• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Petr Cech: Retiring at the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemetoss

He no longer wastes time trying to find the perfect pass. If he can't pass it out properly with 2 touches or less he just goes for the the long ball.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
Can't see Leno getting much game time in the league if Cech carries on playing like this.

I believe it's down to four basic things:

1. A respectable competition from Leno.
2. Better coaching team.
3. Better defenders.
4. Couldn't be arsed to imitate Neuer, Ederson and others of that ilk.

Wryer

He was simply quite brilliant yesterday.

Due credit must be given to Cech for reinventing himself. Not just with the passing game. I think he has improved his shot stopping on those midlow drives, also his handling on corners. For a 36 year old man, it's not easy at all.

Even his much criticised passing was much more decisive last night.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Watching Cech's performances it really makes you wonder how bad the GK training was under Wenger.

Cech already looks better than last year.

Isn’t that why Woj left? Apparently he fell out massively with Gerry Peyton but the club backed Peyton :lol:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Isn’t that why Woj left? Apparently he fell out massively with Gerry Peyton but the club backed Peyton :lol:
I don't think it's the sole reason but there were certainly rumours mainly through his father that behind the scenes the training wasn't great.

Cech was outstanding yesterday.

isop

@GunnerBP @Rex Banner @bingobob

I think Cech is benefitting from the new gk coaching and overall tactical coaching for the team, and it appears Szczesny has been too in Serie A.

He's apparently improved in Serie A, rated as the best gk in the league in his last season for Roma and Juve appeared to be happy with him as Buffon's successor.

"I learnt more in four months under Spalletti than in 10 years in England. He puts a lot of importance on details and wants the goalkeeper to be able to play the ball with his feet."

http://kwese.espn.com/football/arse...-4-months-at-roma-than-in-10-years-at-arsenal

t “I think in general, the coaches in Italy are much more tactical, that’s just how the league works,” says Szczęsny. “Whether it was [Luciano] Spalletti at Roma or Max Allegri here, the preparation for the game is different to what I was used to in England. You work on the shape of the team for a particular match all week. At Arsenal you’d just prepare physically for it but here you watch film analysing a specific opponent before the game and afterwards we’ll watch again to see what worked and what didn’t.

“I enjoyed working with some great coaches at Arsenal, Roma and here, but the goalkeeping school in Italy is very different, it’s very technical and pays more attention to the details. It’s really made a difference for me because I started playing at a very young age with Arsenal and as you play you gain experience and that’s how you grow. But, honestly, I couldn’t say from a technical standpoint that I improved in any way from when I became first-choice at Arsenal until the day I left for Roma.

“However, in the two-and-a-half years since I came to Italy, I’ve improved massively which is thanks to the coaches and the way they work. It’s not about improving when you play, it’s every day in training you have to work on every aspect of your game and that’s something I’ve really enjoyed.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...tus-gianluigi-buffon-retirement-a8002836.html

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
“It comes from the preparation, the everyday work and from the manager’s way of playing the game, as well,” Cech said. “We work very hard every day to give ourselves the chance to compete with everybody and hopefully it will be working even better than it has been for the last four games.

“He is very demanding and this is how you improve. I think the place has become much more demanding in every way so this is great to see because this is what initially drives everybody forward and gives you the kind of kick that: ‘I’m not doing enough to start the game’ or ‘I’m not doing enough to keep my spot in the game,’ because the manager asked for precision and hard work every day. This is how it should be. We have very healthy competition and we are actually taking the benefit of it.”
Surprising to hear an experienced head like Cech make that admission in public

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...sène-wenger-style-arsenal-unai-emery-football

Petr Cech believes that Arsenal have fallen short in recent years because their obsession with playing football in a certain way under Arsène Wenger was more important than victory itself.

The 36-year-old goalkeeper has seen a change of mentality under Unai Emery, whom he suggested was more demanding than Wenger, and he felt it was on display in Sunday’s 2-0 home win over Everton.

Arsenal were poor in the first half and were it not for Cech, who made a string of excellent saves, they would have been behind. But they shook their heads clear after the interval to tough out the win and Cech took pleasure in the “ugly” success. It was the club’s fourth Premier League win in succession.

Unai Emery’s system beats out a dull rhythm that fails to entrance | Jacob Steinberg

“What we lacked in the past – I would say the ‘Arsenal way’ was more important than getting the points sometimes and this is not how you win the league,” said Cech, who was a champion on four occasions at his previous club, Chelsea. “Sometimes you need to make sure you win an ugly game, when you are not playing completely well but you just dig deep, close the back door and win 1-0 no matter how.

“I think this is what we lacked over the last three years, since I arrived [in 2015]. Against Everton, we went through difficult moments in the game but we managed to get the win and with the clean sheet so this is very positive.”

Wenger was synonymous with a purity of style but he came to be accused of giving his players an easy ride. It did not seem unrelated that they would be susceptible to breakdowns in matches. Under Emery, the training has been more intense and varied, and Cech feels that the squad is developing a greater focus.

“It comes from the preparation, the everyday work and from the manager’s way of playing the game, as well,” Cech said. “We work very hard every day to give ourselves the chance to compete with everybody and hopefully it will be working even better than it has been for the last four games.

“He is very demanding and this is how you improve. I think the place has become much more demanding in every way so this is great to see because this is what initially drives everybody forward and gives you the kind of kick that: ‘I’m not doing enough to start the game’ or ‘I’m not doing enough to keep my spot in the game,’ because the manager asked for precision and hard work every day. This is how it should be. We have very healthy competition and we are actually taking the benefit of it.”

“This club hasn’t won the league for over 10 years so obviously you need to get back to knowing how to do it. We started with the new manager from scratch, basically, and we try to get this mentality of winning every game, progressing every game, working every day and, hopefully, we can build this up and win the title sooner rather than later.

“It was a great win against Everton because, having lost our first two games of the season, we needed to bounce back and now we have four wins in a row – two away, two at home – and we are in a much better place.”

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Easier for Cech to say it because he was already proven before he got here

Hope he spoke up about wanting to play his game, honesty with himself and to the team

hyruga2

Leave Theo alone!!!
Persisting with Theo Walcott for 13 years was the worst mistake Wenger made. Not only do Theo had horrible misses, he also doesn't intercept or have any decent touches.

No matter how badly he played, there was no chance for Gnarby, Joel Campbell, Adobe, Akpom. They will never play because Wenger field players by seniority and never by the hardwork they put during training.

Wryer

To be rather blunt - what style are we talking about over the last 3 years?

We lost everything identity wise. It is time to find one again.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
To be rather blunt - what style are we talking about over the last 3 years?

We lost everything identity wise. It is time to find one again.

Yep, exactly. I could tolerate finishing fourth playing amazing attacking football and fighting it off in exciting games with 5 or 8 goals, like in 2010-2013... But after that our style faded and from 2016 onwards we were a turgid team that couldn't win or entertain even if our lives depended on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom