• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger's Transfer Targets: Summer 2017

Will we make another signing(s) this summer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

16.06.2017 - Dreadful
17.06.2017 - Dreadful
18.06.2017 - Dreadful
19.06.2017 - Dreadful
20.06.2017 - Dreadful
21.06.2017 - Dreadful
22.06.2017 - Dreadful
23.06.2017 - Dreadful
24.06.2017 - Dreadful
25.06.2017 - Dreadful

carlito'sway

Established Member
You think we're going to spend the best part of €170m-€200m on those two? Just not going to happen. It will be Lemar and Lacazette for €100m-€150m or Mbappe for the same figures.

You're also forgetting that he'd be signing Mbappe with a view to playing him up front. Perhaps not in his first season but more likely in his second and third. Are you then benching Lacazette? Not very likely is it?

Good point. Mbappe is Arsène priority. Laca is the second or third option if Mbappe doesn't happen. They won't come together.

Zazu

We have the potential to be a very good defense. That may happen with Holding as a starter and not Mustafi. Skodran scares the hell out of me.

yeah if we keep the back 3 I'd like to see Holding as first choice next season.

I like the look of him, kos and nacho as the back 3, all of them are great readers of the game and also able to use the ball well. They don't have positional brain farts as much as Mustafi either

carlito'sway

Established Member
PSG is rumored to have made a 70 M Euros for Aguero. However, due to geopolitical reasons, the deal may not happen. (UAE won't entertain selling to Qatar in this current climate).
Aguero is open to leave though since Pep wants to start Gabriel Jesus.
I would much more inclined to bit 70 M on him than 60 M on Laca.

carlito'sway

Established Member
yeah if we keep the back 3 I'd like to see Holding as first choice next season.

I like the look of him, kos and nacho as the back 3, all of them are great readers of the game and also able to use the ball well. They don't have positional brain farts as much as Mustafi either

Agree. With Kos and Nacho, he will have a lot of experience around him. He is a clear talent.
Nacho was such a great buy. Great character too.

Wilshere1010

This is the problem, we're always just making do. We have one good centre back in Koscielny, the rest are average (I rate Holding highly but I'm expecting a dip in form as happens with young players).

We never learn from our mistakes. Conceded over 40 goals last season and yeah we were more solid with 3 at the back but the individual quality of our defenders is overrated. When teams start coming up with systems to counteract 343, what then? Same old frailties will get exposed.

People think Chelsea and City have average defenders but that doesn't help us. Chelsea won the league 20 points ahead of us, they don't need to improve to the extent that we do. City have got some ridiculous attacking firepower, and are unbalanced at the moment, but they will be able to outscore teams in a way we currently won't be able to. Just because they haven't improved their defence, doesn't mean we shouldn't.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I don't see Alexis leaving. His options are limited now since Bayern can't match his wages and Arséne will not sell to City.

I think Alexis is off tbh, either this summer or next. Surely it's better to plan for that eventuality now? Bring in both Lacazette and Mbappe. Maybe Özil hasn't signed and is also going to run his contract down and then leave?

Nobody knows, it's best to get all three in now in my opinion or they'll be snapped up by someone else.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Giroud - 31 in 3 months
Walcott - 28
Alexis - 29 this year
Özil - 29 this year

Our four main attackers in the current squad. Does it not worry you that we could be left hanging? Wenger's always said he wants to leave the club in the best possible place.

Hence why I think he's looking at bringing in Lemar, Mbappe and Lacazette. I don't think Walcott will ever leave but the other three will leave very soon. I'd want players like Lemar and Mbappe to join so they can get to grips with the premier league and be handed over the baton when Alexis/Özil leave.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I think Alexis is off tbh, either this summer or next. Surely it's better to plan for that eventuality now? Bring in both Lacazette and Mbappe. Maybe Özil hasn't signed and is also going to run his contract down and then leave?

Nobody knows, it's best to get all three in now in my opinion or they'll be snapped up by someone else.

Özil is staying. He is already ranting and raving about going to Australia. Sanchez will likely be with us for at least one more season.
What three are you talking about?
Although, we need to stop thinking about Mbappe. I would rate our chances at less than 5%. PSG, according to French media, is willing to offer 135 M Euros for him. At the same time, they are also writing that Mbappe may extend at Monaco with a new salary multiplied by 10. Even if the player wants to come to us, we will have to match PSG or Real offers. I can't see that happening either.

carlito'sway

Established Member
This is the problem, we're always just making do. We have one good centre back in Koscielny, the rest are average (I rate Holding highly but I'm expecting a dip in form as happens with young players).

We never learn from our mistakes. Conceded over 40 goals last season and yeah we were more solid with 3 at the back but the individual quality of our defenders is overrated. When teams start coming up with systems to counteract 343, what then? Same old frailties will get exposed.

People think Chelsea and City have average defenders but that doesn't help us. Chelsea won the league 20 points ahead of us, they don't need to improve to the extent that we do. City have got some ridiculous attacking firepower, and are unbalanced at the moment, but they will be able to outscore teams in a way we currently won't be able to. Just because they haven't improved their defence, doesn't mean we shouldn't.

A back 3 (or 5) gives us more solidity and guarantees. Holding will have dips but will also likely improve a lot. Monreal is solid as well. I am more optimistic with those 3 at the back for next season.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Özil is staying. He is already ranting and raving about going to Australia. Sanchez will likely be with us for at least one more season.
What three are you talking about?
Although, we need to stop thinking about Mbappe. I would rate our chances at less than 5%. PSG, according to French media, is willing to offer 135 M Euros for him. At the same time, they are also writing that Mbappe may extend at Monaco with a new salary multiplied by 10. Even if the player wants to come to us, we will have to match PSG or Real offers. I can't see that happening either.

We wouldn't have gone into fighting for Mbappe if we were not prepared to pay that money. Illogical to think otherwise.

Fair enough if he's staying but he's still 29 this year and didn't exactly have the best of seasons last year. He's still pretty dire against top top opposition.

carlito'sway

Established Member
We wouldn't have gone into fighting for Mbappe if we were not prepared to pay that money. Illogical to think otherwise.

Fair enough if he's staying but he's still 29 this year and didn't exactly have the best of seasons last year. He's still pretty dire against top top opposition.

It is about a bidding war. I don't think we can over bid PSG or Real.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Have people written Mustafi off?

We have a WC CB in Kosc, and 3 great options in Mustafi, Holding and Monreal, a good option in Gabriel and a seasoned veteran in Per.

We have IMO a very steady set of CBs. As much as I would love for us to sign Manolas, it is not a position of any urgency.

Still, people want Holding to start over Mustafi or Monreal... I don't see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom