• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

benjamin86

Established Member
He's a dangerous player, but don't feel as though he offers enough to play for a big team.
He's very very good, problem is he's pretty much the only attacking option for Watford with Deulofeu injured so he gets marked out of the game by most teams. Sarr on the left, Aubameyang upfront and Pepe on the right would be electric. (I don't think any Watford players will be easy to sign even if they get relegated as they can all be moved to their sister club Udinese)

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
On reflection I'd honestly focus the summer on three things: clearing deadwood and reducing the wage bill (Özil, Lacazette etc), tying Auba to a new contract, and pushing for a deal for Kai Havertz.

I'm just starting to doubt the efficacy of this supposedly dream summer of Partey and Upamecano (which I'd still be pleased with obviously).

I agree we need a long-term partner for Saliba. But Saliba will be settling in next year with teething issues most likely. It's highly likely that Luiz will be his partner next year. A long-term partner can wait a year imo.

I also agree that Partey would improve our midfield. We'd compete for the ball better and retain the ball better. He has attributes that Torreira doesn't have.

But even if you have Upamecano in defence and Partey in midfield, you still have a HUGE creative deficit in the centre of the pitch in front of the 18 yard box. For the last two years basically all our attacks have gone down the flanks because Özil declined and we don't have a creator through the middle. Our attacking patterns are not good enough for a big club, they are too predictable.

Joe Willock is showing promise but he's not that guy to open up a defence. ESR looks more like that guy but he's not even broken into the first team yet. It's kind of ridiculous to project his development into the future and say he's the solution to the hole left by Özil.

This is the summer to buy Havertz. I know it's unlikely, but stranger things have happened. We've made huge bids before for Mbappe and Lemar. Havertz is more than worthy of going all out for. He's a generational talent. He can do everything, he can pass, create and score. He's the player you build around.

Free up as much funds as possible, try to make a bid that Leverkusen would consider, offer him good terms, sell him Arteta's project, that he'd be at the centre of a PL team fighting to compete and get back to the top.

A midfield of Xhaka and Torreira isn't perfect, nor is a defensive pairing of Saliba and Luiz. But they can be functional and potentially very good in a good system. I'd be happy to have that if it meant we could finally reboot our attack into a genuinely threatening force. Because right now the notion that Arsenal's attack is good is merely a figment of people's memories.

And at the end of the day if you really want a player like Partey or Upamecano, you can find much cheaper versions of them. You can find a player like Ibrahima Diallo for 10m for example. But you can't find a player like Havertz, and this is the only time you're ever in with a shot of getting him. So why not try?

I swear to f*ck if he goes to Chelsea I'll be sick.
On reflection I'd honestly focus the summer on three things: clearing deadwood and reducing the wage bill (Özil, Lacazette etc), tying Auba to a new contract, and pushing for a deal for Kai Havertz.

I'm just starting to doubt the efficacy of this supposedly dream summer of Partey and Upamecano (which I'd still be pleased with obviously).

I agree we need a long-term partner for Saliba. But Saliba will be settling in next year with teething issues most likely. It's highly likely that Luiz will be his partner next year. A long-term partner can wait a year imo.

I also agree that Partey would improve our midfield. We'd compete for the ball better and retain the ball better. He has attributes that Torreira doesn't have.

But even if you have Upamecano in defence and Partey in midfield, you still have a HUGE creative deficit in the centre of the pitch in front of the 18 yard box. For the last two years basically all our attacks have gone down the flanks because Özil declined and we don't have a creator through the middle. Our attacking patterns are not good enough for a big club, they are too predictable.

Joe Willock is showing promise but he's not that guy to open up a defence. ESR looks more like that guy but he's not even broken into the first team yet. It's kind of ridiculous to project his development into the future and say he's the solution to the hole left by Özil.

This is the summer to buy Havertz. I know it's unlikely, but stranger things have happened. We've made huge bids before for Mbappe and Lemar. Havertz is more than worthy of going all out for. He's a generational talent. He can do everything, he can pass, create and score. He's the player you build around.

Free up as much funds as possible, try to make a bid that Leverkusen would consider, offer him good terms, sell him Arteta's project, that he'd be at the centre of a PL team fighting to compete and get back to the top.

A midfield of Xhaka and Torreira isn't perfect, nor is a defensive pairing of Saliba and Luiz. But they can be functional and potentially very good in a good system. I'd be happy to have that if it meant we could finally reboot our attack into a genuinely threatening force. Because right now the notion that Arsenal's attack is good is merely a figment of people's memories.

And at the end of the day if you really want a player like Partey or Upamecano, you can find much cheaper versions of them. You can find a player like Ibrahima Diallo for 10m for example. But you can't find a player like Havertz, and this is the only time you're ever in with a shot of getting him. So why not try?

I swear to f*ck if he goes to Chelsea I'll be sick.

I can't even describe the rarity of a 21 year old coming to the Premiership and instantly producing tangible numbers consistently across the season. There is only one player in the world that would do that and that is Mbappe.

Havertz isn't on that level. He has a lot of developing to do. I would argue that even Werner will see a massive drop off in terms of goal contribution.

The only young player I would break the bank for would be Camavinga. He gives us what we need and his ceiling is unbelievably high when you consider the physical development he will undergo in the next 4 years.

Arteta says he knows what he needs. Primarily he wants to keep Auba and build a team around Saka. To be competitive he needs a CB, dm, cm, and cf as starters. That's a lot of work to do. We can't afford to spend insane money on one player, when you consider we also need a few squad signings.

He needs to discover a bit about his team. Nketiah can be a backup, but can he rely on Bellerin and Holding? Is AMN first choice right back or a cm? How do you know unless you try?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I can't even describe the rarity of a 21 year old coming to the Premiership and instantly producing tangible numbers consistently across the season. There is only one player in the world that would do that and that is Mbappe.

Havertz isn't on that level. He has a lot of developing to do. I would argue that even Werner will see a massive drop off in terms of goal contribution.

The only young player I would break the bank for would be Camavinga. He gives us what we need and his ceiling is unbelievably high when you consider the physical development he will undergo in the next 4 years.

Arteta says he knows what he needs. Primarily he wants to keep Auba and build a team around Saka. To be competitive he needs a CB, dm, cm, and cf as starters. That's a lot of work to do. We can't afford to spend insane money on one player, when you consider we also need a few squad signings.

He needs to discover a bit about his team. Nketiah can be a backup, but can he rely on Bellerin and Holding? Is AMN first choice right back or a cm? How do you know unless you try?

Yeah I totally get that, and I agree there's only one 21 year old in world football who's already a properly good player and that's Mbappe. You're right that Havertz wouldn't come in and perform like De Bruyne straight away.

I'm just saying that I really think the no. 10 position, or creative midfielder position, is by far the most urgent position of need. And Havertz is the best young creative midfielder on the market. So maybe there's an argument that you allocate most of your resources into the position you need most.

Not to say there aren't other young creative midfielders you could buy, there are a few. We just need someone to fill the hole that Özil has left.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Central midfield is our weakest area and it's failed functioning puts more pressure on our defence and limits out attacks productivity.

Partey in on a 5 year deal and Coutinho or Lemar in please (preferably Coutinho).

Lose El Nenny, Guendouzi and Mkhi and the cost will be minimal. Özil gone next summer and our cm option look like this:

Xhaka, Partey, Torreria, Willock, AMN, ESR, Coutinho, Saka, Nelson.

------Partey-----------Torreria/Xhaka--------
-------------------Coutinho-------------------------

Protection and creativity.

In attack, don't actually know what to do. Sign Auba, but not sure on whether to extend Laca. We need a cf who can hold the ball up unless we change style. Reluctantly think I'd sell and turn to counter attack. Auba cf, Pepe right and Saka left. Nelson, Martinelli and Nketiah in reserve.

billyf

Viktor Tsygankov is a player which fits the type of financial philosophy the board are looking for imo, could be a major positive investment.

He's a left footed winger who plays on either wing and has an all round game.

A player such as Tsygankov could be good for Saka to elevate his game.

LW is a major position for Arsenal to improve on along with a central creative player. If Arsenal are trying to build something positive and constructive, then I think the necessary quality additions are needed.

Everton Soares is another option and my preference, but I'd like Arsenal to sign both to show they're serious.

Buying quality players...
Arsenal were a club that was renowned for identifying talent wherever in the world they be, important for the club to carry on that trend imo.

I googled his name and it seems that Napoli are interested in him. At the age of 22 he is already part of a good club and he is looking for a move abroad, he won't be cheap. MIght worth the money, though, his shooting skill is crazy.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yeah I totally get that, and I agree there's only one 21 year old in world football who's already a properly good player and that's Mbappe. You're right that Havertz wouldn't come in and perform like De Bruyne straight away.

I'm just saying that I really think the no. 10 position, or creative midfielder position, is by far the most urgent position of need. And Havertz is the best young creative midfielder on the market. So maybe there's an argument that you allocate most of your resources into the position you need most.

Not to say there aren't other young creative midfielders you could buy, there are a few. We just need someone to fill the hole that Özil has left.

Is he the best young playmaker on the market? Or is he the most publicised, most noticeable and most marketed. I'd say it's very similar to when Draxler first came onto the scene. He is the hyped young player currently. Remember Leon Bailey?

I think we can get a player just as good for a quarter of the price. I genuinely also believe we have a player who is already just as good in Saka.

As a club we either produce generational talents or we scout them and get them for peanuts. I see no need in spending obscene amounts of money on him to fill a hole left by Özil. A hole which is not in existence under Arteta as he doesn't play with a nominal 10 with the entire creative burden on that player. We are more fluid and systemic. Jonathan David makes far more sense. Able to play all across the midfield and front line, with physicality and pace.

Jonathan David will move to Germany and be worth 60 million in one year.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
All you guys still putting Auba as a striker, listen, If he stays, we have to assume that he's a left winger now. There have been plenty of chances to play him as a striker with someone else on the wing but it just doesn't happen. For that reason, we'll need to sign a striker.

Bloodbather

Established Member

All you guys still putting Auba as a striker, listen, If he stays, we have to assume that he's a left winger now. There have been plenty of chances to play him as a striker with someone else on the wing but it just doesn't happen. For that reason, we'll need to sign a striker.

I get what you're saying but playing Auba at CF is the only way Tierney, Saka and Auba can play together at the same time - and you definitely want to make sure that happens.

In either case, though, I don't think we need to sign a striker. Roll with Nketiah and Martinelli - rotate with Auba.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I get what you're saying but playing Auba at CF is the only way Tierney, Saka and Auba can play together at the same time - and you definitely want to make sure that happens.

In either case, though, I don't think we need to sign a striker. Roll with Nketiah and Martinelli - rotate with Auba.

I'm just saying what will happen. Personally, i'd like a left side of Tierney LB, Saka LCM, Martinelli LW, Auba CF but it won't happen.

Auba has played left wing for too long for it to just be a stop gap. Emery liked him there, and Arteta likes him there. Saka will play LCM.

Nketiah for me isn't good enough. I love Martinelli but Arteta clearly doesn't feel he's ready.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Is he the best young playmaker on the market? Or is he the most publicised, most noticeable and most marketed. I'd say it's very similar to when Draxler first came onto the scene. He is the hyped young player currently. Remember Leon Bailey?

I think we can get a player just as good for a quarter of the price. I genuinely also believe we have a player who is already just as good in Saka.

As a club we either produce generational talents or we scout them and get them for peanuts. I see no need in spending obscene amounts of money on him to fill a hole left by Özil. A hole which is not in existence under Arteta as he doesn't play with a nominal 10 with the entire creative burden on that player. We are more fluid and systemic. Jonathan David makes far more sense. Able to play all across the midfield and front line, with physicality and pace.

Jonathan David will move to Germany and be worth 60 million in one year.

I agree i'm sure there are other players like Havertz out there. I'm not a scout, I can only mention the ones I know. But the club has to be looking for that sort of player. Although I think Havertz is showing a bit more than Draxler did at his age.

Saka isn't a playmaker. We're already putting so much on his shoulders, it's absurd to go into a new season expecting him to be our playmaker.

As for the system and Arteta's tactics etc. Firstly I don't like to rely entirely on the system to create chances, personally i'm still of the belief that you need an individual with the ability to make something out of nothing. A good team needs a playmaker. That playmaker doesn't necessarily have to play in the no. 10 position, and that playmaker doesn't have to be an Özil clone. But we simply don't have a playmaker and we need one, it's that simple.

When push comes to shove this team doesn't really need any new defenders or attackers, if you wanted to make the maximum effect with minimum activity you would simply buy two very good midfielders and nothing else.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Bored so just looking at our squad.

Must sell:
Bellerin while he still has value
Sokratis
Mustafi
Özil
Laca
Mkhi
Elneny

Ideally sell:
Kola
Douzi
Xhaka

Maybe:
Torreira
Mavropanos

Don't sign Ceballos.

That's over a third of our team I'd like to see the back of. Not even including the ones out on loan. What a shocker of a squad.

Leaves us with

Leno
Martinez
(If Martinez wants to hang around we are sorted here)

Tierney
Holding
Soares
Chambers
Saliba
Mari
Luiz
(I don't see us signing another CB when we would still have 5 after selling 2. Probably look at signing some young full back talent)

AMN
Willock
Saka
(I don't think there's any chance we sell Xhaka but even with him this is by far the area most in need of some big spending. Partey not enough)

Auba
Pepe
Nelson
Nketiah
Matinelli
ESR
(We can live with this)

We could sell a good 10 players, sign 3 and be in a much better position both in quality and finances. In such a mess.

ArsenalFever

I googled his name and it seems that Napoli are interested in him. At the age of 22 he is already part of a good club and he is looking for a move abroad, he won't be cheap. MIght worth the money, though, his shooting skill is crazy.
I think £25m max, if Napoli get him, maybe we could get Lozano from Napoli.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Think he'll have a great career at Southampton.
more than likely. Just looking at his record 1 in 3 for Burnley in for the golden boot at Southampton which in itself is impressive. A willing worker also.Injuries have held him back. 27 years old about to go into his best years.

Just surprised when we talk about looking within the league his name has never came up. He knows where the net is.

Top Bottom