• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere: Where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we give Jack a new contract, it will confirm all my deepest fears and suspicions, that replacing Arsène will change nothing at Arsenal.
The mediocrity will continue under a new coach.
Jack is the personification of what has been wrong with this club for many years now.
Unprofessional, exploitative of Arsenal and Arsène's good nature. Below par performances - only really trying when his contract comes up for renewal.
Accepting players of this, mediocre/below average calibre, is why Arsenal are currently in shjt state. Even Bournemouth sent him back to us.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
We should sell now. In a couple of seasons he'll be unsellable.

He's out of contract. I'm not really fussed either way, if he stays its as a squad player because he's not good enough to be a starter. Then if he stays is he holding back younger players? Probably, so best let him go.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
A colossal mistake in my humble opinion. This guy should have been allowed to walk. I hope I am wrong, but there is nothing in my opinion that shows Jack Wilshere will be influential on the field for Arsenal going forward.

I agree, he hasn't shown anything this past season that suggests he can get back to anywhere near the Jack of old. Shame, I've always been a big fan but if he stays as a squad player he's holding younger players back.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Shall we start with the smoking? This is all well documented, as are his altercations outside pubs and clubs in the early hours.
As a fan who was privileged to witness many a world class performance from the likes of players such as Dennis Bergkamp and Patrick Vieira, it is no coincidence that players of this class made huge compromises to ensure they reached and maintained peak fitness, for the sake of the team. No cheeky glass of wine on Xmas day, no salt on their dinner, no sugar added to their desserts.
No need to rewrite history here, it is all well documented. Read it and then compare and contrast!
I'm not comparing their quality at all but Zidane smoked like a train. Didn't hurt him. Smoking is not the end of the world. Also one of the things Wilshere himself credits his improved fitness to is cutting dairy and gluten out of his diet. That rather clearly is a sacrifice and a commitment, is it not? We can argue how effective he has been, there can be no argument that he's been healthier and he believes at least in part that an improved diet is the reason. It doesn't seem fair to ignore that (if you were even aware of it) and harp on about smoking, which we don't even know if he still does.

I'm not comparing their quality at all but Zidane smoked like a train. Didn't hurt him. Smoking is not the end of the world. Also one of the things Wilshere himself credits his improved fitness to is cutting dairy and gluten out of his diet. That rather clearly is a sacrifice and a commitment, is it not? We can argue how effective he has been, there can be no argument that he's been healthier and he believes at least in part that an improved diet is the reason. It doesn't seem fair to ignore that (if you were even aware of it) and harp on about smoking, which we don't even know if he still does.
Are you saying smoking improves health and fitness? (You really don't need me to tell you about the derogatory effects of smoking, surely)!
Maybe Zidane was getting desperate for a ciggy when he got himself sent off for an early bath - and no doubt a fag - in that World Cup final?
Zidane and Jack are talented, good footballers of course. But how much better might they have been (and the guys I used to play Sunday football with who'd be gasping on a fag at half time) if they hadn't smoked?
We'll never know HOW much fitter they'd have been, but they would have been fitter 100%.
Doing everything one can to be in top condition, for the sake of the team, is the least any professional in any sport should do.
The likes of Dennis Compton, George Best, Gazza, Charlie Nicholas, Merse, Adams and co, falling around pissed in Barnet on a Saturday night was yesterday. This is today. If Arsène did one thing to change football in this country, it was moving on from the pjsshead culture of English footballers relying too much on their natural talent and introducing a professional, wholistic approach to training, lifestyle and playing.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Are you saying smoking improves health and fitness? (You really don't need me to tell you about the derogatory effects of smoking, surely)!
Maybe Zidane was getting desperate for a ciggy when he got himself sent off for an early bath - and no doubt a fag - in that World Cup final?
Zidane and Jack are talented, good footballers of course. But how much better might they have been (and the guys I used to play Sunday football with who'd be gasping on a fag at half time) if they hadn't smoked?
We'll never know HOW much fitter they'd have been, but they would have been fitter 100%.
Doing everything one can to be in top condition, for the sake of the team, is the least any professional in any sport should do.
The likes of Dennis Compton, George Best, Gazza, Charlie Nicholas, Merse, Adams and co, falling around pissed in Barnet on a Saturday night was yesterday. This is today. If Arséne did one thing to change football in this country, it was moving on from the pjsshead culture of English footballers relying too much on their natural talent and introducing a professional, wholistic approach to training, lifestyle and playing.
The first sentence tells me you don't want to have a serious discussion. Come on now mate. Obviously I'm not saying it improves fitness. The idea that it dooms you to mediocrity is however patently false and you know that. Now you bring up guys you played Sunday football with? Come on, be serious. Yes one would like to think that a footballer would do everything possible to be as fit as possible. However I'm sure there are things you could do differently in your own life that may make you perform better at your job and don't. And again that you want to pick on a habit we don't even know for certain he still has while giving him no credit for something that has shown a tangible improvement in his fitness leads me to believe that you just have an agenda and aren't serious about having a real discussion.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
which we don't even know if he still does.
Wanted to add to my post that I don;t think Jack has been smoking. Certainly he has not throughout the season. If he picks u a fag in the off season I have no complaints whatsoever and if it is a couple here and there I wouldn;t stress too much either.

The first sentence tells me you don't want to have a serious discussion. Come on now mate. Obviously I'm not saying it improves fitness. The idea that it dooms you to mediocrity is however patently false and you know that. Now you bring up guys you played Sunday football with? Come on, be serious. Yes one would like to think that a footballer would do everything possible to be as fit as possible. However I'm sure there are things you could do differently in your own life that may make you perform better at your job and don't. And again that you want to pick on a habit we don't even know for certain he still has while giving him no credit for something that has shown a tangible improvement in his fitness leads me to believe that you just have an agenda and aren't serious about having a real discussion.
Sunday football is one thing Batman, Premiership is something entirely different!
I have my opinion and you have yours, which I respect.
But you be serious for a moment.
Arsenal deserves totally dedicated players who will give not 95, but 100% for the team, particularly when they are earning 3x times the annual average wage in one week! Is that too much to ask? For just a short time in a guy's working life?
Personally, I think that smoking by a professional team player in any sport is disrespectful to their team mates. And Arsène thought so too. But Arsène is a little more forgiving than I. I wonder how a Pep or a Mourinho would react to one of their players smoking and brawling outside a night club?
OK, he was young, we all make mistakes when we are young. So I would have given him the one warning and made him apologise to his team mates. Second time, he would have been sacked.
Point taken, as you say, he may well not be doing that anymore and for his sake and the good of the team, I hope he isn't smoking and drinking anymore and I hope he is training properly and sticking to his diet. He, the team, the manager, the fans should expect no less of Jack. Or any other Arsenal player.
This is the last reply I make to the subject of Jack's smoking, I am not a counsellor, nor am I interested in helping anymore members of this forum as they squirm and try to validate their own filthy habit.

Pat Rice

Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy
I think he is off. Nothing to base it on. Emery was very professional in his press conference but something in his body language made me feel like he wouldn't be re-signed. I'm fine with him leaving in all honesty.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I think he is off. Nothing to base it on. Emery was very professional in his press conference but something in his body language made me feel like he wouldn't be re-signed. I'm fine with him leaving in all honesty.
The very fact that he said that we will still be looking at the group and who we want to keep etc when asked specifically about Jack is telling for me. He is reluctant to cause a stir now but it seemed to me as well that he doesn't see him in his plans.

Pat Rice

Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy
The very fact that he said that we will still be looking at the group and who we want to keep etc when asked specifically about Jack is telling for me. He is reluctant to cause a stir now but it seemed to me as well that he doesn't see him in his plans.

Agreed. He made a very corporate line when he said that. Think he would’ve been more delibrate if he wanted him more. Also note an increase in links to CMs

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I feel like he would’ve signed by now if he was set on staying. He’s jobless next week.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Just a bit of fun, so don't get your panties in a twist over stats....

"Progressive passing and runs leaders in the big five leagues." (per 90)

Jack's the only English lad on the list,

The only thing I see is that Özil is #5 on that list behind players who play in league winning billion $ teams. :)

Oh and Wilsh is the last name on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom