• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Le Grove is interesting character. Spent many years as Wenger outer, and now he's bigging Arteta on twitter:lol:

He had an OK blog for a while. Had good points on being Wenger out.

He moved to the states and started fishing with click-bait articles, very breitbart-y. Couldn't stand it/him longer and unfollowed.

The millenial version of Myles Palmer.

Xanth

A charlatan is a fraud, Dyche isn't a fraud. The reason Burnley are overperforming so far above their xG etc is because of the defensive system he has created whereby they allow the opposition lots of shots but very few high quality ones. It's not like they're Utd where they just have a pure miracle-worker in goal and so concede far fewer than they should.

7th of outstanding overachievement from Burnley, but that overachievement has come from Dyche, hasn't come out of nowhere.

Okay, I exaggerated when I called him a fraud, but my point still stands. His defensive system is perfect for a team like Burnley but not suitable for a team looking to complete for the title. His team struggles to create good chances even in comparison to other midtable teams and while a good defence may be what ultimately wins you the league, you need to create to win the matches.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I can't like this post enough. Every other young manager spouts that nonsense, forgetting that football is about more than attacking and having the ball. If you love the ball and to attack, you got to build a coherent system around that, like Guardiola, Heynckes, Tuchel. You got to know exactly what to do with the ball when you have it that much, or else it's useless possession - something we've seena lot with Arsenal in recent seasons.

There's not too many guys out there who can outright attack against any opposition and still win consistently. There are a lot of possession based teams in La Liga or even in the Bundesliga when competing with teams on their level, but they're still found out too often with their style, sometimes reverting back to transitional or even counter strategies.

Saying you want to have the ball and attack is the most generic thing you could say about attacking minded possession football. It's virtually non-descriptive and doesn't give any insight into how you actually want to play.

That's why I'm very, very wary of someone like Viera, too. Neither on nor off the pitch does he seem like some sort of above average manager with a distinct style, like you can see with Nagelsmann for example.

I was just going to mention Nagelsmann. Obviously i'd be very happy with a coach coming in who'll set us up to score lots of goals, but there has to be a clear plan behind that. That's why I like Nagelsmann, we'd visibly alter the way we play with him in charge. It's also why I wouldn't mind Dyche; we wouldn't be as attacking but there would be a clear style of play. Clear plans beat vague ideas every day of the week.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Okay, I exaggerated when I called him a fraud, but my point still stands. His defensive system is perfect for a team like Burnley but not suitable for a team looking to complete for the title.

Atletico won the title and reached a Champions League final playing a similar way.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Arsenal are a club who set trends, we do not follow them. Appointing Allegri would go against this. We initiated the trend of appointing foreign managers, it is time to start the trend of taking risks on young managers. Hopefully doing so will have a knock-on effect on the mid-table/bottom half teams who continuously appoint the same group of old, English managers.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Arsenal are a club who set trends, we do not follow them. Appointing Allegri would go against this. We initiated the trend of appointing foreign managers, it is time to start the trend of taking risks on young managers. Hopefully doing so will have a knock-on effect on the mid-table/bottom half teams who continuously appoint the same group of old, English managers.

Errrmmm, Sp**s and Chelsea had foreign managers before we did. Cretin.

Xanth

Atletico won the title and reached a Champions League final playing a similar way.

Fair enough, but I haven’t seen anything which suggests Dyche is remotely at that level or that he can replicate this season’s success over a sustained period. Last season, Burnley finished 14th, I think.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

You don't just say you're going to start a trend and have it become a trend. It doesn't work that way. The Edsel never became a trend. New Coke was a spectacular failure. Arsenal needs to appoint the manager who gives them the best opportunity to compete at the top of the table, regardless of age or nationality. There is little or no upside in taking a risk on an unproven manager. It's more likely to be a recipe for disaster. Better someone who can fix Arsenal's defensive problems quickly and take advantage of the attacking talent this club has. It would be a shame to waste such talent on a manager who needs to grow into the job. I'm too old to have Arsenal fool around a mid-table for a few years on some wild goose chase.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

Pablo Dean as ITK is banned in here or not ?

We have a few deanciples on the forum, mate. I'm sure they'll be frothing at the mouth when he hints at a 'big signing' this summer, only to be proven right because we are Arsenal and big signings are pretty much a given in our current state.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
No he wasn't. His point was we started a trend, we didn't. Gullit did well at Chelsea as well. Ardiles was ****.

His point, as I understood, was that Arsenal has a history of being an innovative club. Forgetting for a sec the likes of Chapman, Wenger's appointment was innovative because he brought new methods and an influx of foreign players. Yeah there were foreign managers beforehand but they didn't really change anything at all. So to say that we have a history of innovation and should continue with that is a fair point to make.

Xanth

Fun fact: Juventus is 6th in Serie A, if you look at xG table.

Only clubs with shamble defense care about xG stat, like us.

They’re second in xG conceded, which somewhat balances it out. They were much more impressive in the previous seasons and this one is kind of an outlier.

City were the best team according to xG last season but didn’t win the league because they wasted chances and conceded soft goals. They’ve improved in that regard this season and they’ve walked the league. Chelsea were clearly overperforming their xG last season because of clinical forwards like Hazard, Pedro and Costa and this season they’re fifth because they’ve regressed to the mean. I always look at the 3-1 win at Etihad where City wasted many chances to consolidate their lead before Chelsea clinically took theirs on the counter and won. It was like a partial summary of how the season went for both the teams.

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
You don't just say you're going to start a trend and have it become a trend. It doesn't work that way. The Edsel never became a trend. New Coke was a spectacular failure. Arsenal needs to appoint the manager who gives them the best opportunity to compete at the top of the table, regardless of age or nationality. There is little or no upside in taking a risk on an unproven manager. It's more likely to be a recipe for disaster. Better someone who can fix Arsenal's defensive problems quickly and take advantage of the attacking talent this club has. It would be a shame to waste such talent on a manager who needs to grow into the job. I'm too old to have Arsenal fool around a mid-table for a few years on some wild goose chase.

I don't think we have time to f*ck about with someone like Arteta, but Nagelsmann for example, who knows what he's doing, would fit the bill of being a young coach but also one who can achieve things straight away.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
His point, as I understood, was that Arsenal has a history of being an innovative club. Forgetting for a sec the likes of Chapman, Wenger's appointment was innovative because he brought new methods and an influx of foreign players. Yeah there were foreign managers beforehand but they didn't really change anything at all. So to say that we have a history of innovation and should continue with that is a fair point to make.

You give @SiMamu too much credit if you think he thought that deeply about it.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
If Vieira is on a short list, it's perfectly logical he would make himself available for discussions - doesn't mean he gets the main gig

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Fun fact: Juventus is 6th in Serie A, if you look at xG table.

Only clubs with shamble defense care about xG stat, like us.
Going by this they would be second, but massively outperforming xG either way, and have been for years. Which means it's probably to do with their style of play being very clever, knowing exactly when to attack and when to sit back.

Overall, it's a very good measure, though for performance vs. actual points on the board. Not 100% fool proof, but nothing is.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Dean occasionally knows stuff

He doesn’t just make everything up

I just feel we really should be signing an elite manager (Allegri)

If he fails then you go the young exciting route

It’s too big an undertaking in terms of current context for a youngen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom