• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Liverpool vs Arsenal | Saturday, 17:30 BST | Sky Sports

What is your predicted result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OSBK

Established Member
Nah disagree tbh, I don't like the 'sympathy' either but Liverpool are miles a head of us, in nearly every department. Look at what they've done over the last year, CL, 97pts, the Barca game.

We're not near them atm and theres no shame in saying it.

Hindsight is funny, had we gone head to head it could of been over within 30 minutes, there is no guarantee we'd of scored doing that either.

I did say liverpool were a good side and credit to them for the CL but this god like status they have with the media is well over the top. But this is not new, before the Sp**s game today and since the start if the season the pundits have been on the Sp**s bandwagon. Today will be a blip for Sp**s in the media and they will still be a better side than us. When it comes to us we have gone from being ripped to shreds to this sympathy thing. Media rant over :lol:

Is there a quality difference, of course but no doubt much worst teams than us will draw or beat liverpool this season.

Symbia

Who ever is handling Arsenal social media needs to stop.Posting video of Pepe turning Arnold inside out ok fine.But after few hours they post the nug met of willock have they forgotten we lost the ****ing match.Its like rubbing salt to fresh wounds and pretty embarrassing to be honest.
I actually enjoyed the video.
His skill on the ball is so underrated.

Hoping he develop to a monster of a midfielder.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I would at least understand the people moaning about us not going for Liverpool it we had a full strength eleven.

Trying to say we should have done so with the patchwork back four we have just doesn’t make sense to me. Even if we did have our full strength eleven, Barca and City have lost 4 and 3 nil trying to go at them.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Some fans really have no clue. We used to come here and look like little boys who had given up before the whistle had been blown.

We didn't play the most attractive football, but Liverpool are the best team on the planet if last season's CL win means anything. Not to mention the fact they are unbeaten in god's knows how long at Anfield.

Even given all that, we were actually unlucky to not be ahead at one stage. Pepe's finesse shot from outside the box, his 1on1 and Auba's lob. You can say they came from luck all you want but at the end of the day our pacey front line was to force and profit from errors. On another day we would have scored 1 or 2 of those and it could have been a closer game.

It's so easy for these idiot pundits and commentators to say "you've got to wonder how the game would have gone if Arsenal had just set up like this from the beginning" (when we had our front 3 on the pitch, and a more attacking set up), but that was after the game was over and Liverpool's foot was off the gas. In my opinion we wouldnt have lasted to the 41st minute if we played 3 in attack.

So many times we have gone to Anfield and stubbornly tried to play our game; and looked like absolute fools. This time we still got easily beat due to our gap in quality, but its baby steps. If you expected to bridge the gap to Liverpool/City in one window you're utterly deluded.

Last edited:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Basically the Champions League winning team vs

- 21 year old CM playing RB
- CB with his debut away game for us
- 33 year old ageing LB who's being shipped off soon
- 20 year old, 23 year old, 20 year old in midfield (the latter two having less than 10 starts combined in the Premier League)
-First start for Pepe

Missing a first choice RB, CB, LB (as well as Torreira not being fully fit)

Start properly judging us a few games down the season, 6 points out of 9 and we dropped the 3 at Anfield

Kanonier

We were clearly outclassed by Liverpool, but a 3-1 defeat at Anfield without a fully fit squad is encouraging. I think that once we have Tierny, Holding, Torreira and Bellerin fully fit, this team is going to be scary. Pepe showed signs of what is to come and that’s exciting. I think that if we are able to ship out Mustafi and sign Upamecano in January we’ll be back in the CL and will have a team with a solid core.

One thing that Arsenal needs to do is sell Xhaka. He’s not terrible, but he’s not world class. We need to replace him and we’ll have a decent team to go for the EPL.

WhiteArse

A lot of people are moaning about not playing to full strength. We can't play the full squad. Some of us have not realised that we need our front three to gel.

Had we played our 9, 14 and 19 in LIVARS match, and ended up with some scoring, the feedback would be tremendous from the fanbase.

Yet, if they fail to produce any results, we will simply be drenched by those media c***'s in their c**.

As much as some say LIV have yet to gel and warm up for the season, same goes for our new signings. Give us some time, let us trash the Spuds and get them back on the home game!

zilfy

Anyway, 0 points at Anfield doesn't define our season. Win against Sp**s and we go to the international break with confidence.
That's it- the consequences of losing at Anfield is so incongruent with the doom and gloom on this thread.

And all the doom mongers writing off our first two performances as irrelevant- and yet Burnley just drew away to wolves and Newcastle just beat Sp**s away- those teams we bet are clearly not just relegation fodder.

6 from 9 with the hardest fixture of the season out of the way. Everything's okay people

The team will be stronger when everyone’s fit but we lack cover at RB, CB and LB. I like AMN but he’s no RB, I like Monreal but he’s past his best, I don’t like Luiz and he’s been culpable for all 4 goals conceded in the 2 games he’s played - I hope he’s dropped when Holding is fit but I wouldn’t bet on it. Yesterday wasn’t our worst performance at Anfield but we looked very vulnerable when playing the hall out and we were far too narrow. I’d like us to play 433 and I think the back 4 and front 3 pick themselves - finding the right balance in the midfield looks to be the biggest challenge. I’d have Torreira, Ceballos and Willock. Feels harsh on Guendouzi but I’m just not sure what his position is...

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Looking back on the game, I thought we did surprisingly well. We had the better chances in the first half, could've been 2-0 in 30mins. In that regard, Emery got his tactics spot on. The only clear chance I remember Liverpool having was Mane after the Ceballos's mistake.

However we know our CBs aren't good enough and it showed.

-Sokratis was more interested in VVD shirt then to attack the ball.

- The Pen was an Eboue level of Stupidity from Luiz

- Luiz having a Mustafi.

Admittedly Emery could've been more positive, however had those chances gone in, it would've been hailed as a tactical masterclass.

I've just come off my first ban after being on this forum for over 10 years. No warning, straight red. Some real trigger happy Mike Dean/ Michael Oliver level of moderation. I've seen others consistantly over the years get away with a lot worse, particlarly player abuse. Oh well, mini rant over.

Really excited about our signings! We look sure on for top 4, as long as we don't shoot ourselves in the foot like against liverpool (just to clarify to certain mods, I'm not in anyway suggesting players shoot themselves with a weapon).

say yes

forum master baiter
Question for those who think we should have gone toe-to-toe with Liverpool - how many of our starting XI at Anfield would have got into their starting XI?

Leno definitely would (if only because Allison is injured). Other than that?

They’ve got the best CB and best pair of FBs in world football. You could make an argument for Luiz over Matip but that’s about it defensively.

Not sure any of our midfielders would make it. Fabinho ****s all over Xhaka in DM. Ceballos maybe in six months once he’s adjusted to the prem but he actually looked dizzy out there. Willock/Douzi are talents but no chance you take them over the CL winning combo of Henderson/Wijnaldum.

Our attack is great but Liverpool have the best front 3 in world football. So not getting a sniff collectively or individually there.

Not knocking our team. I think it’s the best XI we’ve had in years and I can see us finishing 3rd this season. But I think some people have really slept on how good City/Liverpool have become over the past few seasons. There’s a chasm between us.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Question for those who think we should have gone toe-to-toe with Liverpool - how many of our starting XI at Anfield would have got into their starting XI?

They’ve got the best CB and best pair of FBs in world football. You could make an argument for Luiz over Matip but that’s about it defensively.

Not sure any of our midfielders would make it. Fabinho ****s all over Xhaka in DM. Ceballos maybe in six months once he’s adjusted to the prem but he actually looked dizzy out there. Willock/Douzi are talents but no chance you take them over the CL winning combo of Henderson/Wijnaldum.

Our attack is great but Liverpool have the best front 3 in world football. So not getting a sniff collectively or individually there.

Not knocking our team. I think it’s the best XI we’ve had in years and I can see us finishing 3rd this season. But I think some people have really slept on how good City/Liverpool have become over the past few seasons. There’s a chasm between us.

Some Arsenal fans are just in denial really, it hurts to say but there is no shame in admitting they are a very good, balanced and cohesive team that have been playing in the same system with pretty much the same players for a few years now.

I'd be embarrassed if we set up like that come the home game when/if we have a fully fit defence and our attack and midfield have gelled.

I want to see us take it to them when they come to the Emirates.

But as @Trilly mentioned it was **** with a patched defence and a new midfield/attack that haven't fully got going yet. It was same again for Liverpool bar Allison.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
EC0AfYuXoAErzJc

Shows what the game plan was. We were solid defensively(obvious personal mistakes aside), showed some good press resistance in the middle of the park, and most importantly, a promising counter attacking threat with Auba and Pepe.

Has me intrigued for upcoming away matches if we uphold similar tactics. Continuity is key.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

One of my saddest memories as an Arsenal supporter is the 5-1 hammering in 2014 or sometime when we went in (and played) as probable champions and got thrashed.

We are doing it in Emery's time with ultra defensive tactics and we still got beat. The difference is that we now (have been led to) accept that we are a top-6 team at best.

I accept that we would not win against teams like Barcelona/Madrid/Bayern/$ity/Liverpool, but it would please me if we tried to have a go at it.

tldr: I prefer to play positive football and lose, but I do appreciate Emery's plan.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
One of my saddest memories as an Arsenal supporter is the 5-1 hammering in 2014 or sometime when we went in (and played) as probable champions and got thrashed.

We are doing it in Emery's time with ultra defensive tactics and we still got beat. The difference is that we now (have been led to) accept that we are a top-6 team at best.

I accept that we would not win against teams like Barcelona/Madrid/Bayern/$ity/Liverpool, but it would please me if we tried to have a go at it.

tldr: I prefer to play positive football and lose, but I do appreciate Emery's plan.

Liverpool away is the only time Ive seen Pep be pragmatic with Man City. Even the best footballing teams in the world can't get past their press. Look at Barca last year and Man City the season before in the CL.

Emery did it right. Induvidual mistakes cost us the game. I do believe however Emery should've brought Laca on earlier. One thing about liverpool is that they will always drop off in the final 30mins of the game when they've pressed so hard. Emery didn't do enough to exploit that.

I think Emery really struggles with in game tactical changes. He doesn't seem to have that instinct to sense the crucial moments in the game.

Last edited:

say yes

forum master baiter

Yep that game was horrible. Was travelling when it happened and so got all the match notifications when I landed. Honestly thought my phone was broken.

We also lost 6-3 to City and 6-0 to Chelsea that season. Horrific stuff.

Chaoz_Enigma

I thought playing compact 4-4-2 to stifle and tire out Liverpool is a good plan(as they usually do not press much at the end of first half and mid of second half) before countering them as shown we did have a few chances from Aubameyang and Pepe. It just became undone due to matip's goal.

I think Emery's decision got some decisions with good logic behind it. Lacazette is just back from injury, torreira is lacking in fitness. He have to start pepe as he would not want to cut down more of his attacking sharpness. Ceballos was on the back of a good game he have to start. Willock has been showing some good perofrmances too. In the end the most logical way is to give a compact low block as opposed to high press block which cut us apart early in the last few games with Liverpool. Our game plan hinges upon risky long passes from guendouzi and xhaka and to a certain extent luiz and hope auba and pepe manage to score which they came close. Of course individually we are just not there yet therefore the individual mistakes happened.

The gameplan imo is logical and not a bad one either. But we have to accept we are just not that good and gelled yet in terms of transition to attack. But we do see some progress as opposed to coming to Anfield with gung ho approach to match them. The full backs for most of the match they did well in the beginning by staying back and defend in low block as opposed to flying down the wings to open them. I think we should just see how we do against tottenham first before judging much about Emery. And we have to accept this is currently our level and not let our ego and emotions blind ourselves.

As I posted on the Emery Thread. I though we did well defensively. Yes they do cross alot but it leads to nothing up till that Matip's goal and individual brilliance by Salah. We have to let the team gel first and not let our ego blind ourselves. We are never going to match liverpool with awesome counterpress, we can only match them with low block and good counter attack its just that we are not yet used to make great counter attacks like our invincible era yet. Once our transition is better we are going to be much better.

I know by the end of the season we will see much more progress than last season and let's face the truth, this season is not our season. We need at least these 2 seasons after wenger, to fully operate under new model and to be competitive again.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Not sure how anybody can see it differently. The gap in quality is huge.

Emery is trying to devise a game plan building from the back. Pundits going on about no shame in hoofing it up front to relieve pressure have no idea. The only way you get good at something is to practise and practise more.

This team is developing well. We won’t get into our stride though until Tierney and Bellerin are in and firing.

And we won’t be a title challenging side until we get two decent CBs, a proper DM to replace Xhaka and some of the youngsters like Douzi and Willock get some more experience.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Yep that game was horrible. Was travelling when it happened and so got all the match notifications when I landed. Honestly thought my phone was broken.

We also lost 6-3 to City and 6-0 to Chelsea that season. Horrific stuff.
God that still hurts:(

Borussin

AM's Resident Dortmund Fan
It's absurd. Think we looked fairly solid in the first half, Liverpool had their moments but ours were the more threatening, if Auba and Pepe had been more clinical we would of went in at half time in front. A lapse in concentration from a corner was what it took for Pool to break us down, before that all they were doing was TAA and Robertson bombing down the wings, pinging crosses in and hoping for the best, and until the 40th min we were dealing with that threat.

It's not absurd really though is it, it's a Liverpool forum. I'm sure if their fans came in here and read comments on this thread they'd find it equally absured that some thought you where the better team, or at least matched them first half.

But it's what fans do - they see the positives in their own team first and foremost.

At the end of the day, Arsenal had a decent first half, but so did Liverpool, that chance that Firmino was inches away from in the first few mins goes in, then you are on the back foot from the get-go. Oh and by the way I do agree with them that Van Dijk got the mesasure of Pepe by the 2nd half, he wasn't anywhere near as prominent - it's what exeptional players like Van Dijk do - they adapt, quickly.

But Liverpool are just a better team, who are exeptionally coached and are well drilled and a super confident squad of players. Going toe to toe with them at Anfield would have been foolish in the extreme that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom