• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,157,432

Maxim

Bennacer is a little terrier isn't he, but capable of some quick crisp passing too. Agree that he's been great tonight.

You can also see almost immediately that Malen has a lot more about him than Mavididi.

They were talking up this Woodburn guy for Liverpool but he got absolutely nothing out of Ben Sheaf.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Encouraging performance IMO. Could have been better in the final 3rd but a strong midfield display and rearguard action.

Sheaf had some ropey moments but a good display overall from all on the back 4. Bielik, Bola and Robinson excellent. Sheaf stood out offensively and technically but the others were just as good.

Bennacer and McGuane joint MOTM for me. Were almost flawless. Hinds and Mavididi were hard working and both took their chances well. Good game from them. Jeff and Willock were pretty good without being at their best. Both overplayed it at times.

chessygoal

Bennacer is impressive at this level, and I like the fact he likes to tackle.
Jeff was a bit underwhelming, too many useless skills for my liking and he didn't track back that well.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Bennacer is impressive at this level, and I like the fact he likes to tackle.
Jeff was a bit underwhelming, too many useless skills for my liking and he didn't track back that well.
Slight shades of Verratti for me. That's the kinda player we need to mold him to be IMO. Plays at a quick tempo which will suit English football. He's got quite a versatile game, can dribble, passes crisply and is defensively astute. Both he and McGuane look to be very similar players, can do the basics in midfield very well.

Glad to see more of what McGuane is about today, he did excellently along with Bennacer. Sharp on the ball, defensively sound and very composed in comparison to his more tenacious partner in midfield.

Jeff kinda annoyed me today but he had a hand in both goals and did have some good moments. His decision making, particularly in the final 3rd is questionable at this point, but that's not a bad spot to be at 17/18, that will most likely change.

tim08

Bennacer was really impressive, there's a bit of Santi in him in that you think he's too small to be a CM in England yet his pure technical ability gets him through. Fantastic touch, weight of pass, vision and tempo to his game. He has a great engine and I love the fact he's more than happy to get stuck in, very tenacious. He's certainly a player we should keep an eye on.

Sheaf also impressed me, he's so confident on the ball and technically so crisp, has a lovely range of passing. I'm not sure if his long term position is at full-back but its certainly good to see him get stuck into the role and he doesn't look out of place there.

You can tell that Willock has something about him, so silky on the ball and he can beat a man at will. He is a strong boy too and doesn't get bullied even though a couple of the Pool players tried to get stuck into him. Reine-Adelaide has so much talent and a fantastic physique but he needs to work on his decision making and efficiency in the final third.

Everybody else had solid games, there wasn't really anybody I wasn't particularly impressed with tbh. Some of the football was really great, it was refreshing to see some zippy one-touch passing from the guys in red and white - we haven't seen that from the 1st team for a while!

Aevi

Hale End FC
Thanks mate. Who is Chiori though?
CHIORI JOHNSON

Born October 05, 1997 London
Position: Defender
Squad Number: 46

Energetic full back Chiori signed his first professional contract at the start of the year after impressing for Arsenal’s academy sides.

The Hale End graduate made six appearances for the under-18s before making his under-21s debut in Tafari Moore’s absence.

The versatile defender - who can play on the left or right of the back four - was also a regular in the UEFA Youth League run before an injury ruled him out for a large part of last season.

Strong in the challenge and a good distributor, Chiori will be looking to compete for a regular starting place in the second string this time around.

ricky1985

Established Member
Jeff was good in parts, but he was wasteful and indecisive in the final third. He's not going to be a top level attacker, in my opinion, today just further confirmed that. I reckon he needs to move back into central midfield and really learn the role there. Exceptional touch and balance though.

Willock was another frustrating one. Absolutely ludicrous balance at times, throwing defenders out the stadium, put in some good crosses too, but he just doesn't have it in the final third. Passes at the wrong time, shoots at the wrong time, takes a touch at the wrong time...could be something very special but lots and lots to work on. Impressed with his strength and speed tonight, gonna be a great athlete once he's developed.

Stars of the show really were Bennacer and McGuane in midfield. Superb on the ball and tireless in their running and closing down. Passing was top notch all night, genuinely excellent all round performance from them both.

Bielik was outstanding at the back, stood up to everything they threw at him and none of the silly errors that have been a constant in his game this season.

Rest of the defence was decent too - which is a turn up for an Arsenal youth team. Ben Sheaf, normally a central midfielder, played at right back and was predictably excellent on the ball but also decent in his defensive work. He was up against a highly rated Liverpool kid and he was on top all night. Bola did well next to Bielik at centreback and the kid at left back, Tyrell Robinson, was very good - great cross for the winning goal. Not surprised his crossing was good, there's not much else going on in his game but he has an absolute sledge hammer of a left foot - Podolski-esque!

Mavididi and Hinds were good. They are decent across the board. Hinds has always had good technique, clever as he is stocky too, but nothing really outstanding to his game. Mavididi similar; good pace, strength, technique but nothing outstanding there. Won the game for us though and how the Liverpool keeper kept out a header Mavididi had that would have made it 3-1 is beyond me.

Next up is Man City in a two legged semi-final. That'll be a big step up from Liverpool and it'll be very interesting to see how they fare. I suspect some of the players will get a little found out. Also partly why I'm annoyed Malen and Nelson got about 10 minutes between them. They're not as physically advanced as Hinds and Mavididi but they're twice as talented and that'll really matter against a top youth side like Man City.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
What was interesting to note was how much power there was in that squad. Barring Robinson, Bennacer and arguably Willock, the team was not lacking in the height and build department. And even the aforementioned 3 are deceptively very strong with excellent balance. Even the bench had Josh DaSilva on there, who is a bit of a powerhouse himself.

Still pretty high on the central midfield performance from Bennacer and McGuane. Interested to see a lot more of them. Overall team performance aside, there are quite a few potential gems out of this lot I reckon. Some haven't even made the U21s yet, like Nketiah, Mourgos, DaSilva, Fortune etc. Will be interesting to see them all.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
U21s are 3-0 up in the first half

Hinds, Bola and Mavididi the goalscorers. Hinds really showing his ability since returning from injury. Great physical presence - reminds me a bit of Welbeck with his energy and running.

Hinds, Bola and Mavididi the goalscorers. Hinds really showing his ability since returning from injury. Great physical presence - reminds me a bit of Welbeck with his energy and running.

I remember at the time when Jebb, Akpom, Lipman and Ormonde-Ottewill were getting a lot of hype, some were talking about Hinds who was the player to follow them in the hype train. Sadly most of the early named didn't make it here, and Hinds somehow went under the radar, because lets face it there are lot of other names getting the spotlight.

I remember it cloudily but glad to see him making a name for him self.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I remember at the time when Jebb, Akpom, Lipman and Ormonde-Ottewill were getting a lot of hype, some were talking about Hinds who was the player to follow them in the hype train. Sadly most of the early named didn't make it here, and Hinds somehow went under the radar, because lets face it there are lot of other names getting the spotlight.

I remember it cloudily but glad to see him making a name for him self.
Hinds was still pretty young in comparison though. He only turned 18 in January so still has time to develop. He's very much in the mold of Iwobi in the sense that he's under the radar in terms of hype. He's very physical as a player though, which helps him at youth level. Will be interesting to see how he develops further.

Game finished 3-0. From reading the texts, sounds like Bennacer controlled the game from the center, with Hinds and Nelson having dangerous games and Sheaf impressing aswell. Guessing of course. It's a shame we only have texts and 6 minute highlights to go on.

Hinds was still pretty young in comparison though. He only turned 18 in January so still has time to develop. He's very much in the mold of Iwobi in the sense that he's under the radar in terms of hype. He's very physical as a player though, which helps him at youth level. Will be interesting to see how he develops further.

Game finished 3-0. From reading the texts, sounds like Bennacer controlled the game from the center, with Hinds and Nelson having dangerous games and Sheaf impressing aswell. Guessing of course. It's a shame we only have texts and 6 minute highlights to go on.

Yeah I was talking he was the player who was post to come after them not with them.

Not surprised with Sheaf at all, he has that Wilshere/Fabregas youth level aura around him.

Probably still few years until fans will be offer to stream all youth games! :(

Anyway do you have clearer idea of what type of player Bennacer is? @MutableEarth

I thought after Liverpool game he could be a good bet to develop into similar player to Cazorla. But Cazorla is only like 30/100 what we need in central midfield. So I'm hoping there is something more too him!

Arsenal Quotes

Religiously, it is said that God created man. I am only a guide. I allow others to express what they have in them. I have not created anything. I am a facilitator of what is beautiful in man.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom