• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Özil (and Alexis) are not the biggest players we've lost. Let's get behind the club and hope that we sign effective replacements-if they do indeed leave.

:lol:
Arsenal keen to tie down Aaron Ramsey and Danny Welbeck to longer deals

Arsène Wenger wants to push new contract talks with Aaron Ramsey and Danny Welbeck, whose deals at Arsenal expire in the summer of 2019. However, the manager has warned that because of the inflation of the transfer market, more and more players are set to enter the last years on their contracts.

Arsenal have a clutch of players in their final 12 months, most notably Alexis Sánchez and Mesut Özil, and there would be consternation if Ramsey and Welbeck were to go down the same path. Welbeck is currently out until mid-October with a groin injury but he started the season well while Ramsey was impressive in Sunday’s 0-0 draw at Chelsea.

“It is something we want to address,” Wenger said in relation to fresh terms for Ramsey and Welbeck. “Both of them are in a good moment for us. But with the level of transfers and the amounts that players expect on their contracts, you will have more and more players going into the final year of their contracts. You will be in a position where you either extend for money you cannot afford or you go into the final year of their contract.

“This season, there were 107 players in the Premier League who got into the final year of their contract and you will see that more. The clubs want too much money for normal players.

“They say that if one player is worth £200m [like Neymar], then this player is worth £50m. But everybody knows for that player £50m is too much and they cannot afford it. So what happens? The club cannot sell and doesn’t extend the contract, so more and more players are going into the final year of their contract.”

Wenger noted that Germany’s chancellor, Angela Merkel, had recently urged Uefa and Fifa to introduce new rules to control the spending on transfer fees. In light of his suggestion that the market has become increasingly blocked, the Arsenalmanager was asked whether he foresaw the end of fees being paid for players.

“Something will happen,” he replied. “For the first time, on the political front, the German prime minister has come out and, also, the president of Uefa has come out. I think, politically, something will happen in the next 12 months to regulate and limit the transfer amounts.

“You have to go one of two ways – regulate it properly or leave it completely open. You cannot be in between and that is where we are at the moment. It is only to the advantage of some clubs who can deal with the [financial fair play] rules in a legal way.

“The regulation has to be stricter and clearer, or open the market completely and you can do what you want provided you can guarantee you have the money to pay. At the moment, we are a bit in between and that does not work.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...aron-ramsey-danny-welbeck-deals-Arséne-wenger

Alexis and Özil Out = £0.

Welbeck and Ramsey resigned = £0.

Sorting CAM/#10/SS/Anything but CM and LW for £0 = Good business in Stan and Co eyes.

Feeling watching Arsenal Football Club lift the 2018-2019 'Sqaud Cost' Champions trophy = Priceless.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Agreed — the last thing this club needs is a borderline WC player in his prime. Let’s bring in Xhaka’s brother.

We need to move on to a new era of player. The 3 FA Cup's we won since we signed him shows he was an Arsenal great but I think we need a player in behind the striker that can score goals.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
:lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...aron-ramsey-danny-welbeck-deals-Arséne-wenger

Alexis and Özil Out = £0.

Welbeck and Ramsey resigned = £0.

Sorting CAM/#10/SS/Anything but CM and LW for £0 = Good business in Stan and Co eyes.

Feeling watching Arsenal Football Club lift the 2018-2019 'Sqaud Cost' Champions trophy = Priceless.
ATM I would get what we can for Welbeck and Ramsey. If Özil and Alexis won't resign, there's no need to compound the negatives by resigning these two. Lemar and a ball winning CM help us and free up two spaces if all four depart. A financial hit will hurt but if it ensures we sort ourselves out,then good.

Impact

Established Member
Özil to Utd would be a terrible loss for us because we won't sign a better player and he'd strengthen them considerably.

What you have to factor in is that at Arsenal, Wenger has constantly sought for Özil to grow his game (contribute more in the first 2/3rds, add goals etc) but at Utd, Özil would only have to be Özil because Mourinho will build a side that balances and doesn't require more from Mesut than he is capable of.

While Wenger's approach has made Mesut a better player, it has been at the detriment of the team. Whereas if Mesut went to Utd, he wouldn't have to develop his all round game as much but would be more effective.

say yes

forum master baiter
I don’t believe that this is true but even so, just felt the first flicker of hatred flare up inside me.

Reactions: A_G

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Özil isn’t strengthening anybody :lol:

If papers are to be believed he has been offered to certain Italian clubs to avoid a Utd situation and they turned him down.

He and Wenger are suited to each other literally just coasting off of past glories.

Don’t know why Wenger is complaining about contracts, at least players are made to honour them now. He was allowed to drag things to the final day I don’t see why he’s upset when his own players do it. At the very least he has finally accepted that these man don’t give a sh*t and he doesn’t trust them as much to avoid another Liverpool situation-better late than never.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
We need to move on to a new era of player. The 3 FA Cup's we won since we signed him shows he was an Arsenal great but I think we need a player in behind the striker that can score goals.

Ok I’ll bite — what player is available, in terms of both cost and interest in Arsenal, that would score enough goals from the #10 slot to replace Özil's assists?

Last edited:

3 FA Cups even if Arsenal are way behind Chelsea, City and United. You only can be thankful for that Özil gave everything for us to enjoy those 3 cups.

say yes

forum master baiter
Playing Özil in his prime years behind Giroud, Sanogo and Lacazette is the biggest crime in the history of football

giphy.gif

They've literally only played about three games together.

Tywin

I must admit I didn't think much of Özil first time I laid eyes on him; looked like a stiff breeze would blow him over. That was my first impression of the man.

10 cigarettes he's off to Utd.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Going to laugh so hard at all the clowns who lapped up his little letter like kittens when he does sign for United. If Wenger actually has benched him because he knows he's off, I may just have found the tiniest little shred of respect for him again.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
He's not a Lukaku, Kane, etc. who can massively improve an average team, but he was incredible at RM and still arguably Germany's best / most important player. He's still, to some extent, wasted at Arsenal, but playing for Mou again, with Pogba and Matic behind him and all that pace (and skill) up front, he'll 'somehow' reach a level we don't often see here.

That said, I still am not fully convinced United will move for him -- with Mata and Mkhitaryan already in the side, I think they'll prioritize Griezmann, wingers, and fullbacks.

Jojoba

Agree that its pointless, but it still exist.

Anyway, "nice" football is subjective. Tiki taka is nice, Wengerball is nice, great counter attacks are nice, but I get what you mean. Winning is definitely the common denominator. Although you've most definitely deviated from the main point of the argument. You've missed the point, the English players may be technically gifted, but you only need to look at modern football to know that they are pretty one styled. Gerrard is a great player, so was Lampard, and they are the archetypal midfield lynch-pin that all British players want to become.

Anyway, you seem to assume plenty of stuffs, one of them being that I look down on English players.

Who would you rather have at their peek? Özil or one of these 2 English players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom