• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emi Martinez: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member

Some of these saves for reading are crazy..he seems to have improved his rebound control this season too.

This is definitely good to know and hopefully his consistent level.

A lot of them saves in that video should have been guaranteed goals if not for Martinez pulling it out the bag.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I still prefer Leno. Should Martínez lose his spot once Leno is available though? Absolutely not.

Whether here or elsewhere he deserves to be #1.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

As a fan of Atletico who always have top GK’s and also as a man of considerable lanky ness, who do you prefer?

Very similar level imo. A lot being made of Emi’s saves to his weak hand but Leno made some incredible saves going that way like these.

Think for me the difference is that Emi is just a magnet for the ball when it’s crossed in. Manages to hold onto so many difficult crosses which is such an important quality.

I think that’s one area where Leno isn’t quite on his level, I think Emi right now is the way to go. I still think Leno is a quality keeper but they’re both similar ages so if a serious offer came in I wouldn’t be adverse to selling him.

There’s a couple of young keepers about like Meslier, Larsonneur or Rajkovic who look talented. Might be worth signing one of those to keep the conveyor belt going.

Last edited:

Ewarwoowar

Difficult to make a judgement on who is the best shot stopper, when asked upon Emi has proved to be sh*t hot in that department, but truthfully Leno (through Emery era) his goal was getting peppered more than a diarrhia'd up vegan pepper up a toilet bowl and for Leno, no flies on him that sh*t did not stick.

Where I am more at ease with Emi is his timing recently has been quality feeling assured when he rushes out to intercept, the questions of Leno is his flapping on lofted balls, on corners other teams put players on him to block or wrestle him where as Emi has the physicality to plow through that, Emi distribution is better also, but yes two amazing goalies I feel being in Europa is essential to have any chance of keeping both happy, what a conundrum to have.

Last edited:

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
For me Emi has the No.1 Jersey and until he ****s up or Leno completely outshines him in training he stays number one. Apart from the Firmino thing which didnt cost us hes been immaculate. Comes for high balls and corners with confidence looks good with the ball at his feet. Is an absolute unit of a keeper.

If he plays this well and gets dropped what more can he do like. You encourage competition and when somebody comes in and excels you have to reward them.

balthazar

Looking at Martinez' stats, it is amazing that he has so few games to his name. He is 27 years old and has played less than a hundred professional games . Maitland-Niles has already 130 according to Wiki. Martinez is actually still a rookie keeper, despite his age. Keepers usually blossom later, so one should be able to expect Martinez to keep getting better. Imagine him with two full seasons as the main keeper for Arsenal and Argentina.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Is he suddenly this good or were we just not picking him ahead of that midget Ospina?

Firstly the loan spell at Reading and us finally getting competent goalkeeping coaching have both made a difference, and secondly, for all his genius, Wenger never was a good judge of goalkeepers, bar Lehmann

lomekian

Essays are my thing

Some of these saves for reading are crazy..he seems to have improved his rebound control this season too.

What's remarkable is that he's already made about 10 more difficult saves for us since Leno's injury than any in that video and with much better handling too.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Firstly the loan spell at Reading and us finally getting competent goalkeeping coaching have both made a difference, and secondly, for all his genius, Wenger never was a good judge of goalkeepers, bar Lehmann

He did develop and give chances to Szcz, Fabianski and Martinez. Ospina wasnt a bad buy.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He did develop and give chances to Szcz, Fabianski and Martinez. Ospina wasnt a bad buy.
Unbelievable he stuck with Cech though, and I don’t think a guy like Almunia should’ve played here for as long as he did.

GDeep™

League is very weak
One positive looking ahead for Emi - Leno is not an Arteta man.

Normally managers sign keepers, convince them to join and tend to stay loyal to them, Arteta and Leno won’t have that.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Unbelievable he stuck with Cech though, and I don’t think a guy like Almunia should’ve played here for as long as he did.

I think Wenger prioritised the development of young players over immediate results and had huge patience. Martinez has been here for 10 yrs and now finally seems to have come of age.

In that toxic environment szcz, fab etc were all put under too much pressure too young, remember Flappyhandski, when in fact Wenger was deliberately over-egging the attack at the cost of defence, as a way to ensure top4. The squad would win most game but get found out against real quality strong teams. He shifted gear later but the board let him down. Couldnt land readymade stars.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Will definitely consider selling Leno if a good offer comes in. Get 20m for Leno, add 5m and buy Gabriel Mangalhaes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom