• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Yes that`s true. The point though is that he often finds himself in situations where he gets the ball very deep(because the other midfielders are deep) and has no movement in front of him centrally. So he passes to wide areas where we have players in space and then moves towards the player to provide him a passing option. When he is in the midfield, there is nobody playing close to Özil. Its not really an excuse for some of his poor performances but our setup does make it difficult for him to get assists/goals.
Sorry, but have to disagree. If he is the central offensive midfielder of a given formation then he should be a main central attacking threat. If he drifts deep or to the side it will leave the middle empty as we are playing two holding / deep midfielders. What ends up happening is that Laca then drops deeper and he then plays where Özil should have been.

Anyhow, I agree that we need to upgrade our midfield, but when we do it should include upgrading on Özil.

Last edited:

Bloodbather

Established Member

We would be stupid not to get him a a cut price especially with our limited funds. Upgrade on Torreira in my opinion and gives is a massive physical boost in the centre of the pitch. I'd get him and Gueye and use them as a double pivot then buy a modern day 10.

Agreed 100%.

I'd be very disappointed if we don't make a move for Sangaré in the summer. If we do and he signs elsewhere, that's still disappointing, but if we overlook him entirely, that's just another level of disappointment in my book.

Sangaré/Gueye/Benrahma could be an excellent, affordable haul to re-invent our midfield.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Isn’t much of our problems that we play a totally ineffective player centrally in our attack? Özil doesn’t score or assist and he sits in the 10 position.

It doesn’t help that Laca has gone stone cold and cannot score to save his life, but many of our attacking midfield problems centrally originate with Özil. He tends to drift out wide leaving us with nothing in the middle of the pitch when we play the 4231 formation. Or am I missing something?

Özil is not doing much because he is under instructions from Arteta not to do much...... he is expected to do donkey work and link our attack and defense. You can say we need an upgrade from him but expect whoever we get as a replacement to play the exact same role, rather than to score or assist.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Özil is not doing much because he is under instructions from Arteta not to do much...... he is expected to do donkey work and link our attack and defense. You can say we need an upgrade from him but expect whoever we get as a replacement to play the exact same role, rather than to score or assist.
:lol: Who told him to do **** all last season and the season before that then? I'm sorry, but this more creative rubbish. If Özil was as creative with the football, we wouldn't have a problem.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I reckon Arteta has also told Lacazette to not concentrate as much on scoring goals. Yeah, that's what happened.

Why did you think Arteta would rather play Martinelli out of position than to play Auba in the middle? Because he doesn't want a number 9 to score goals, he wants his wingers to do that.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I'm sorry, but this is bullshit.

So, Emery told him sh!t himself, right?

Wenger(During his later years) also told Özil not to assist or score right?

:lol:

Some time ago, a poster said Özil's job is to act as a facilitator for Saka :lol:

Edit: Just confirmed you're the one @scytheavatar who made the post

I gotta hand it to you, your excuses are quite creative

Everyday, a new role is invented for Özil to explain why he isn't performing.

Last edited:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I have to be frank here. What you write there really doesn’t make much sense. So you are saying Arteta is putting Özil in a role where he isn’t supposed to score or assist. He plays the central attaching midfield position for crying out loud! Think the reason for Özil not getting goals is that he cannot shot to save his life and is a lousy finisher. He is also not getting assists because he prefers to play the safe, high percentage pass most of the time. Instead others have to pick up the load.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I have to be frank here. What you write there really doesn’t make much sense. So you are saying Arteta is putting Özil in a role where he isn’t supposed to score or assist. He plays the central attaching midfield position for crying out loud! Think the reason for Özil not getting goals is that he cannot shot to save his life and is a lousy finisher. He is also not getting assists because he prefers to play the safe, high percentage pass most of the time. Instead others have to pick up the load.
I've seen him take some nice shots - he just doesn't shoot with much conviction because it's not his game.

That said, Özil's end product has seriously fallen off a cliff and that's the biggest problem he has in the team. I think it might pick up if he didn't have Lacazette in front of him (his end product has suffered greatly aswell). I think Özil is probably working the hardest he's worked in an Arsenal shirt for a while now though. In theory, his vital numbers should be better than what they are.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom