• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu Transfer Targets: Summer 2020

Which signing would you prioritize of the two?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I think we will see proper movement when the seasons over and we know if we get into Europe or not.

Europa league is very important this year. 8th place could even clinch it with the inevitable ban coming man cities way.

Get Europa and I think we go for Aouar as well as Partey.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
R9s shooting style, Rashfords running style, Ibrahimovic's strength and hold up play, Benzema's touch and Berbatov's nonchalance. I'm sold.

On a serious note, looks a good fit for a lone striker in England.

Like the profile as well. From just that video he looks to be a very well-rounded striker tailor made for the Prem.

Could be a slight bit faster and he'd probably would've cause more noise around the globe.

Kinda reminds me of Costa, when it comes to his traits, both look good in everything and they know how to use their body to their advantage.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Let's say we don't qualify for Europe and we have a reduced transfer budget, say 20-30m maybe a bit more if we can sell any players for a good price, and we want to buy a CB, CM and a forward, as per Ornstein. How do we do that?

Shelve the Thomas Partey talk for a bit, just imagine that he doesn't exist, cos it's likely that he'd have been an option dependent on our league finish.

Which CB's, CM's and forwards could we buy on a reduced budget who'd be able to improve us? Got to be imaginative, names like Partey, Upamecano and Grealish probably don't take into account the reality of our situation.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Let's say we don't qualify for Europe and we have a reduced transfer budget, say 20-30m maybe a bit more if we can sell any players for a good price, and we want to buy a CB, CM and a forward, as per Ornstein. How do we do that?

Shelve the Thomas Partey talk for a bit, just imagine that he doesn't exist, cos it's likely that he'd have been an option dependent on our league finish.

Which CB's, CM's and forwards could we buy on a reduced budget who'd be able to improve us? Got to be imaginative, names like Partey, Upamecano and Grealish probably don't take into account the reality of our situation.

Players know the situation. Partey will still come regardless by the looks of things.

After that you can get as imaginative as you want, its pointless buying CB's that are on the same level or slightly better than what we have for 20-40m. We need a proper commanding centre half. Maguire went to United for 80 million, stupid money, he turns slower than milk, but the blokes a leader and all he needs is someone like Saliba next to him and you have a very strong partnership.

Sokratis, Mustafi and Luiz are all out of contract next year thank lord.

After that we need a creative player, we can get Grealish from Villa that isn't a problem. But is he good enough?

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Players know the situation. Partey will still come regardless by the looks of things.

After that you can get as imaginative as you want, its pointless buying CB's that are on the same level or slightly better than what we have for 20-40m. We need a proper commanding centre half. Maguire went to United for 80 million, stupid money, he turns slower than milk, but the blokes a leader and all he needs is someone like Saliba next to him and you have a very strong partnership.

Sokratis, Mustafi and Luiz are all out of contract next year thank lord.

After that we need a creative player, we can get Grealish from Villa that isn't a problem. But is he good enough?

So your response to the question that Partey and Grealish are unrealistic signings is simply to say Partey will come no matter what (based on...twitter rumours) and we can get Grealish anyway.

I'm not seeing a lot of realism or imagination there.

Imagine guys like Partey just don't exist and think about which CB's, CM's and forwards you can buy for between 10-20m. That's a better starting point for any wish lists.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
So your response to the question that Partey and Grealish are unrealistic signings is simply to say Partey will come no matter what (based on...twitter rumours) and we can get Grealish anyway.

Imagine guys like Partey just don't exist and think about which CB's, CM's and forwards you can buy for between 10-20m. That's a better starting point for any wish lists.

Not really. We don’t know how the club are going to approach the market, nobody knows. We were told by reporters to expect Ryan Fraser last summer because our accounts showed we didn’t have a lot of money and yet we ended up with a lot more than that. Yes, there’s a pandemic and finances are greatly affected but we still don’t know how the club are going to react to it. We know they’re very interested in Partey and this is while they know the financial implications of the pandemic, so we shouldn’t assume they will only go bargain hunting.

Gunner-Union

dominik szoboszlai am
ibrahim sangare as a cm/dm
as for cb and strikers idk
edouard at celtic

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Not really. We don’t know how the club are going to approach the market, nobody knows. We were told by reporters to expect Ryan Fraser last summer because our accounts showed we didn’t have a lot of money and yet we ended up with a lot more than that. Yes, there’s a pandemic and finances are greatly affected but we still don’t know how the club are going to react to it. We know they’re very interested in Partey and this is while they know the financial implications of the pandemic, so we shouldn’t assume they will only go bargain hunting.

I realise that, you're right no one knows what will happen. I'm merely asking about a certain scenario and one which is potentially very realistic.

Fans have Partey in their wish lists as if it's a done thing. I'm just posing the question: if the club wants a CB, CM and a forward, as per Ornstein, but is working on a reduced budget, who can they actually get.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Really want major sales most of these players deserve to be at the club high wages or not our club have to sit with them in summer and be honest.

Tom349

Nearly every other club across Europe and South America will be in the same situation as us and the market will reflect that. Instead of wanting 30m for a player and replacing him with a 15m player they will ask for 15-20m and replace with 5-10m. Teams will also be more prepared to loan players out. I don't think the quality of the target will change to significantly i.e. if our main target was Havertz on the basis we qualified for CL well we never realistically going to get him. Missing Europa on the other hand isn't going to have the same hurt factor as players won't care for Europa league in the same way they do Champions League which those players are significantly cheaper than a Havertz. Which even with less money by missing Europa thats when you get more creative with how you structure the deal whether that be loan with obligation or player swaps or structured payments over a longer term.

As for the business I suspect we will do. I think Partey is that far down the line that league position isn't relevant. In the same way Pepe was our main target last season, Partey is that this season. So lets for arguments sake say he is our main business and now because of missing out on CL we have to get real creative.

The likes of Sarr and Willian become more attractive/realistic options given their contract statuses. Lacazette departure has more or less covered the cost of Partey. Sokratis, Holding, Kolasanic and maybe Mustafi departures might give 10-20m to spend on finding one CB, depending on what happens with Sarr. Someone like Elvedi from Gladbach who has a year on his contract could be considered for around 10-20m given German sides tend to sell cheaper than other leagues. Guendouzi is a bit of a wildcard and could potentially be sold for a decent profit or used in swap deal for a player who better suits what we need in midfield. Aubameyang similar to Guendouzi although I think he signs on. Bellerin could also be considered surplus to requirements given Soares and AMN could easily displace his current output. Essentially it would be a case of removing players who don't fit the system and replacing them with players who do fit the system.

I also expect us to target the South American market for players like Almada or Gabriel Veron who alongside the signing of a player like Willian would long term be his successor. I think these type of signings would be who we look back on at the end of the window and judge whether we had a a good window while potentially guys like Willian and Elvedi are there for experience and better fit for how Arteta wants to play compared to our current options. Whereas had we qualified for CL then players like Houar and Upacameo would be the preferred targets.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I realise that, you're right no one knows what will happen. I'm merely asking about a certain scenario and one which is potentially very realistic.

Fans have Partey in their wish lists as if it's a done thing. I'm just posing the question: if the club wants a CB, CM and a forward, as per Ornstein, but is working on a reduced budget, who can they actually get.

If they finish outside of the Europa spots maybe they only get a CM and then a forward signing like Willian on a free (or Ryan Fraser). If Auba goes maybe they buy somebody a bit more expensive for the left wing, or maybe they still get Willian and sign a CB with that money instead. I think it’s more likely they shelve a signing for a certain position than make a load of small hopeful signings. In our current situation it’s probably CB that will be the position ignored (considering how many we have). You could argue that with Saliba, Mari, Holding and Chambers you’ve got an almost completely new set of CBs for Arteta to work with.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Guendouzi (£30M)
Kolasinac (£5M)
Sokratis (£3M)
Mustafi (£5M)
Holding (£10M)
Elneny (£2M)
Torreira (£20M)
Lacazette (£25M)

Okay there's the starting point, say we don't make Europe. I don't think we will regardless. So we have pretty much no money to spend and we have to sell to buy.

The list above imo is a fairly priced list, taking everything into consideration.

That's £100M. Don't get me wrong I doubt it will all happen, maybe take Laca or Torreira off the list. So lets say we have £80M to work with for arguments sake.

Partey comes in, £42M spent. £38M to then sign a creative midfielder and then I'd also take Sarr on a free considering we need to get rid of many CB's.

Partey
Sarr
Grealish/Buendia

Isn't wish list stuff, its realistic. You've also got loans like Jovic and Coutinho available as well, there's so many things the club can do and without European football we have a better chance of making top 4. That is now the aim, top 4 next season to get some proper cash in and buy a proper CB.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Guendouzi (£30M)
Kolasinac (£5M)
Sokratis (£3M)
Mustafi (£5M)
Holding (£10M)
Elneny (£2M)
Torreira (£20M)
Lacazette (£25M)

Okay there's the starting point, say we don't make Europe. I don't think we will regardless. So we have pretty much no money to spend and we have to sell to buy.

The list above imo is a fairly priced list, taking everything into consideration.

That's £100M. Don't get me wrong I doubt it will all happen, maybe take Laca or Torreira off the list. So lets say we have £80M to work with for arguments sake.

Partey comes in, £42M spent. £38M to then sign a creative midfielder and then I'd also take Sarr on a free considering we need to get rid of many CB's.

Partey
Sarr
Grealish/Buendia

Isn't wish list stuff, its realistic. You've also got loans like Jovic and Coutinho available as well, there's so many things the club can do and without European football we have a better chance of making top 4. That is now the aim, top 4 next season to get some proper cash in and buy a proper CB.

Yeah those sales would be good. But in any case is it good value for money to buy Partey in our present situation?

What if you just got Ceballos back on loan, and bought say Buendia and Benrahma for the same price as Partey would cost you. That's two young creative players from smaller sides. Isn't that the sort of thing we should be doing? Why spend 40-50m on a CL quality DM when creativity is your biggest problem.

HBL

Established Member
Sign Partey and Thiago Silva, loan Coutinho & hopefully Ceballos on another loan and we've definitely improved our squad.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Everyone loves the idea of "outsmarting the market" until they're actually presented with it. Outsmarting the market isn't spending 40-50m on Thomas Partey or Jack Grealish, you don't do that when you're in a position of weakness. That's a signing you make when you're in a position of strength.

Outsmarting the market is taking chances on players from smaller clubs for modest fees, guys like Buendia, Benrahma, Ibrahima Diallo etc.

mpower2540

Yeah those sales would be good. But in any case is it good value for money to buy Partey in our present situation?

What if you just got Ceballos back on loan, and bought say Buendia and Benrahma for the same price as Partey would cost you. That's two young creative players from smaller sides. Isn't that the sort of thing we should be doing? Why spend 40-50m on a CL quality DM when creativity is your biggest problem.
I’m not a complete expert on Partey but I’ve watched him enough to know he’s more than a DM. The big selling point for me is that he’s multi faceted which is a profile we just don’t have.

He’s strong, can drive with the ball and he can receive it on the half turn and play out of pressure. When a player can do the things he can do it makes teams think twice about pressing us. Half our games involve us playing horse shoe football across the pitch, Partey is a player that adds dynamism not to mention his recovery back into his position is excellent. Benrahma I haven’t seen enough of and Buendia is playing in a poor side but I’d say Partey is exactly the type of player we should be looking to add to our setup. I’m tired of watching players with obvious limits.

Opposition players look at our midfielders/defenders and think “yep I can outrun you, I know where you want to go and force you backwards” with Partey I think he presents problems where opposition players say “I could be in for a tough day today”. I don’t want to make it sound like he solves all our problems because he doesn’t but he’s a profile of player we sorely lack and I’m slightly biased because I’ve always enjoyed watching him

HBL

Established Member
Benrahma and Buendia would both cost £20-25m each, not sure that's outsmarting the market.

TornadoTed

Established Member
We have the option of using a smaller squad next year if we don't have European football, that means we could sell more this Summer. I am in favour of it too, Pep and Nuno for example have both said that they find it easier to get their ideas across and be more detailed with a smaller group of players.

We have a squad of 26 players currently, not counting Ceballos. Plus Elneny, Mkhi, Mavro, Saliba, Smith Rowe and Osei-Tutu out on loan. That is 32 players, we could easily cull a dozen of those.

If we could shift the majority of the players who have no future here, Mkhi, Elneny, Mavropanos, Sokratis, Mustafi, Holding, Osei-Tutu, Torreira, Guendouzi, AMN, Özil and Laca we should be able to make a sizeable amount to sign 2-3 high quality players leaving us with a squad around 22-23 players + a couple of under 23's which is perfect to my mind without European football.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I’m not a complete expert on Partey but I’ve watched him enough to know he’s more than a DM. The big selling point for me is that he’s multi faceted which is a profile we just don’t have.

He’s strong, can drive with the ball and he can receive it on the half turn and play out of pressure. When a player can do the things he can do it makes teams think twice about pressing us. Half our games involve us playing horse shoe football across the pitch, Partey is a player that adds dynamism not to mention his recovery back into his position is excellent. Benrahma I haven’t seen enough of and Buendia is playing in a poor side but I’d say Partey is exactly the type of player we should be looking to add to our setup. I’m tired of watching players with obvious limits.

Opposition players look at our midfielders/defenders and think “yep I can outrun you, I know where you want to go and force you backwards” with Partey I think he presents problems where opposition players say “I could be in for a tough day today”. I don’t want to make it sound like he solves all our problems because he doesn’t but he’s a profile of player we sorely lack and I’m slightly biased because I’ve always enjoyed watching him

I'm not saying Partey is a bad player. He's clearly a very good player, i'm just asking whether he is the best use of our resources. I agree he's not a pure DM, he can do more than that. But he's not a creative player by any stretch of the imagination. We need creativity. Why on earth would you spend so much money on a player who doesn't give you the thing you're missing most of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom