• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

German Football 2017/18

Borussin

AM's Resident Dortmund Fan
Mainz got a good hand with coaches. So guess we gonna see Sandro Schwarz in Dortmund in 5 years i guess :D

And then Liverpool?! I think they can safely skip Thomas Tuchel!

Schwarz played for Jürgen Klopp at Mainz, in fact they where even teammates for the shortest time I think, there is about 10-12 years age difference.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
@Borussin Now that Hamburg are safe you think they might start improving finally from next season onwards? They have some really good money again, right? And went through a bit of restructuring as well. I'm sad Halilovic didn't work out for them.

I've been a follower of HSV since VdV and FIFA.

Oh_Snap

And then Liverpool?! I think they can safely skip Thomas Tuchel!

Schwarz played for Jürgen Klopp at Mainz, in fact they where even teammates for the shortest time I think, there is about 10-12 years age difference.

I still rate Tuchel and i think his tactics are a level above Klopps. But his mind game is weak and he's such a cold bureaucrat. If he could work on that he could become a really great coach. But i guess u don't become a Klopp-like motivation master over night.

Borussin

@Borussin Now that Hamburg are safe you think they might start improving finally from next season onwards? They have some really good money again, right? And went through a bit of restructuring as well. I'm sad Halilovic didn't work out for them.

I've been a follower of HSV since VdV and FIFA.

ya know what, I am no expert on HSV, but my goodness that team is just riding it's luck something terrible last few seasons!

One thing I know, Markus Gisdol did some job getting them out of this mess this season. They started the season horribly, and looked certs to be in the bottom 2.

Regards money, by Bundesliga standards they spent a fair bit last season.

They are a huge club, and seeing them floundering like this isn't so good. I know people who where actually saying it may be better for them to get relegated, like to kick start their ressurgence if you like! Similar to how it happened to Stuttgart last season I guess. But the risk with that is being stuck down in Bundesliga 2 for multiple seasons.

We'll see what they do in the summer, hopefully they can get off to a better start next season!

Borussin

I still rate Tuchel and i think his tactics are a level above Klopps. But his mind game is weak and he's such a cold bureaucrat. If he could work on that he could become a really great coach. But i guess u don't become a Klopp-like motivation master over night.

Oh I rate TT too, I meant it kinda as in a joke, no need for him to follow Kloppo again like he has before :lol:

The tactics thing is interesting, cos I think Klopp gets a bit of a raw deal at times, cos people think it's all about emotion and just pressing, but he's far more than that. But for sure Tuchel goes far more into the intricacies of football, and that in itself is a blessing and a curse. Sometimes I really think he tries to hard to be clever, and it's to the detrement of the team.

But he's a really good coach no doubt about that, and can really go very far in his career. My concern with him is that he's getting a a bit of a poor reputation for being difficult to work with, and that's always a worry I guess.

4R5Emaniac

ya know what, I am no expert on HSV, but my goodness that team is just riding it's luck something terrible last few seasons!

One thing I know, Markus Gisdol did some job getting them out of this mess this season. They started the season horribly, and looked certs to be in the bottom 2.

Regards money, by Bundesliga standards they spent a fair bit last season.

They are a huge club, and seeing them floundering like this isn't so good. I know people who where actually saying it may be better for them to get relegated, like to kick start their ressurgence if you like! Similar to how it happened to Stuttgart last season I guess. But the risk with that is being stuck down in Bundesliga 2 for multiple seasons.

We'll see what they do in the summer, hopefully they can get off to a better start next season!
Haha, yes! They play absolute **** the entire season apart from a few moments resulting in surprise victories to just about save them. Its an achievement in itself!

Agreed, they seemed to have done some work in the summer that looked positive on first look but not so much in reality and screwed it up with the signing of Halilovic. Grisdol came in and somehow saved them it seems.

I have a keen interest in them from time to time and want them to flourish. Totally love their beautiful shirts too! As you say they are a big club and have the potential to do very well. Trouble with being relegated though is that they are so poorly mismanaged and structured the likeliness of being stuck there is high. Looking at the players they have lost over the years due to criminal mismanagement is crazy. All big name players playing for clubs that are relatively doing well or are competing at the top. And they got nothing in terms of cash in return for any of them.

A few times I've googled their affairs however I found they have a new investor sort of and have plenty of money now. Some structural changes and new people as directors or something as well. Don't know much about Grisdol to be able to say if he can take them forward and upward though.

4R5Emaniac

Just read Adler is done. He is too good to keep fighting relegation to be honest. Sad they've lost an important player. The squad looks hilarious really. Surgery needed.

4R5Emaniac

I wonder how much well resourced clubs like Schalke, HsV, Wolfsburg and Leverkusen would do under top foreign coaches. The likes of Pellegrini, Benitez etc. Coaches doing well at Eredivise etc also.

Borussin

I rate Markus Weinzierl, so I'd hope Schalke show patience with him.
Pellegrini - is he a top coach though? Yeah he won with City, but with a ton of money behind him. Benitez for sure a top coach, but I'd think working in Germany would drive him mad, cos he gets very frustrated with people interfering, and wants total control, which he'd not get in Germany.
Germany has a lot of good coaches, I often wonder actually how they'd do in other leagues, cos not many seem to try it!

4R5Emaniac

I rate Markus Weinzierl, so I'd hope Schalke show patience with him.
Pellegrini - is he a top coach though? Yeah he won with City, but with a ton of money behind him. Benitez for sure a top coach, but I'd think working in Germany would drive him mad, cos he gets very frustrated with people interfering, and wants total control, which he'd not get in Germany.
Germany has a lot of good coaches, I often wonder actually how they'd do in other leagues, cos not many seem to try it!
Congrats first of all and sorry for the late reply. Was in a frenzy with our own victory and stepped into Ramadan.

Weinzierl as far as I know did pretty interesting things at Augsburg. Interesting way of playing too. I think I posted about Schalke and Hoffenheim before the start of the season about their prospects under new management. Expected a bit more from Schalke personally but I actually haven't seen them play at all so can't say beyond the results.

As for Pellegrini, he is a top coach imo. Worked wonders at Villareal, did well at Real Madrid and worked his magic on Malaga. Both Villareal and Malaga did well in the CL too. All the while playing very good football and producing good players. His job at City may not have been earth shattering but he won trophies, progressed them furthest in the CL ever and despite being treated a bit poorly. He'd do well imo in a club like Schalke or Hamburg or Bayer and he does well with structuring and development of players. Benitez, I guess you are right that he might not like being meddled with.

There are top coaches and some potentially great ones in Germany of course but my idea was bringing foreign coaches of high caliber would develop the game further. Attract players, a different methodology of football, add diversity and attract international attention etc. Infrastructure wise BuLi is brilliant and very pro development. It would be great if the clubs were more open, ambitious and creative.

Borussin

I think I kinda like the Buli as it is, maybe because it doesn't do these things! And honestly, the top, top coaches probably wouldn't go there anyway, because it doesn't spend the money in it in the same way the premier league does for instance. Of course Bayern are a different breed, they can get Guardiola and Ancelotti cos they know they'll be backed with wages that can attract elite talent.

But you'll never get a situation like you have in the Premier league, cos apart from Bayern, no team can or will match the wages they'd get elswehere and the transfer budgets many of them want to operate with.

There are non German coaches in the league of course, I think there where 8 or 9 last season. But of course, non where 'top' or star coaches apart from Ancelotti.

Plus maybe the buli is as much a development league for coaches as it is players, which isn't a bad thing either.

Regards attracting players - I'm guessing you mean having higher profile coaches would attract more stars. The league is mostly great at allowing players to grow and youngsters to shine, and I'd not want to see that change too much. The leauge still breeds and develops a lot of star players in it's own right, so it's not like it's missing out too much there.

The Buli seems in a pretty good place, it's hugely popular both at home and in other countries, and I think part of the popularity for some is that it does things it's own way, and a bit differently to the other big leagues maybe, certainly different to the premier league. Like with ticket prices, fan interaction, the atmosphere, the style of football, encouraging youth, the 50+1 rule. All this stuff is great imo. And I honestly wouldn't want to see too many drastic changes. Not to say though that there are very good coaches there who would enhance certain clubs and maybe one of them may take the plunge!

I get and respect what your saying, just we have somewhat differing opinions on some of it, all good!

4R5Emaniac

I think I kinda like the Buli as it is, maybe because it doesn't do these things! And honestly, the top, top coaches probably wouldn't go there anyway, because it doesn't spend the money in it in the same way the premier league does for instance. Of course Bayern are a different breed, they can get Guardiola and Ancelotti cos they know they'll be backed with wages that can attract elite talent.

But you'll never get a situation like you have in the Premier league, cos apart from Bayern, no team can or will match the wages they'd get elswehere and the transfer budgets many of them want to operate with.

There are non German coaches in the league of course, I think there where 8 or 9 last season. But of course, non where 'top' or star coaches apart from Ancelotti.

Plus maybe the buli is as much a development league for coaches as it is players, which isn't a bad thing either.

Regards attracting players - I'm guessing you mean having higher profile coaches would attract more stars. The league is mostly great at allowing players to grow and youngsters to shine, and I'd not want to see that change too much. The leauge still breeds and develops a lot of star players in it's own right, so it's not like it's missing out too much there.

The Buli seems in a pretty good place, it's hugely popular both at home and in other countries, and I think part of the popularity for some is that it does things it's own way, and a bit differently to the other big leagues maybe, certainly different to the premier league. Like with ticket prices, fan interaction, the atmosphere, the style of football, encouraging youth, the 50+1 rule. All this stuff is great imo. And I honestly wouldn't want to see too many drastic changes. Not to say though that there are very good coaches there who would enhance certain clubs and maybe one of them may take the plunge!

I get and respect what your saying, just we have somewhat differing opinions on some of it, all good!
Oh, no all good. In terms of players I wasn't thinking stars as per say but players of a different profile and way of playing. Could help in the development of the homegrown players playing with them. Some foreign coaches who work with youngsters in their philosophy could get the best out of them as well.

I get what you are saying and agree with your views though. Just that I thought the BuLi could raise improve their game, results and their profile further bringing in some more recognized coaches.

Borussin

another issue of course is language. The German teams are really insistant mostly that their coaches speak German, which is why you will get the Austrian and the Swiss coaches there quite a lot. And I think that is fair enough. And I've never really understood how coaches can coach in countries without knowing at least a decent level of the language.
You look at Bayer Leverkusen and Mainz 05 this summer, both have very openly said that their new coaches have to speak German. So that's going to hinder a lot of diversity in coaches in the Buli.

4R5Emaniac

another issue of course is language. The German teams are really insistant mostly that their coaches speak German, which is why you will get the Austrian and the Swiss coaches there quite a lot. And I think that is fair enough. And I've never really understood how coaches can coach in countries without knowing at least a decent level of the language.
You look at Bayer Leverkusen and Mainz 05 this summer, both have very openly said that their new coaches have to speak German. So that's going to hinder a lot of diversity in coaches in the Buli.
Yeah, thats a good point. A lot of coaches won't want to learn the language which would kind of render appointing them pointless without being able to communicate properly. I am sure a big reason for the pull the PL have is down to it being English.

Borussin

Yeah, thats a good point. A lot of coaches won't want to learn the language which would kind of render appointing them pointless without being able to communicate properly. I am sure a big reason for the pull the PL have is down to it being English.

For sure.
I rememer more than once when journalists would keep on asking Jürgen Klopp where he'd go if he left Dortmund, and he said the only league he'd ever coach outside Germany was the premier league, simply because he has to be able to communicate with his players.

I do find it odd though that so few German coaches have tried coaching in England considering it is the 2nd language of most of them. Roger Schmidt was interviewed for the Watford job though but he turned them down. Norwich City have taken on a German coach from Dortmund - Daniel Farke, which is pretty progressive of them, hoping he has the same effect as David Wagner no doubt! So maybe since Kloppo went there is now a bit of a movment over to England! But they all seem to be coming from Dortmund, I don't know if that's a thing to be proud of or not that they leave and go over there. If Tuchel does the same I will start to wonder :lol:

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom