• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: Less Ox, More Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeppWurzl

You've Been Wurzl'd
I see. :lol:

I think I've snapped. I haven't rated him for a while but I'm done with him now. He's going to have to produce Theo like numbers to justify his piss-poor general play.

He will not make it here, i do not know what is going on with this guy. It has nothing to do with confindence, he just makes stupid decisions all the time.
Him and Walcott are so frustrating, having all the tools but are just to dumb to play football.

TriniGunner

When we won the community shield vs Chelsea last year he was in top form. He was starting. He was on the team sheet. He's never been the same after he came back from injury.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

He will not make it here, i do not know what is going on with this guy. It has nothing to do with confindence, he just makes stupid decisions all the time.
Him and Walcott are so frustrating, having all the tools but are just to dumb to play football.
Agree. People say the Ox just needs confidence but I just think he's a stupid player. Theo makes my eyes bleed but he's actually intelligent if you think about how he's made the most of his limitations.

SeppWurzl

You've Been Wurzl'd
Agree. People say the Ox just needs confidence but I just think he's a stupid player. Theo makes my eyes bleed but he's actually intelligent if you think about how he's made the most of his limitations.

Can't agree on Walcott at all. He is NOT intelligent imo! He rarely is really aware what is going on on the pitch, but his tremendous pace gets him out a lot.
Theo Walcott with 10% less pace = 3rd division player.

skip spence

The Ox has played against vastly inferior opponents before and never delivered (except Asian friendlies where people wet their pants) . He delivered in three competitive games on the bounce probably for the first time in an Arsenal shirt.

I don't know how many people play football but that's how confidence begins to blossom. Small consistent steps. @BobP i think makes a good point. He comes on over pumped because he feels he needs to deliver big and the basics go. I see that as plausible given he has done what's asked recently and it's not been good enough to cement a starting spot. Ox knows himself he has this season alone to impress, he said he'll consider his options at the end of the season.

That's why confidence is important. for him it is simple as knowing I'm playing, I can get into a groove and not have to try and jam pack 90 minutes into 15. I think he'll move.
I agree with everything you say except the implication that Arsenal should give him all the time he needs to gain that confidence. Arsenal FC doesn't exist to make a footballer out of Oxlade-Chamberlain, he is at the club to help us win stuff. He has 108 PL matches to his name now and still we're waiting for him to come good.

I mean, top level football is all about dealing with the pressure. If we are to win a major title we need all our starting players to consistently perform close to their best level. As a forward starting for Arsenal the spotlight is on you, the expectation is being one of the best in the world and that's huge pressure for anyone and especially for a young player.

But let's face it, if you can't deal with that massive pressure you've got a problem. What I see with Chambo is a player with all the physical and technical attributes to succeed at this level, no doubt the reason why has been given those 108 PL matches, but also a player who keeps disappointing. Whether it's from the bench or starting he's never as good as he should be, apart from odd moments of brilliance. That assessment of his is probably correct. He's running out of chances. I hope the he proves the doubters wrong and starts fulfilling his potential but I'm afraid that he simply doesn't have it in him.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

So we should continue to play him despite him being crap. All for confidence sake?

There's no guarantee he would make the step up from EFL games to PL ones while still playing 'well'. In fact there's plenty of evidence to suggest otherwise.
I don't think he was playing crap and he should have started away to Ludogorets and the Sp**s game. Even if he was playing crap he was producing the goods and I don't think you can bench a player who is doing that.

He was in a good period of form and you want that to continue. The next league game he started he did continue that form with an assist. So he did continue his form across and was then benched for the next two games.

Anyway. It's much of a muchness now. He was in form and it would have been an easy call to keep him in until he stopped producing rather than benching him and giving him bugger all minutes when he was in form.

You only have to look at player trends, Joe Allen recently, Coupue earlier in the season, when players go on a run they'll keep going for a while. Ox was just starting that run and had the carpet pulled from under him.

Edit @skip spence if that's how you interpreted what I said that's my mistake. I don't think you throw him in and stick by him regardless. But I think when you've a player on the fringes he should be told if you do well and what's expected I'll keep you in the team and give you the shot to keep the spot. Ox hasn't ever done enough to merit that consistent run but recently it has. He has been winning matches, scoring goals and assisting, in my opinion the types of things that should have then turned into okay you're doing as expected I'll give you an extended run to see if you can sustain that. 3 - 5 games at least to see if it was a flash in the pan or the fruitful beginnings of what has been long expected. I think he needs that run for delivering because he isn't Ronaldo or Messi who score/assist every game but over 3 - 5 games there should be signs that he is either building or reverting to the player we seen regularly off thebench. He never got that run after delivering. As a player I don't know where that then leaves him in the managers plans and his own plans.

So in summary no gifted run but an enforced run by good form which presents the opportunity to become a starter.

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I don't think he was playing crap and he should have started away to Ludogorets and the Sp**s game. Even if he was playing crap he was producing the goods and I don't think you can bench a player who is doing that.

He was in a good period of form and you want that to continue. The next league game he started he did continue that form with an assist. So he did continue his form across and was then benched for the next two games.

Anyway. It's much of a muchness now. He was in form and it would have been an easy call to keep him in until he stopped producing rather than benching him and giving him bugger all minutes when he was in form.

You only have to look at player trends, Joe Allen recently, Coupue earlier in the season, when players go on a run they'll keep going for a while. Ox was just starting that run and had the carpet pulled from under him.

Edit @skip spence if that's how you interpreted what I said that's my mistake. I don't think you throw him in and stick by him regardless. But I think when you've a player on the fringes he should be told if you do well and what's expected I'll keep you in the team and give you the shot to keep the spot. Ox hasn't ever done enough to merit that consistent run but recently it has. He has been winning matches, scoring goals and assisting, in my opinion the types of things that should have then turned into okay you're doing as expected I'll give you an extended run to see if you can sustain that. 3 - 5 games at least to see if it was a flash in the pan or the fruitful beginnings of what has been long expected. I think he needs that run for delivering because he isn't Ronaldo or Messi who score/assist every game but over 3 - 5 games there should be signs that he is either building or reverting to the player we seen regularly off thebench. He never got that run after delivering. As a player I don't know where that then leaves him in the managers plans and his own plans.

So in summary no gifted run but an enforced run by good form which presents the opportunity to become a starter.
Agree that it's not like Wenger to bench a player who's producing, maybe Wenger also thinks that there's no guarantee he would produce against PL opposition.

His general play is so poor imo that you can't risk starting him against any top team. If he scores it cancels out his play, if he doesn't score then you're basically playing with ten men. I think that's why Wenger started Iwobi, it's what I would have done tbh.

This whole being benched and needing consistent games card while true, is often overplayed. Kind of like the 'he's not even reached his peak card'.

Quality always shines through in the end. If Lucas Perez happens to be the second coming of Aguero you can be sure he'll force his way into the starting line-up sooner rather than later. Being benched doesn't rob you of the ability to make basic footballing decisions, give away stupid fouls or misplace simple passes. Not to the extent that Ox does...

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Maybe I'm not as disappointed as most of you because I don't expect as much of him. His cameo against Sp**s was everything he does wrong put together in a nice **** you package. Still feel like he started the season promising, he's still fit, and he has gametime to look forward to in the lower competitions/less important games.

These lows are a given with Ox. That's why I was and still am of the opinion that Joel should have gotten his minutes. He could have been a perfect squad player for us. Having somebody like Ox that needs to develop on the bench means trouble.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Ox's bacon is getting saved by Welbeck and Lucas injuries right now. Once Lucas is back, I don't think Ox will even make the bench.

Stoneh

Well... looks like he might get some time on the Wing posibly rotating with Iwobi with Alexis out injured. I cant see him making most of this opportunity.

Stoneh

Ox's bacon is getting saved by Welbeck and Lucas injuries right now. Once Lucas is back, I don't think Ox will even make the bench.

The thing is that no other player has had so many opportunities especially with poor performances. Hes been here 5 years and no improvement whatsoever. Mentally weak, terrible decision making and really poor defending. I feel sorry for Nacho if he plays.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Feels like make or break for him, this season.

Still, would loan him out next season before I consider selling him.

WhatAFC

Even if he was playing crap he was producing the goods and I don't think you can bench a player who is doing that.

Walcott missed one league game and has produced much better numbers this season. It makes perfect sense that the senior player who is producing better numbers takes the spot when fit. Especially in a big game where experience plays a big part.

However, if Walcott had not been putting up numbers and ox racks up a couple goals and assists(all be it against lesser opponents) then your argument holds some merit.

If a player can't take being benched when you're part of a top European club, having previously never put up any numbers let alone decent ones then I'm afraid you're likely to be at the wrong level of club.

I like ox, he has some brilliant attributes, but if his confidence really does get affected that badly from a bad performance or being benched then he's never going to make it to a top level.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan

Absolutely. It's about who is in possession of the shirt and delivering. About using that stability to manage a squad across a season. Getting minutes from a player who'd been sidelined and is making an impact. If he doesn't continue to deliver, that is when you bench him. Neither Iwobi or Walcott have held down a consistent first team place over the long term. If the players coming back were Alexis or Özil standard then it would be right to put him back on the bench...

I remember when the England cricket team were woeful in early 90s. Batsmen like Ramprakash and Hick weren't backed with a run in the side early enough. They were in and out of the team and if you get a good ball or a bad decision you're confidence can be set back...

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
Feels like make or break for him, this season.

Still, would loan him out next season before I consider selling him.

Think his contracts up at the end of next season so I imagine he'll sign a new deal somewhere and a loan seems unlikely...

Stoneh

Gnarby scores hattrick and we still giving this duffer chances. He must be doing all the right things in training for Wenger to keep him

skip spence

Gnarby scores hattrick and we still giving this duffer chances. He must be doing all the right things in training for Wenger to keep him
Yeah, I imagine he's unplayable in practice, scoring and assisting at will. But as soon as the pressure is on he buckles.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
If Welbeck can stay fit for 6 months will finish the Ox at Arsenal. He can fetch above Ibe money & just look what that buys you round Europe in the wide positions.

Sure Wenger would be playing Gnabry ahead of Ox now if the contract wasn't down to month forcing the sale.

Think his contracts up at the end of next season so I imagine he'll sign a new deal somewhere and a loan seems unlikely...

Feel it would be a huge mistake. Its hard to shift these bang average players on big Arsenal money. We have a history of being stuck with them until the end... Ridiculous amount leave on frees or when the contract ends compared to other clubs.

ScotVieira

Established Member
This guy should have gone on loan a few seasons ago but the English media overhype got to him and to Arsène (probably).

He's never showed any real productive capability in his Arsenal career. It has always been about the potential because of his explosiveness. His odd explosiveness costs us more than it ever benefits us as we end up effectively playing with 10 men when he's on the pitch...that's what Theo was for the last 2 seasons as well but Theo seems to have woken up.

We cannot have too many of these guys who throw away possession, are not part of our build up play, are not contributing defensively etc. It is one of the reasons we've won nothing except the 2 FA cups for several seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom