• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
We'll still struggle to find a place for Özil week in week out.
think Özil's biggest problem is Xhaka. You can't really have both of them on the pitch and play press game.
still, it's a good problem to have, if we bring in another energetic CM.

as for posession vs counter football, why not both?
that's where modern football is going, not one way or another.
Unai talked about it, how he wants to combine those 2, and I am curious to see how he does it in his first real season here, next one.

basically you need skillful players all over the pitch, with a good dose of energy and fight in them.
lot's of our potential targets have those qualities, which is intriguing, the rest is yet to be seen

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Rather keep Iwobi, still young and could improve further to offer something more. Mikhi on the the other hand, is finished.
But a finished Miki is still giving a lot more than Iwobi at present. Would you think gambling on Iwobi becoming as productive as miki at his best would be a safe punt?

Impact

Established Member
Mkhi isn't offering that much anymore and is on big wages. Even if Iwobi doesn't get it together / improve that much, we should still £20 m+ in a couple of seasons.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We'll still struggle to find a place for Özil week in week out.
think Özil's biggest problem is Xhaka. You can't really have both of them on the pitch and play press game.
still, it's a good problem to have, if we bring in another energetic CM.

as for posession vs counter football, why not both?
that's where modern football is going, not one way or another.
Unai talked about it, how he wants to combine those 2, and I am curious to see how he does it in his first real season here, next one.

basically you need skillful players all over the pitch, with a good dose of energy and fight in them.
lot's of our potential targets have those qualities, which is intriguing, the rest is yet to be seen
I came here to post this. This issue is not confined to just Özil and Xhaka,

Our whole team is technically inferior, but because of @Jury shenanigans, this becomes all about Özil.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I came here to post this. This issue is not confined to just Özil and Xhaka,

Our whole team is technically inferior, but because of @Jury shenanigans, this becomes all about Özil.
It’s Xhaka’s fault as well now, along with a thousand other excuses made exclusively for this world class player. Who do we blame for the other inconsistent/poor performers? Oh, I almost forgot... EMERY!!! Can’t belive I haven’t read it’s Emerys fault for Xhaka being a wooden-top... Oh, Emery was the making of him, that’s right.

The question is though: Where does Jury fit in to all this?

The blame game :drool:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It’s Xhaka’s fault as well now, along with a thousand other excuses made exclusively for this world class player. Who do we blame for the other inconsistent/poor performers? Oh, I almost forgot... EMERY!!! Can’t belive I haven’t read it’s Emerys fault for Xhaka being a wooden-top... Oh, Emery was the making of him, that’s right.

As soon as you accept that our £400m+ squad can’t get anywhere near City’s £900m+ squad over the long term, the happier you’ll be.

You can stop blaming Wenger, Özil, Xhaka, Emery, Uncle Tom Cobbly or whoever . . . . it’s very liberating and does wonders for stress levels.:drool:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I thought moving to the Grove was about buying players like Özil and competing at the highest level but apparently Stan wasn’t interested in winning stuff.
Spot on. That was the original idea but two things smashed that on the head.
1. Stan came
2. The stadium debt hampered us more than we thought. For teams that didn’t change their stadiums at that time, they were able to outspend us easily. If it wasn’t for Wenger we should have been mid table. Buying a stadium now, with all the TV money is a lot easier as Sp**s and others have shown.

So we bought Özil and had a team around him with more holes than a colander.

alboots101

Established Member
Yes Makingtrax, one thing that AW got right was balancing finances and keeping us in the top four through what could’ve been a horrible time for the club, but he couldn’t sustain the football side of things. We couldn’t continue punching above our weight.
Well, that’s how I saw it.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Özil is symbolic of people searching for scapegoats when the actual problem is something else.

I see you routinely criticize his performances but not accepting that a team of our stature should be able to play multiple players like Özil and Mkhi

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Özil is symbolic of people searching for scapegoats when the actual problem is something else.

I see you routinely criticize his performances but not accepting that a team of our stature should be able to play multiple players like Özil and Mkhi
The words 'Özil' and 'scapegoat' shouldn't be in the same sentence. Ever. Because he's not, and has never been made a scapegoat. Özil's problem is Özil. Don't let anything else enter the equation.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Even if I agree with you, the problem will remain
Lets hope not. We're on the cusp of a EL final where anything can happen in a one-off game... If we win that, with or without Mesut, we'd have won our first european trophy since 1994! I'd take that problem every year.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Lets hope not. We're on the cusp of a EL final where anything can happen in a one-off game... If we win that, with or without Mesut, we'd have won our first european trophy since 1994! I'd take that problem every year.
we almost went all the way last time too.

Our team is very bad technically and blaming the only creative player in the team is not smart.

He proved himself when we had Cazorla and Alexis. I wanted to have something similar, and not some of the completely defensive side nowadays. Early days still, hopefully we will get better moving forward.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
we almost went all the way last time too.

Our team is very bad technically and blaming the only creative player in the team is not smart.

He proved himself when we had Cazorla and Alexis. I wanted to have something similar, and not some of the completely defensive side nowadays. Early days still, hopefully we will get better moving forward.
Sanchez and Cazorla were the creative force in midfield and the final 3rd. Özil benefits from it and gets the final ball, to claim the assists. For me the creativity comes from the build up, not the assist. And Özil rarely contributes much or look dangerous in it.
Unless we get some creative talents, Özil wouldn’t perform. He is a perfect player to play the final ball. But he was not the creative player in our build up.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Sanchez and Cazorla were the creative force in midfield and the final 3rd. Özil benefits from it and gets the final ball, to claim the assists. For me the creativity comes from the build up, not the assist. And Özil rarely contributes much or look dangerous in it.
Unless we get some creative talents, Özil wouldn’t perform. He is a perfect player to play the final ball. But he was not the creative player in our build up.
He's been playing deeper for the whole season and that's why we're playing better. But obviously then we don't have the final ball.

GunnerShy

Spot on. That was the original idea but two things smashed that on the head.
1. Stan came
2. The stadium debt hampered us more than we thought. For teams that didn’t change their stadiums at that time, they were able to outspend us easily. If it wasn’t for Wenger we should have been mid table. Buying a stadium now, with all the TV money is a lot easier as Sp**s and others have shown.

So we bought Özil and had a team around him with more holes than a colander.

Don’t agree with your comments on Sp**s. They’ve net spent nearly nothing over the last 5-7 years and I suspect will enter into a protracted period of pain like we have to pay off the stadium. They “got lucky” in that they’ve recruited well and sold players like Bale, Modric for large sums that they’ve mostly reinvested. And developed good home grown players.

I think we’ve done a decent job in recent times building our commercial revenue but the management of our players on the “sell” side of the equation has been nothing short of economic vandalism.

When you look at the table though, 3 similarly sized clubs with similar financial clout (arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham) are all very evenly poised. Liverpool are having a blinder and have built a better squad by selling coutinho, Suarez and reinvesting the funds well.

The whole equation is skewed by an Oil money ran club that cheats the ffp rules and distorts the market. But if EPL and UEFA do nothing then more fool us for sinking money into our clubs hoping to win the league again one day.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You're doing it again :lol:. This is not happening. It's a classic strawman. Our overall poor performances are down to everybody, not Özil. He's part of the problem like everybody else is. Surely it's easier to accept he's part of the problem, rather than fabricate him being the sole cause?

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You're doing it again :lol:. This is not happening. It's a classic strawman. Our overall poor performances are down to everybody, not Özil. He's part of the problem like everybody else is.
Exactly, we should be discussing this in the tactics or squad threads and not saying 'why isn't Özil playing well?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom