• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Reading Chelsea are interested in Icardi.

I think it's either the dream of Madrid or a free transfer. We need to really up our offer and do another Özil if we want him to stay. If he extends here I think it's to end his career here and move to a lesser league to cash in.

As a fan I'm willing to bet on him as, in contrast to Özil who's been on the decline for years and very inconsistent, or Alexis who's game was based on mobility and speed, Aubameyang is a natural finisher which is something that doesn't wear off with age. It's mostly about timing and positioning with him. I'm confident that doesn't wear off in the next 3-4 years. However the way Arteta wants him to track back as well is not something that will be beneficial for the longevity of his career.

Gotta wonder though how much the Covid situation will steer his decision towards financial security vs ambition. Staying here definitely means his ambitions come second.

Not entirely, although obviously I get what you mean. Arteta's task is still to take the club back into the CL and win trophies. Being a part of that project is a form of ambition. He's the fastest Arsenal player to 50 goals, becoming the fastest to 100 or 150 is also a form of ambition, as is outscoring other PL strikers.

This isn't Madrid, this is an Arsenal in a bad period of its history, but let's not talk down the club too much. A top player can still choose to play for Arsenal out of ambition, not just money.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Not entirely, although obviously I get what you mean. Arteta's task is still to take the club back into the CL and win trophies. Being a part of that project is a form of ambition. He's the fastest Arsenal player to 50 goals, becoming the fastest to 100 or 150 is also a form of ambition, as is outscoring other PL strikers.

This isn't Madrid, this is an Arsenal in a bad period of its history, but let's not talk down the club too much. A top player can still choose to play for Arsenal out of ambition, not just money.
I hope you are right in that he sees it that way. But if you look at the way this club has been run and the people who own it, it's not looking rosy for a WC striker at the top of his game, nearing the end of his career looking to win titles. In the short time he has left, realistically at Arsenal it's an FA cup or Europa League at a stretch at best.

This all has little to do with the stature of our club (our name is still up there with Europe's Elite) but rather the way we are being run.

I agree the Arteta project is interesting and honorable to be a part of, but he knows ultimately it will be at the sacrifice of his own ambition. Unless it comes with silverware, being part of a rebuild is not something you look back upon with a sense of major achievement years later when you sum up your career. Not like a title does.

I really hope he loves the project and feels the club is moving in the right direction. Him staying would be an indicator for that for me.

Burt Gold

You want us to sell Auba only to replace him with Milik?

Blimey!
Pick two of Eduoard, David, Buendia, Rabiot, Milik, Umtiti and ya Id be open to replacing him, rather than risk losing him for nothing or having him turn into another Özil in a couple years.

Striker is our strongest position and it might make sense to move him to help strengthen the team with players that will actually be relevant when the team develops.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Sell to the highest bidder and use the money to fund a transfer for Gabriel. Replace Auba with a young relatively cheap striker with high potential, Isak or Edouard for example.

Last edited:

nas7232

We will use more than 40mil if without auba we full out of the top 6. Imo we should keep him whilst we rebuild. I doubt the money from a sell will be all used for a new player. Not sure why we recently wasted 72mil on pepe if we are that poor

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
But you're not a stronger team if you don't have a regular goalscorer.

Personally I'd rather keep Auba for 1 more year, 2 if possible BUT we are not in a good position to do that. Nketiah & Martinelli can score, I also think Pepe will be very different next season. Those 3 can replace Aubas goals. If we are conceding less with a better midfield & defence, then we will be a stronger team.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Personally I'd rather keep Auba for 1 more year, 2 if possible BUT we are not in a good position to do that. Nketiah & Martinelli can score, I also think Pepe will be very different next season. Those 3 can replace Aubas goals. If we are conceding less with a better midfield & defence, then we will be a stronger team.

I also think Pepe will be better, and he's already proven that he can score a lot of goals at Lille. Regarding Nketiah & Martinelli, I mean it'd be fantastic if they could be top goalscorers, but it's just such a huge risk to count on them stepping up.

Personally I'd look to invest in one more young striker, but not too expensive. Someone like Jonathan David. That way, whatever happens with Auba and Lacazette, we should be ok.

Burt Gold

I also think Pepe will be better, and he's already proven that he can score a lot of goals at Lille. Regarding Nketiah & Martinelli, I mean it'd be fantastic if they could be top goalscorers, but it's just such a huge risk to count on them stepping up.

Personally I'd look to invest in one more young striker, but not too expensive. Someone like Jonathan David. That way, whatever happens with Auba and Lacazette, we should be ok.
I want David too but it's hard to say he's further along than Martinelli or Nketiah

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

Part of my thinking is that I don't want to lose either Martinelli or Nketiah, I think they both have it in them to be top strikers. Yes its a big risk, that's why I'd rather keep Auba for 1 or 2 more seasons. If we bring in another young striker we risk losing Martinelli or Nketiah. If we rotate them both as our CF, and Pepe bags some goals too, we'll be fine. Laca I'm all for selling, use the money elsewhere.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

But whats the point in signing a young promising player when we already have a lot in our attack i.e. Saka, Eddie, Martinelli, Nelson. If we lost Auba and/or Laca we need a proper striker coming in IMO. They dont have to be old but someone who has already proven he can bag a good amount of goals, Osihmen and Edouard could be good options (they're young but have performed very well in their respective leagues). But fans would have to recognise we will reduce our chance of top4 (on paper).

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
But whats the point in signing a young promising player when we already have a lot in our attack i.e. Saka, Eddie, Martinelli, Nelson. If we lost Auba and/or Laca we need a proper striker coming in IMO. They dont have to be old but someone who has already proven he can bag a good amount of goals, Osihmen and Edouard could be good options (they're young but have performed very well in their respective leagues). But fans would have to recognise we will reduce our chance of top4 (on paper).

Yeah sure, there's a possibility both Auba and Laca could go. But in that case you're looking at a total rebuild, a real youth project. Also in that case what would even be the point in getting Partey? Why bring in a top CM in his prime when the squad is at the beginning of a cycle. Like f*ck it, just go proper youth then.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Sure the club will sign a replacement if off. For all the youngsters talent minimal production in the league.

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
I'm not a big fan of Dembele but I would swap Aubameyang for him. He has potential still very young and will have a way higher resale value

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I'm not a big fan of Dembele but I would swap Aubameyang for him. He has potential still very young and will have a way higher resale value
Why allocate Aubas massive wages to a youngster who can’t stay fit and has attitude problems? I’m a fan but he’s surely going to ask for a massive wage.

oh to be a goon

Assuming we lose Laca, AND make this swap, do we still need a CF?
Our only real CF at the club would then be Nketiah, but with Saka, Martinelli, Pepe, Nelson, Balogun, and now Dembele for the 2 spots wide. Buying a dedicated CF on top of this feels like it will be too crowded, but otherwise we leave ourselves short with this deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom