• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Clown Gooners are turning their noses up at the likes of Coutinho and Lemar. This is the level of footballer that we need because aesthetically we aren't far off a Bournemouth or Palace at the minute.

I'd take a few players like Diop/Dunk/Ake, Dacoure/McGinn/Lundstram to stabilise our core, but we need a marquee signing as well.

I'd love Partey, Koulibaly or Coutinho/Zaha.
Agree with the sentiment, we need some players with high technical ability to improve our style of play (and the aesthetics of our game). Would be great to see players in an Arsenal shirt who are actually able of one touch football or beating a defender.

Disagree with the names mentioned, though. I think Lemar has that ability, but I worry about the mental side of his game. What I want now is technical ability coupled with an absolute disgust of losing. Don't know(/think) he or Coutinho fit that profile. Koulibaly is too old for a smart rebuild and Zaha I think is overrated.

Just saw something about Thiago not renewing his contract at Bayern. We'd be really stupid to not try and get him.
29 already, still probably a €30m+ fee involved. Highly rate him, would be our most technical midfielder by a mile, but doesn't seem like the signing we should make at this stage. By the time we're in somewhat good shape, he's 31 and on big wages.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Assuming we get Partey and Kluivert swap this summer, long term I'd like to see us starting the 2021-2022 season with,

GK - Leno, New

DL - Tierney, New
DC - New, Mari
DC - Saliba, New, Mavro
DR - New, Soares

DM - New, New
MC - Partey, Willock
MC - Saka, ESR

AML - New, Kluivert
SC - New, Martinelli, Nketiah
AMR - Pepe, Nelson

Hopefully players like Azeez, Smith, John-Jules, Balogun will also be ready to be first team squad options.

As far as specific names I will leave that to our scouting team and Edu but I know what profile of player I would like. It's a lot of work but next summer we should get a lot more freedom for squad building once Özil, Mustafi, Luiz and Auba's £750k wages come off the books.

Fullbacks - Another couple of players similar to Tierney, young, high energy, can defend and attack to a decent level.

DC - I really believe in partnerships, analyse what Saliba is good and bad at and find someone who masks any weaknesses in his game. Find a good solid backup to Saliba with similar strengths and weaknesses.

DM - A couple of players in the Fabinho, Rodri mould. Physically imposing but also decent enough footballers. I don't consider Partey a DM, he looks better as a B2B to me.

AML - Someone like Sterling, someone who can provide but also chip in with a fair few goals. I don't see Pepe as ever being a high scoring player so I think we need goals from the other wing.

SC - A good all rounded who can hold the ball up, quick and chip in a decent number of goals. A mixture of Lacazette and Auba would be perfect!

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Too many have issues with signing people in their prime. Aubameyang has been our best player and we signed him at what 29?

Age shouldn't come into it. Thiago and Koulibaly improve us no two ways about it. If Thiago is available for 30m we would be nuts not to ask the question.

Getting Thiago and McGinn into our midfield would be an amazing upgrade on what we have.

Coming around to the idea though that we should be going all in for McGinn. Good technical ability and a huge engine.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Too many have issues with signing people in their prime. Aubameyang has been our best player and we signed him at what 29?

Age shouldn't come into it. Thiago and Koulibaly improve us no two ways about it. If Thiago is available for 30m we would be nuts not to ask the question.

Getting Thiago and McGinn into our midfield would be an amazing upgrade on what we have.

Coming around to the idea though that we should be going all in for McGinn. Good technical ability and a huge engine.
I also quite like McGinn. Wonder what he would cost if Villa goes down.

Would you get the duo instead of Partey? I'd take Laimer as an alternative to Partey (or if Torreira departs).

In general, I don't think we should worry too much about signing players around the age of 28-29, but our current team lacks sellable assets and you can already see that the value of players like Aubameyang and Lacazette is dropping. Financially it's not the smartest move to buy players in this age bracket and we're in a dire state.

I'd rather buy players around the 23-25 range. Players who are slowly entering their prime, consistent enough, young enough to contribute for many years and young enough to sell them for a good fee if necessary.

If we spend on €30m on Thiago that's money we won't see back, which can be fine, but right now we're not in a good state. Great player though. I do doubt he'd be willing to go from Bayern to Arsenal. Liverpool, City, Chelsea, ManU those teams would make a lot more sense if he wants to come to the PL.

Last edited:

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I also quite like McGinn. Wonder what he would cost if Villa goes down.

Would you get the duo instead of Partey? I'd take Laimer as an alternative to Partey (or if Torreira departs).

In general, I don't think we should worry too much about signing players around the age of 28-29, but our current team lacks sellable assets and you can already see that the value of players like Aubameyang and Lacazette is dropping. Financially it's not the smartest move to buy players in this age bracket and we're in a dire state.

I'd rather buy players around the 23-25 range. Players who are slowly entering their prime, consistent enough, young enough to contribute for many years and young enough to sell them for a good fee if necessary.

If we spend on €30m on Thiago that's money we won't see back, which can be fine, but right now we're not in a good state. Great player though. I do doubt he'd be willing to go from Bayern to Arsenal. Liverpool, City, Chelsea, ManU those teams would make a lot more sense if he wants to come to the PL.
If Thiago in midfield gets us back into the CL his fee is covered. And then he plays out the rest of his days here. We shouldn't be looking at all players as being ones that can be sold. Sometimes you just need to say these players can make the difference now and get us to where we want to be.

Weve tons of young players as it stands. Saka, Nelson, Martinelli, Willock, AMN, Tierney, Saliba, Guendouzi all 23 or younger. Weve Bellerin and Torreira who are under 25. Pepe is still young. Holding and Chambers are under 25 (one might just have turned 26).

TornadoTed

Established Member

I like McGinn a lot. Forget Grealish, he's the one to go for from Villa in my opinion.

Wish List
Make Europa League
Re Sign Saka
Re Sign Aubameyang

Signings
Willian - Free
Partey - Swap for Lacazette
Upamecamo
Coutinho - Loan

Out
All of the Crap

First team
Leno
Bellerin Upamecamo Saliba Tierney
Torreira Partey
Pepe Coutinho Willian
Aubameyang

Second team
Martinez
Soares Chambers Mari New LB
Xhaka Guendozi
Martinelli, Willock, Saka
Nketiah

Shalmaneser V

In
D. Upamecano 40M
T. Partey 40M
L. Pellegrini 25M
D. Szoboszlai 20M
A. Hlozek 15M
O. Edouard 30M

Out
Mustafi 10M
Sokratis 4M
Xhaka 25M
Mkhitaryan 10M
AMN 15M
Lacazette 25M
Aubameyang 25M

.......................Leno
Bellerin...Upamecano...Saliba...KT
....Szoboszlai..Partey..Pellegrini
Pepe............Edouard............Saka

Last edited:

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I like McGinn a lot. Forget Grealish, he's the one to go for from Villa in my opinion.
I think McGinn adds the engine to the midfield and Grealish adds that touch of class. Just looking at the Grealish stats on sky sports news.

Most fouled player by a country mile and in the top 5 for chances created. Given he plays for a team fighting relegation that's impressive. One it shows he doesnt hide when fouled and two imagine he was feeding semi decent forwards. It's the kind of stats Hazard had at his peak.

Chay

thiago alcantara would transform our midfield, he can play 6 8 or 10, cannot see it happening though.

Should be looking at:
Max aarons
Buendia
Mcginn
Ake
David brooks
Lewis dunk
Eze
Benrahma
Saint maximan

Unrealistic ones:
Ndidi
Soyuncu
Partey
Thaigo alcantara
Nkunku
Grealish
Neves
Jota
Adama traore

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
GK: Rajkovic from Reims and let him compete with Leno. This kid is good and he is only 23. He won the golden glove at the u20 WC in 2015 and since then he has been flying under the radar but I believe he will quickly become well known if a bigger club picks him up.

CB: Disasi, Fofana or Kabak AND Hummels - You take one out of those 3 young guys and allow them to compete with Saliba to see who partners Hummels for the next few years until Hummels eventually retires and we have a new young CB pairing of Saliba and Disasi, Fofana or Kabak.

CM: This is a position where we must also invest and I would go for Partey and Grealish as mentioned by many - along with this we should DEFINITELY go in for Thiago.

ST: This is a tough choice because I feel Aubameyang needs to be played here but if he doesn't sign an extension then we need to either move Martinelli here OR make a purchase for a player who we know can score 20-30 goals a season. My choices IF I could WISHLIST are: Haaland or Lukaku but to keep it realistic I will say Jovic could be that guy for us.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Thiago would be immense as would be Isco, but both are well above our level. We could probably sell Guendouzi and Mkhi and have the funds.

Agree with the sentiment that there is nothing wrong with signing a player in his prime and Auba was a great example. I'd love a Kouilibaily, Isco, Coutinho, Partey, Grealish etc.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Is there really no hope for the Xhaka/Torreira pivot that we saw a while ago? Maybe i'm deluded but I still don't know why so many have written Torreira off as a DM so soon. Hasn't he just suffered under Emery and then with a bad injury?

I still think there's a good midfield to be had with Torreira and Xhaka playing behind a more technical no. 8, someone like Aouar for example.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Is there really no hope for the Xhaka/Torreira pivot that we saw a while ago? Maybe i'm deluded but I still don't know why so many have written Torreira off as a DM so soon. Hasn't he just suffered under Emery and then with a bad injury?

I still think there's a good midfield to be had with Torreira and Xhaka playing behind a more technical no. 8, someone like Aouar for example.
IMO it's too flat as a pairing. Neither possesses any pure athleticism, and while they're defensively quite solid, they're quite limited in terms of ball progression - Xhaka can pass and even then he kills a few counters with inconsistent execution, and Torreira is surprisingly decent at it but rarely chooses the progressive option so far as an Arsenal player.

Torreira is someone I'd be reluctant to write off but, like Guendouzi, he's someone who I'd let go if the money was right.

Top Bottom