• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
That's what big players are there to do and why they cost the money they do. Pepe has also been important with a few assists for auba goals.

Kudos to Pepe for the assists but he's still a raw player who's very inconsistent. He's not close to Auba's level of importance to this team, regardless of price tag.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This is the kind of attitude that gets us no where. He's doing the one thing he can do well. Play the ball to the left hand side and switch the play occasionally.

What people ignore is the diving in , the inability to recover, the passes that go astray and encourage the opposition the lack of inclusiveness in his passing.

We need a clear upgrade. Our options our so poor, he is just simply the best of them. Even Ceballos appears more technical than he actually is because nobody else in our midfield can turn or change direction.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
Kudos to Pepe for the assists but he's still a raw player who's very inconsistent. He's not close to Auba's level of importance to this team, regardless of price tag.

That will come in time but last two games he's been instrumental in breaking the deadlock setting up auba twice

Manberg

Predator
This is the kind of attitude that gets us no where. He's doing the one thing he can do well. Play the ball to the left hand side and switch the play occasionally.

What people ignore is the diving in , the inability to recover, the passes that go astray and encourage the opposition the lack of inclusiveness in his passing.

We need a clear upgrade. Our options our so poor, he is just simply the best of them. Even Ceballos appears more technical than he actually is because nobody else in our midfield can turn or change direction.

You’re massively understating his contribution. He is the link between the defence and the midfield, he dictates tempo and sets the rhythm for our passing while Ceballos and Özil stay close to him to open up passing lanes and opportunities. He’s also been pivotal in limiting counter attacking opportunities for the opposing team, as evidenced by the tactical fouling and what not (yesterday he even got in Pickford’s face to do this). Xhaka is an intelligent player doing exactly what the manager asks of him, to near perfection.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You’re massively understating his contribution. He is the link between the defence and the midfield, he dictates tempo and sets the rhythm for our passing while Ceballos and Özil stay close to him to open up passing lanes and opportunities. He’s also been pivotal in limiting counter attacking opportunities for the opposing team, as evidenced by the tactical fouling and what not (yesterday he even got in Pickford’s face to do this). Xhaka is an intelligent player doing exactly what the manager asks of him, to near perfection.

My point is that regardless of what his contribution is, it isn't enough and people are forgetting that he can give a goal away at any moment.

Manberg

Predator
My point is that regardless of what his contribution is, it isn't enough and people are forgetting that he can give a goal away at any moment.

My point is, it’s more than enough and he’s a crucial asset to the team. When was the last time he “gave a goal away”?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
My point is, it’s more than enough and he’s a crucial asset to the team. When was the last time he “gave a goal away”?

He hasn't for a while, but he has played passes that literally could have given goals away. That isn't normal.

Xhaka isn't doing more than enough. He has serious limitations that need to be masked by the set up of the team.

He cannot receive the ball under pressure.
He cannot turn in possession.
He cannot dribble.
He cannot drive forward.
He can't tackle.
He isn't as ambitious as he should be with his passing.
He loses the ball through his main asset more than people are prepared to acknowledge.
He can dive in at any moment and if he isn't diving in he is either hauling people down or backing off.
He also cannot run. Forwards or backwards. Opposition players run past him and he runs in sand.

What he can do is spin balls out into the left channel, tactically foul, stay in his position, rack up passing stats, sort of win headers, get in the way of the opposition, switch the play. That does not constitute more than enough, that is the bare minimum based on his ability and he can't exceed that.

Manberg

Predator
He hasn't for a while, but he has played passes that literally could have given goals away. That isn't normal.

You just said he gives away goals at any moment. He's hardly giving away goals at any moment if you can't even remember the last time he gave a goal away.

Xhaka isn't doing more than enough. He has serious limitations that need to be masked by the set up of the team.

He cannot receive the ball under pressure.
Doesn't seem that way to me. I see him receive the ball under pressure very often. Opposition have even tried to target the link between him and the defence and he's played around it brilliantly.

He cannot turn in possession.
He's a cool head and will look to slow the tempo down when need to. He will switch the play when he needs to.

He cannot dribble.
:lol:

He cannot drive forward.
He's the furthest back of three midfielders, he has to stay in position.

He can't tackle.

Tackle success rate of 66%

He isn't as ambitious as he should be with his passing.

See video above for ambitious passing evidence, and that's not even including the recent few games such as the pre-assist yesterday.

He loses the ball through his main asset more than people are prepared to acknowledge.

Does he? I think his passing stats are amongst the highest in the team.

He can dive in at any moment and if he isn't diving in he is either hauling people down or backing off.

He's tenacious and that's a good thing.

He also cannot run. Forwards or backwards. Opposition players run past him and he runs in sand.
Again, he's not asked to drive forwards. He sits deep and dictates tempo. He runs when he needs to.

What he can do is spin balls out into the left channel, tactically foul, stay in his position, rack up passing stats, sort of win headers, get in the way of the opposition, switch the play. That does not constitute more than enough, that is the bare minimum based on his ability and he can't exceed that.

Not many players can do it as good as him.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
You just said he gives away goals at any moment. He's hardly giving away goals at any moment if you can't even remember the last time he gave a goal away.

Doesn't seem that way to me. I see him receive the ball under pressure very often. Opposition have even tried to target the link between him and the defence and he's played around it brilliantly.

He's a cool head and will look to slow the tempo down when need to. He will switch the play when he needs to.

See video above for ambitious passing evidence, and that's not even including the recent few games such as the pre-assist yesterday.

Again, he's not asked to drive forwards. He sits deep and dictates tempo. He runs when he needs to.

You're Erlis aren't you?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I appreciate the time you have taken to breakdown my post, but literally nothing you have said has swayed my opinion or challenged it to be honest and I'd argue that you are failing to even highlight his obvious limitations and instead using to statistics to suit your agenda.

I said he could give a goal away at any moment just like Mustafi can do a Mustafi at any moment. Under Arteta Xhaka has played multiple cross field passes that have gone to the opposition. It just happens to be that they havent to led to goals, but he is failing to make passes when he should. Especially when you consider passing to be his best attribute. Don't use statistics for this. Use your eyes.

Xhaka cannot beat a press because he has the turning circle of a ship, is one footed and has next to no agility. If the ball is played to him under any sort of pressure it either goes back where it came from or it is a first time pass to the full back. Or he takes a touch,plays it back to the centre back and closes the space down forcing them to go long.

He can't dribble. He averages less than a dribble per game, when he has the opportunity to run into space he sticks his arse out and buys a foul. He can't tackle either. I literally watch players dribble past him and him hauling them down to the ground. He does that because he doesn't have the pace to keep up with them and the agility to move into the position to tackle. He doesnt even have the technique to do so. If he isn't hanging a leg out and poking the ball away he is fouling.

He is nowhere near as ambitious as he should be for his passing. Pre assist? Our centre back is providing assists ffs.

Manberg

Predator
I appreciate the time you have taken to breakdown my post, but literally nothing you have said has swayed my opinion or challenged it to be honest and I'd argue that you are failing to even highlight his obvious limitations and instead using to statistics to suit your agenda.

I said he could give a goal away at any moment just like Mustafi can do a Mustafi at any moment. Under Arteta Xhaka has played multiple cross field passes that have gone to the opposition. It just happens to be that they havent to led to goals, but he is failing to make passes when he should. Especially when you consider passing to be his best attribute. Don't use statistics for this. Use your eyes.

Xhaka cannot beat a press because he has the turning circle of a ship, is one footed and has next to no agility. If the ball is played to him under any sort of pressure it either goes back where it came from or it is a first time pass to the full back. Or he takes a touch,plays it back to the centre back and closes the space down forcing them to go long.

He can't dribble. He averages less than a dribble per game, when he has the opportunity to run into space he sticks his arse out and buys a foul. He can't tackle either. I literally watch players dribble past him and him hauling them down to the ground. He does that because he doesn't have the pace to keep up with them and the agility to move into the position to tackle. He doesnt even have the technique to do so. If he isn't hanging a leg out and poking the ball away he is fouling.

He is nowhere near as ambitious as he should be for his passing. Pre assist? Our centre back is providing assists ffs.

You must be watching someone else. The Xhaka I see every week is doing a great job in passing, tackling, and his huge contribution to the team in general. I think the ideal comparison for Xhaka when considering the style and role of play, is Paul Scholes, and Xhaka comes up pretty well.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You must be watching someone else. The Xhaka I see every week is doing a great job in passing, tackling, and his huge contribution to the team in general. I think the ideal comparison for Xhaka when considering the style and role of play to, is Paul Scholes, and Xhaka comes up pretty well.

You must be comparing Paul Scholes playing in testimonials at the age of 40 because you definitely don't know the player you are talking about. Scholes is head and shoulders above Xhaka. In fact if you had a peak Paul Scholes available in the transfer window today he would cost an absolute fortune. I don't really have anything else to say.

Manberg

Predator
You must be comparing Paul Scholes playing in testimonials at the age of 40 because you definitely don't know the player you are talking about. Scholes is head and shoulders above Xhaka. In fact if you had a peak Paul Scholes available in the transfer window today he would cost an absolute fortune. I don't really have anything else to say.

Scholes was tenacious in the tackle, broke up counter attacks and had an eye for a pass (espescially long passes). All qualities I see in Xhaka; hence the reason for me comparing them. For most of his career, Scholes was also heavily underappreciated, just like Xhaka now.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Scholes was tenacious in the tackle, broke up counter attacks and had an eye for a pass (espescially long passes). All qualities I see in Xhaka. Hence the reason for me comparing them. For most of his career, Scholes was also heavily underappreciated, just like Xhaka now.

Nope. That's not Paul Scholes.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He is a good player and he has been playing well since Mikel took over, but the main issue our midfield has had for a while now is a centre mid to really take the team forward, we could really use someone who is comfortable driving forwards with the ball from deep...

...look how effortlessly he can turn defence into attack, the best of the Premiership era at doing it imo...this is what we lack, especially his physical abilities, our midfield is worryingly slow (think it's the main reason teams always seem to start better than us)

Obviously don't expect someone of the level of Paddy, whom I believe is our best overall player of all time, but someone in that mould...maybe even give Willock or Niles a shot deeper in midfield and see how they do.

Manberg

Predator
Nope. That's not Paul Scholes.

It was. 5:47 in that video you posted, Gary Neville says Scholes controlled the tempo for the whole team and he was the glue that glued it all together. Precisely what I've been saying about Xhaka. I think Scholes is the perfect comparsion. I didn't say Xhaka's as good as Scholes because he hasn't achieved anywhere close to that, just saying that's the mold of midfielder Xhaka is and he's been brilliant.
Look, if you don't believe me, Arteta's praised Xhaka multiple times already. So believe Arteta.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It was. 5:47 in that video you posted, Gary Neville says Scholes controlled the tempo for the whole team and he was the glue that glued it all together. Precisely what I've been saying about Xhaka. I think Scholes is the perfect comparsion. I didn't say Xhaka's as good as Scholes because he hasn't achieved anywhere close to that, just saying that's the mold of midfielder Xhaka is and he's been brilliant.
Look, if you don't believe me, Arteta's praised Xhaka multiple times already. So believe Arteta.

Like I said. You just select parts to suit your agenda. You have compared Scholes to Xhaka, when Xhaka literally has only two aspects of Scholes game. The ability to play a long pass and the inability to tackle.

Everything else, you have chosen to ignore. The fact that Scholes was a box to box midfielder until he lost his legs, to when he then started playing deeper. He scored goals on a regular basis, arriving late, shooting from the edge of the area, and headers.

He actually had ability on the ball. Scholes could turn, dribble and pretty much do everything. He ran the show. Xhaka controls the game when we are on top. As soon as we are under pressure he contributes to our downfall.

It's like comparing Vardy to Thierry Henry. They have the ability to score goals and excellent movement with pace, but that's basically it. When it comes down to it, Henry is in another planet. I am afraid it is the same with Scholes and Xhaka.

Manberg

Predator
Like I said. You just select parts to suit your agenda. You have compared Scholes to Xhaka, when Xhaka literally has only two aspects of Scholes game. The ability to play a long pass and the inability to tackle.

Everything else, you have chosen to ignore. The fact that Scholes was a box to box midfielder until he lost his legs, to when he then started playing deeper. He scored goals on a regular basis, arriving late, shooting from the edge of the area, and headers.

He actually had ability on the ball. Scholes could turn, dribble and pretty much do everything. He ran the show. Xhaka controls the game when we are on top. As soon as we are under pressure he contributes to our downfall.

It's like comparing Vardy to Thierry Henry. They have the ability to score goals and excellent movement with pace, but that's basically it. When it comes down to it, Henry is in another planet. I am afraid it is the same with Scholes and Xhaka.

You're right in that Xhaka's not playing as a box to box midfielder. If he was he'd be scoring more goals too. It comes down to very different tactics. But I disagree on your point about dribbling, because that is something Xhaka has shown he is capable of and he often does it well. Xhaka can play in tight areas and around the press (and by the way, Xhaka gets pressed a heck of a lot more than Scholes used to, due to football changes).

I think you see in Xhaka what you want to see in him, because you have your mind made up about him and are reluctant to change. I would suggest that you re-watch Xhaka's performances closely (or even youtube video highlights) and you might realise he's actually very good.

Honestly, I think Xhaka has been the best and most consistent performer in the team since Arteta arrived at the helm. One of the first players on the team sheet.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Honestly, I think Xhaka has been the best and most consistent performer in the team since Arteta arrived at the helm. One of the first players on the team sheet.
While I agree that he is one of the better performing players under Arteta, I would still have to side with @The_Playmaker's description of Xhaka more than yours.

Xhaka's performances over the years have traumatized me, but I'm very happy with his recent turn around and I hope he can keep it up. He definitely dictates tempo for us and is showing tenacity with improved tackling (still the odd 5th minute yellow or unnecessary halfway line foul). What he doesn't do and has never done, however, is beat a press or show any sort of agility (either on the ball or in defending). If there is no space to blast past him, he can defend well, but if there's any available space he'll often resort to a foul, because his feet are too slow. Ultimately, I think he is too one dimensional to remain a mainstay in our midfield. But we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom