• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Worst Arsenal memory?

What is your worst Arsenal memory?

• Total voters

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Champions League 06. Without a doubt. Their goal being offside made it even worse. Took a long time to get over.

Honourable mentions to Nayim in 95, Nelson Vivas vs Leeds in 99, Birmingham in the League Cup Final, Rocky being sold to Leeds, RVP's 'hey guys' letter and Eduardo's leg break.

Still more highs than lows though ;-)

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Seeing this thread has made me realize something.

Does any other club have so many bad memories or results in modern times?

Many of our bad memories are the result of expectations and hopes - many clubs don;t have much of either.

And to be fair, I don't know when you are counting modern times from, but I've seen Arsenal win 5 league titles, 8 Fa Cups, 2 League Cups, A cup Winners Cup and have an unbeaten season, as well as having some of the finest players ever to grace English football.

I always take comfort from a simple fact. I always said I'd support whoever I saw play live at home first. A month after my first trip to Highbury, I was taken by someone else to QPR.

So while we've had the pain of the odd big defeat and losing finals etc, we've not been relegated, we've not been on the verge of going bust, we've not sold our best player to mediocre teams, and we've had a hell of a lot more good in the last decade than half the clubs in this country have had in their entire history.

Wryer

The loss at home against Man utd in the UCL semi final.

Always felt that was the start of our long running mental weakness and inability to come up consistently in big occasions. Something broke that day.

Birmingham was a close second. Man, that was hard to take. I remember I was close to tears on the train back, and my fiance asked me - it's just a game isn't it?

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
My worst Arsenal memory has to Emery's second season.

I could go through a list of individual matches that were devastating and hard to mentally recover from, but at least with Wenger there existed a hope that the next match would be better. I could use this hope to bounce back and look forward to the next match. Even if we did not challenge for the title there would be enough moments of artistry and magic during a season that would make all of lows seem less tragic.

However, under Emery the magic and artistry were gone. Every match was just mediocre drudgery, and I found myself watching matches more out of habit than excitement. My expectation was that things were only going to get worse, and I hoped for things to end sooner rather than later. The lows were only going to go lower.

Also, I really disliked Emery's first season and by December of 2018, I knew things were going to go south. However, we at least had Ramsey playing his heart out before he left for Juventus, and that made the season tolerable until he went down injured and Emery blew an easy opportunity to finish in the top four and win the Europa League.

I'd never had such a bleak attachment to Arsenal during Wenger's tenure.

Emery was a living nightmare each and every week.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
What a first game :lol:

I know what you mean, all logic suggested United would beat us...they had Van Der Sar in goal we had Almunia, they had Rio and Vidic at the back and I think Djourou played that night for us...convinced we were gonna lose that semi.

But after getting out of Old Trafford only 1-0 down, as match time approached at The Emirates, I started to believe...it's football, anything can happen in a match.

They beat us like an older brother beating his younger brother in a game...it's the hope that kills!

Now someone please correct me if I’m wrong, my memory may be scrambled. Wasn’t this around the time Adebayor wanted to leave Arsenal and started pretty much standing motionless for lengthy periods throughout games?

Astounding behaviour. The guy burned his bridges with every club!

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Both legs against Liverpool in the CL were disasters. It’s up there for me.

That ref in the first leg was so corrupt ffs, I remember he was from pretty much the same town as Kuyt too. I still can’t get over it to this day then we got ******* over in the second leg by that cheat Ryan Babel who dived for the penalty.

alex-hleb-arsenal-fouled-dirk-kuyt-penalty-715833.jpg

How is this not a penalty?

:lol:

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

If Clichy just clears that ball we win the title that year, so frustrating to think of.. Gallas stupid handball after we take the lead at OT is another, so many silly mistakes that proved costly..

IIRC a key moment in that game was when Adebayor was put through 1 vs 1 and could have squared it to Bendtner for an easy tap in but didn’t and missed.

That would have easily killed off the game.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
recently? Auba's miss against Olympiakos.

I love him and all, but dang it! that was ****ing heartwrenching.

When the ball fell to him in the last second, I was like FAIRY TALE! But no, the fcuker fluffed it.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Now someone please correct me if I’m wrong, my memory may be scrambled. Wasn’t this around the time Adebayor wanted to leave Arsenal and started pretty much standing motionless for lengthy periods throughout games?

Ade had so many games in the 2008/2009 season, where he looked less mobile than Mertesacker, he was a bit of a disgrace.

Think he compared his situation at Arsenal when Barcelona wanted to buy him that summer to... “Wanting to stay loyal to your wife, but Beyoncé wants you too” ...**** :lol:

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
CL Final without a doubt. Amazing route to the final beating both Juve and Real. Then to finish with Barca, I think while it gets called Europe’s elite competition people take for granted how easy your route to the final can be.

Then to see the finishing line in sight only to be pulled back by an offside goal. Wenger, Henry, Campbell, Pires... so many deserved that title. Still remains the only real over clubs and fans have over us.

Riou

I think while it gets called Europe’s elite competition people take for granted how easy your route to the final can be.

I wish they kept it as just the champions of each league are in it, would make it feel a true super trophy.

Plus the Europa League would also be more important in that instance, as it would truly be best of the rest...as opposed to the best of the rest, after the true best of the rest also get into the Champions League!

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

The cl final was a joke i agree, but that 8-2 was digusting and the start of our downfall.

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
The CL Final was bad, but it was a great couple of days, I got in, and a team I respected ( at the time ) won it.
Wayne Bridge - the night London became blue, a dirty, fake blue, but blue nonetheless.
I had had enough of Wenger around 2008, and had wobbled a few times before that ( CL Final, his line-up, substitutions, his persona getting too big, etc., etc ), so the 8-2 and all the other defeats under him didn't really hurt.
The 6-0 was actually quite enjoyable.

My worst footballing moment was Ipswich, '78
My first Cup Final, and losing to them really hurt.

My worst moment at an Arsenal game. 1st May, '82. R.I.P. JD

Shalmaneser V

2006 Champions league final loss to Barcelona
1999 FA cup semi final loss to Man Utd
2000 Uefa cup final loss to Galatasaray
2011 League cup final loss to Birmingham
2001 FA cup final loss to Liverpool

In that order.

Riou

Wayne Bridge - the night London became blue, a dirty, fake blue, but blue nonetheless.

I mean, we did win an Invincible championship a few months later, while they finished trophyless...maybe not quite the night London turned blue :lol:

Would say when they won the European Cup in 2012 was the night it became blue unfortunately.

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
I mean, we did win an Invincible championship a few months later, while they finished trophyless...maybe not quite the night London turned blue :lol:

Would say when they won the European Cup in 2012 was the night it became blue unfortunately.
Fair point, well made

but...

We'd beaten them twice in the League before that night, and then they showed up and blew us away
We'd lost to Man United in the FA Cup semifinal on the Saturday, and that Tuesday night defeat saw us knocked out of the 2 big Cup competitions in 4 days, and stopped the chance of us getting a Triple.
That really hurt. And it showed the weakness in that team, and the manager.

We beat Liverpool on the Good Friday 4-2, but had to come back from 1-0 down and 2-1 down, and the rest of the season it seemed like AW was just trying to get us over the line unbeaten.

The Invincibles Season wasn't even the best Season The Arsenal ever had.
The 1990/91 season we finished losing only 1 game, when our Captain was in Jail, and that team would have kicked the "so-called" Invincibles collective arses.

Only 1 foreigner, Limpar, and O'Leary, and a team that could play beautiful football and win and fight and win...see ManU away.

That was football, for me.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Fair point, well made

but...

We'd beaten them twice in the League before that night, and then they showed up and blew us away
We'd lost to Man United in the FA Cup semifinal on the Saturday, and that Tuesday night defeat saw us knocked out of the 2 big Cup competitions in 4 days, and stopped the chance of us getting a Triple.

We beat Liverpool on the Good Friday 4-2, but had to come back from 1-0 down and 2-1 down, and the rest of the season it seemed like AW was just trying to get us over the line unbeaten.

The 1990/91 season we finished losing only 1 game, when our Captain was in Jail, and that team would have kicked the "so-called" Invincibles collective arses.

Only 1 foreigner, Limpar, and O'Leary, and a team that could play beautiful football and win and fight and win...see ManU away.

91 team was massively underrated (as was the second half of the season for the 91/92 team), but the 3 Wenger title sides were the best balanced teams I've seen. Teams full of physical power, dynamism, speed, technique, aggression and wonderful synchronicity. There were times during that period where the quality of the play would make you laugh. So many games won after about 20 mins, 3-0 up, opposition chasing shadows, attacking players playing passes blindly but still always to teammates, and the likes of Paddy, Gilberto, Sol, Adams etc just taking the ball off opponents like a competitive uncle vs toddlers.

My heart will always be closer to 89 & 91, but for sheer brilliance the Vieira/Bergkamp overlap period was hard to beat.

Riou

All our league winning teams are legendary for this club.

The two big ones though will always be 88/89 and 03/04...1989 as it was the best moment in our history and 2004 as it was the best achievement in our history.

Fair point, well made

but...

You don't need to have a go at The Invincibles, to make another of our league winning teams look stronger...appreciate them both, they are both great Arsenal teams.

Also...what does the amount of foreigners in a team have to do with anything? :lol:

Hexagon9

Good job we haven’t had any players like that since......

Hexagon9

Losing 2-1 at home to Derby County in May 1989. After 18 barren years it looked as though we’d managed to throw the title away from a seemingly “safe” position. It was all over for us as nobody went to Anfield in those days and got a result in a game that mattered.......

CL final was grim, but the pain was tempered by the knowledge that it would only be a year or two before we’d be in another one.:(

Latest posts+

Top Bottom