway. But regardless of his dip in form compared to his indian summer of spring 2002, Freddie is still a major part of Arsenal football club.

But i guess RTC is so stubborn in his view that he wants Freddie out, that when Freddie does in fact perform badly in the next game, or whenever, RTC will be happy, as he has proved a point.

Dont underestimate Freddie to put some egg on your face my friend.

Sammer

Established Member
moodymooday said:
I was more talking about why Hleb doesn't have more fans this season. But yes, Hleb was truly bad last season. Couldn't find a teammate with a pass at all, if I remember rightly.

It's funny how Freddie has become the Swedish captain and is still pretty much an automatic choice when the vast majority of us are slating him off. Are the standards of midfielders in Sweden that low?

Have you watched Sweden in the World Cup (and in the friendly against Germany in August?). They are in really really BAD SHAPE !

And yes, their midfield is nothing special. Freddie being captain in the Swedish national team means absolutely nothing in terms of his worth to the Arsenal.

Nobody is claiming, that he is finished. But in my view, he is losing his starting place (and rightly so !) to Hleb. This talk about "having balls" and "fighting spirit" is just utter Bollocks. He (and LeBob) were getting overrun, beat and knocked down so much since the beginning of last season, I am really wondering where this Myth comes from. Rosicky has double as grit and effectiveness in tackling than Freddie.

lol i really have nothing to say, you guys just dont seem to see the situation from a broader perspective. You want freddie out? Well, I would of course disagree, but i'll bet you arsenal will have a dip in form again and have this bad period of form again once freddy leaves. with little help from midfield in the form of guidance, i really dont think rosicky and hleb can perform up to their full potential

Guys... Freddie used to received great pass from Pires or Bergkamp..i think only these two players create good understanding with Freddi..They know where to pass and where will Freddi receive the ball..Freddi is in the middle of adjusting his runs and trying to establish understanding with the current squad..Freddi just miss Pires and Bergkamp very badly

Reyes no.11

guys, if i had the chance to play for arsenal, id run like a marathon runner too! but arsenal are not hiring runners, they need players with good football skill.

if we need a player who just works hard and runs all day, why don't wenger just play a really fit person whos big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom