• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu Transfer Targets: Summer 2020

Which signing would you prioritize of the two?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

APierre

You Wanna Come Out Here?
w0owv19.jpg

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Really disappointed in the lack of links to David Alaba. He is exactly what we want at LCB and is a massive Gooner.

Think with Alaba it's the same as with Neuer and Müller - he wants more cash and guaranteed minutes in his preferred position (CB or CM), and in the end will sign a new contract.

The way he's owned that LCB spot since the restart won't make it easier for Bayern, but I guess if someone has to go, it would rather be Hernandez. But tbh I think no one will leave, their backline is pretty good as it is. Two lefties (Alaba, Hernandez), three righties (Süle, Boateng, Pavard) with the two frenchies being abl to play RB and LB.

Alaba will sign for Bayern, I'm sure.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Especially in Argentina there are tons of promising talents who could be great pickups. Either they develop int great players, or become solid squad players, and they have re-sale value. A lot of boxes ticked for a club in rebuild like Arsenal who should look to get in younger players and making money from sales again. Bit similar to looking at promising players from lower domestic leagues.

I'm definitely not sold on continuing to make 1 or 2 massive signings like Pepe or Partey or looking at opportunistic big names like Willian, Coutinho, David Luiz, Cech, etc. It's always this trying for a quick fix when the squad is structurally off that I don't like.

Accept the rebuild will take some time, find a core, offload as many not belonging to this core, add some solid squad players and great talent. Let that grow organically along the young new manager and slowly start the attack for Top 4.

Would agree with your assesment if it wasn't for the fact we're clearly promoting from within and are banking on our exceptional generation of youth products coming through. We're rebuilding through academy and are looking at the market for one or two additions that will add something righ away. The influence of an established star on young players can't be undervalued as well, in that regard I see the logic in extending Luiz tbh.

I'm usually wary of SA players in general. They have trouble settling in, usually don't know the language and are brought up in totally different footballing culture to that in England. They also usually see teams like Arsenal as a stepping stone to Barca/Real or some other club that is prepared to pay more money.

Toby

I'm usually wary of SA players in general. They have trouble settling in, usually don't know the language and are brought up in totally different footballing culture to that in England. They also usually see teams like Arsenal as a stepping stone to Barca/Real or some other club that is prepared to pay more money.

Would have agreed a while ago but I've had a look at recent transfers from SA to Europe and the larger chunk has settled in and come good after at most a full season.

Would agree with your assesment if it wasn't for the fact we're clearly promoting from within and are banking on our exceptional generation of youth products coming through. We're rebuilding through academy and are looking at the market for one or two additions that will add something righ away. The influence of an established star on young players can't be undervalued as well, in that regard I see the logic in extending Luiz tbh.

I get your point, but a) academy products aren't coming through in every position (e.g. afaik there's no super promising fullbacks or CBs right now), and b) there's decent experience in this squad even with the obvious wish sales included: as you say Luiz, Auba U30, then in the bracket between 25 and 30 there's Leno, Martinez, Mari, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Bellerin, Soares and Pepe.

Another quality addition, especially for the midfield, aged around 25 would be decent, but I'd try to not go all in for that as with Pepe.

ChefMan21

There will be ways to almost exploit this situation.

Insider gossip tells me especially the South American market is heating up and players from there are already being offered around everywhere as a lot of clubs have been hit financially by Corona.

I don't think we will see a lot of top players moving for big money, and neither talents already in European top flight football and noticed on the stage - these are clubs' assets and nobody wants to lose them on potentially smallish fees in relation to a normal market situation.

There will be exceptions due to individual context - e.g. Sané (short contract, recent injury), or maybe Guendouzi (fell out with the coach) - but I guess we could see a lot of movement for midtable and smaller clubs who could use the Corona fallout to raid smaller and especially non-European clubs.

Looking beyond 50m transfers like Partey or swaps with big clubs, there could be a lot of good business for a club like Arsenal.
Bailing on South America to move somewhere less impacted by the virus seems like an entirely reasonable thing to me. The top 3 that immediately come to mind are Gabriel Barbosa (cut-price, but he COULD make it in Europe with the right manager/team), Thiago Almada, and Everton Soares. I think we've shown interest in Almada?

Toby

Bailing on South America to move somewhere less impacted by the virus seems like an entirely reasonable thing to me. The top 3 that immediately come to mind are Gabriel Barbosa (cut-price, but he COULD make it in Europe with the right manager/team), Thiago Almada, and Everton Soares. I think we've shown interest in Almada?

Don't know about concrete interest. But yes, apparently Corona will have a good degree of influence on SA clubs financially and certainly on players' thought re: health and standard of living. Think that might even extend to Central and Northern America.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
If we don't give Arteta a huge transfer kitty to fix this squad whilst FFP restrictions are relaxed its so embarrassing.

Chelsea will fly if they get all their targets, City are City, Liverpool are Liverpool. Wolves will spend, United are on the up and will spend. 5 teams right there who need to be overtaken.

We are currently on par with Leicester. With the signings we'll likely make this summer it just helps us challenge for top 4, obviously its hard to attract players without CL footy but there's top players out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom