• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey

Do you think Partey will sign for Arsenal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
What about Giroud? He was just a big lump despite playing for Arsenal and France, it was the black players around him at French level who were lauded as the great footballers.

Robertson at Liverpool is mainly praised for getting up and down despite him offering more. TAA gets his fair dues for attacking contributions. What about Mane? Rarely you see him described as a “pacy winger” or something, he’s considered an all round fabulous footballer.

What about say Brazilian footballers? Most are generally rated as great pure footballers. I have never seen guys like Silva, Marcelo, Alves, Neymar, Fernandinho, Fabinho, Marquinhos, all black or mixed, being praised for anything other than their football skills and reading of the game.

Issues exist, not as deep rooted as some of you make out though.

You're confusing the role these players are playing for their team with racial stereotypes. TAA and Robertson are tasked in their system for getting up and down the pitch as would be Tierney and Bellerin for us (to a lower standard) - their physical contribution is an obvious reference point.

Giroud was a target man for Arsenal, so his aerial ability and strength again are obvious attributes to reference. I never felt as though Giroud wasn't respected technically by non-gooners. I don't feel like there are stereotypes to being a white striker or full back, but black-African midfield and straight away you're thinking power house or DM. It's typecasting.

In football terms, Brazilian players are treated as a different breed and they carry their own stereotypes. Can you not remember Gilberto being rendered to 'as not being very Brazilian?' Also when arguably the greatest footballer of time is a dark-skinned, black Brazilian it isn't that shocking that black and Brazilian is held to a slightly different standard.

Mbappe's first attribute mentioned is nearly always pace, yet he's closer to the technical excellence of a Suarez or R9 than a Walcott or Agbonlahor.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I don't really wish to derail this conversation tio much further though. Would love Partey here.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Genuinely think we have a policy where we spend no more than 35 million on defenders and midfielders but spend over 50 million on attackers.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Partey makes too much sense in a tactical set up for Arteta. He can basically do what Xhaka does for us but on the right, an auxiliary right back which can push up Bellerin/AMN up the pitch and allow Pepe to come more infield. He has the passing range, mobility and height to pull it off and he has played a significant number of games at right back anyways for Athletico. I would sell Torreria immediately for this to happen.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Just like auba and pepe? If you have money and get him better wages he'll join you.
Auba joined because of Wenger and money. Pepe isn't even a household name.
Partey would come from a team that's in the CL and miles better than Arsenal, so we'd have to offer big wages for him to make a downgrade.
I just don't see why he'd pick us when there are better teams out there. It doesn't make sense.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
You guys don't actually believe Partey will join the dumpster fire that is this club right now, do you?
But it doesn't become a dumpster fire because we went out of the EL last night. Unless you thought it was dumpster fire before that? We're in the very early stages of Arteta's managerial career at Arsenal. Any potential signing wont look at last night and pass up the chance to join us because of that. It was a very small bump in a very long road.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
But it doesn't become a dumpster fire because we went out of the EL last night. Unless you thought it was dumpster fire before that? We're in the very early stages of Arteta's managerial career at Arsenal. Any potential signing wont look at last night and pass up the chance to join us because of that. It was a very small bump in a very long road.
Of course I thought it was a dumpster fire before last night and you'd be kidding yourself if you think it's going to get better from now on.

Wenger could lure players here because he had a way of coaching that appealed to them. Nobody knows Arteta, so aside from money and living in London, I don't see why anyone good would join us in the coming years.
And it's not like we can offer crazy money like City or PSG, because we have a stingy owner, so there's that as well.

You guys need to understand that we're becoming midtable fodder and it's going to take some years until we find the right people to lead the club in the top 4.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Of course I thought it was a dumpster fire before last night and you'd be kidding yourself if you think it's going to get better from now on.

Wenger could lure players here because he had a way of coaching that appealed to them. Nobody knows Arteta, so aside from money and living in London, I don't see why anyone good would join us in the coming years.
And it's not like we can offer crazy money like City or PSG, because we have a stingy owner, so there's that as well.

You guys need to understand that we're becoming midtable fodder and it's going to take some years until we find the right people to lead the club in the top 4.
Do you know we are 6th or 7th richest club in football with big wage bill? Plus being in London it's massively help if we want super stars we can get them but at the moment that not important the important we be smart in market

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II

You're kidding yourself if you think any player in the last ten years has joined us because of Wenger and not for money. Money and location come WAY before who's managing the club, unless you know they hate you, in which case you wouldn't be a target anyway. What else were players supposed to say when they're asked why they joined Arsenal? Must have been awkward for Pepe... :lol:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You're kidding yourself if you think any player in the last ten years has joined us because of Wenger and not for money. Money and location come WAY before who's managing the club, unless you know they hate you, in which case you wouldn't be a target anyway. What else were players supposed to say when they're asked why they joined Arsenal? Must have been awkward for Pepe... :lol:

He clearly had a ridiculously high standing in modern football amongst professionals though. According to Özil signing for Arsenal was down to him ahead of PSG and the then Champions Man Utd.

Same with MBappe as well, despite us being at our low point we were serious contenders down solely to him until PSG blew all competition out of the water financially.

If it was just money and location we’d lag behind Sp**s and Chelsea badly in the last decade but it’s hard to ignore what a pull he was.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
You're kidding yourself if you think any player in the last ten years has joined us because of Wenger and not for money.
You're selling the old fox short, imo because we could never compete with Chelski and Manure in terms of wages.
The players came because they knew Wenger would give them a fair shake and they would have his full trust along with an attractive football style.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Özil possibly did, because he knew he'd get an easy ride from him. None of the others though. Wenger doesn't pay their bills. As long as they were told they were playing and getting paid more than their last job, what else truly matters? Come on lads, don't suck that crap. It's no slur on Wenger or the players to acknowledge that all people give a **** about these days is their pocket. I'm sure they all liked him, but he wasn't a huge factor.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Özil possibly did, because he knew he'd get an easy ride from him. None of the others though. Wenger doesn't pay their bills. As long as they were told they were playing and getting paid more than their last job, what else truly matters? Come on lads, don't suck that crap. It's no slur on Wenger or the players to acknowledge that all people give a **** about these days is their pocket. I'm sure they all liked him, but he wasn't a huge factor.
Sanchez said Wenger was the main pull. So did Auba. Just accept their words and move on mate.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Sanchez said Wenger was the main pull. So did Auba. Just accept their words and move on mate.
Sanchez? lol I#d like to believe he was as wholesome as that because as you know I wa a massive fan, but nah... Come on. He didn't stay for Wenger, did he? When a man leaves you to play for Mourinho, you can't have meant that much. Started and ended with money.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
I couldnt even care what they thought of him. Im happy they held him in high regard, as Im sure they did. Why wouldnt they? All Im saying is you must be wet behind the ears if think he was the main reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom