• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain

Established Member
I'm quite sure it isn't that much. If the board baulked at giving Cole 60-65k (or whatever it was) I doubt they went 70k for Freddie.

That would have made him the highest paid player at the club at the time.

patrick42uk

Established Member
which is an important point because if we dont even know the full facts behind his wages how can we begin to criticise him for that?

he signed his deal in the summer of 2005 and it got extended till 2009, when he'll be 32. arsenal, more than any, know the risks with players over 30. the decision was made anyway to give him that length on whatever terms it is. its the clubs' liability not freddie's fault.

IMO, his wages shouldnt be the issue for us. you can criticise him based on what he does on the pitch and say he isnt good enough to play for us (even if wenger disagrees) but at least you have the full evidence to make that claim. even wenger doesnt give two ****s what freddie's earning. he'll get rid based on whether or not he feels he is good enough rather than something driven by forces out of his control i.e. wages.

Lord Dula

Established Member
Any how do you know Wenger doesnt give two Sh!ts about what Freddie earns? I'm sure as he has the clubs interest as a whole in his mind, and as an economist he does.

Unless he's said that to you via a text or something I wouldnt use that as an argument.

patrick42uk

Established Member
just comments wenger has made in the past. especially on the debate that players are over-paid. plus his manegerial style too which is based heavily on man-management.

he's an economist so he knows about market forces.

Lord Dula

Established Member
then he must know and appreciate wages as an input to the market ie what it generally takes to attract/retain players.

I'm assuming he'd then go onto tie in a players wage to the clubs overrall wage bill/budget and thus establish what opportunities/risks he'd have when delving into the market.

Cheers, you pretty much answered my question there.

patrick42uk

Established Member
lol, glad to be of service. although really you give me too much credit, my intention wasnt to trivialise it.

for me its simple, freddie goes if wenger feels he isnt doing the business on the pitch. if wenger feels he is, he stays and the wage he earns is not his concern because he doesnt decide that. the cole saga told us as much.

Buhry

Established Member

The problem is that goal was the first goal he's scored for ages, his goals are few and far between nowadays. I doubt one good goal against bolton will change that tbh, it could very well be another ten games before he scores again. And if thats the case then that's not good enough, seeing as he doesn't offer much to the team when he's not scoring.

Sammer

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
lol, glad to be of service. although really you give me too much credit, my intention wasnt to trivialise it.

for me its simple, freddie goes if wenger feels he isnt doing the business on the pitch. if wenger feels he is, he stays and the wage he earns is not his concern because he doesnt decide that. the cole saga told us as much.

I would be very suprised to see Freddie stay after this season. Giving the speed of his decline, he might still be an asset in the transfer market this season, but not after season. A club like Bayern Munich would be perfect for him.

Lord Dula

Established Member
He also needs to stop thinking he's Hleb/Rosicky/Fabregas on the ball and stop trying to play passes which are beyond him. He'd be much more productive if he concentrated on his strength ie making those telling runs forward into space.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
I think it's time Freddy moved on, thanks for the memory Freddy unfortunately thats all his game is now a memory. No disrespect for the guy I just don't think he has it any more.

Sammer

Established Member
1970*Gooner said:
I think it's time Freddy moved on, thanks for the memory Freddy unfortunately thats all his game is now a memory. No disrespect for the guy I just don't think he has it any more.

We also play a different system with Hleb and Rosicky - and no Bergkamp providing those inch-acurate passes for Freddie. He just doesn´t have the qualities needed on the wing - he is too slow, his technique is below (Arsenal) average and his physical ability to prevail in one-on-ones is too weak.

Needles to say, he has been a great servant for the club, and I always loved his comittment on the pitch. But it just ain´t working any more. Any game that he either starts on the left or right wing makes us pretty much harmless at that position. And that is sad to see.

lagos

Established Member
1970*Gooner said:

Freddie has already moved on - he's a sub

1970*Gooner

Established Member

lagosgooner said:
1970*Gooner said:

Freddie has already moved on - he's a sub
Can't we swop him for Ribery :D

Alfonso

Established Member
I still would prefer Freddie over Theo this season. So effectively he is our third choice winger.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Alfonso said:
I still would prefer Freddie over Theo this season. So effectively he is our third choice winger.
Lets face it, its a desperate choice that isn't it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom