• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Deep down Arsenal always knew FFP was never for us, it was just an excuse for the Kroenke’s not to invest when the time came. FIFA don’t want the super league to happen so they were always going to bend over for City.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Deep down Arsenal always knew FFP was never for us, it was just an excuse for the Kroenke’s not to invest when the time came. FIFA don’t want the super league to happen so they were always going to bend over for City.
Well FFP is suspended for two years so that excuse has gone. I keep hearing that the refinancing is good for us and yet still we have no money despite Wenger leaving £300m at least for his successor to waste.

tcahill

Why do you refuse to believe it when we’ve seen it with our eyes? Arteta had to go to a 3 at the back because these guys are so bad.

Saliba is a kid, Luiz can’t play in a two, Mustafi was born with mistakes in his DNA, Arteta hasn’t given Sok even a minute at CB I think. You’ve just listed absolute trash options.

I suspect we’re signing in the positions you mentioned as well as a CB. Don’t forget we’re most likely loaning, look for free guys or swapping, so this opens up Willian, Coutinho etc. Not players I want, but they cover what you asked for without a transfer fee.

Very fair opinion, but I think Chambers is decent, Mari must have something that Arteta likes besides a working left foot, Saliba looks very good in France, and should at least be decent here. Plenty on here rate Holding (I personally don't). Agree about Luiz, Mustafi and Sokratis though. Another point to consider is that our CBs will have more protection if we rebuild the midfield properly. If our board sign Willian and Coutinho I'm taking the season off.

The main issue still stands that we have too many CBs, and I can't see us buying another one for big money unless we can move on some of the dross, which I also can't see us doing.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
No it wasn’t. I don’t know why people are liking this post.

Highbury couldn’t be expanded and by staying there today you would have one of the smallest grounds in the PL.

Yeah, think it's more the way we moved stadium was the problem, rather than actually moving stadium.

Still though, miss Highbury, do wish we stayed.

Riou

Stay and do what at Highbury? Compete with Burnley?

Yeah, we have definitely gone up a level since moving to the Emirates...achieved nothing at Highbury really...

Plus maybe the future wouldn't have been different, if we stayed at Highbury longer...we wouldn't have had to cripple our transfer budget for years paying the banks back, maybe a better owner than Stan would have taken us over and pushed us on...you never know.

Plus it just felt right being there, first time I went was like going somewhere I had been all my life for the very first time.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Yeah, we have definitely gone up a level since moving to the Emirates...achieved nothing at Highbury really...

Plus maybe the future wouldn't have been different, if we stayed at Highbury longer...we wouldn't have had to cripple our transfer budget for years paying the banks back, maybe a better owner than Stan would have taken us over and pushed us on...you never know.

Plus it just felt right being there, first time I went was like going somewhere I had been all my life for the very first time.
Don’t be so thick ffs.

Riou

Not saying it's the case here but it's generally just another stick anti-wenger types use to bash him with.

Arsène had the right idea, the board let him down though.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

We were going to be left behind if we didn’t make the move. We might be dreadful on the pitch now but the money spent by us in recent years wouldn’t be available if we were still at Highbury.

You’re looking at an Everton situation with a decaying stadium that’s not fit for purpose and a new stadium getting more and more expensive to buy.

Sp**s got lucky in that the council allowed them to develop White Hart Lane and West Ham lucked into a London council desperate to save face and shift it’s white elephant of an Olympic stadium.

We had to bite the bullet and hopefully ride out the massively restricted budget for five to six years and reap the rewards long term.

This is backed up by our net transfer spending from 2013 onwards.
  • 2013 - 33M net spend
  • 2014 - 77M net spend
  • 2015 - 22M net spend
  • 2016 - 92M net spend
This is where the issue was. Recruitment. It went off a cliff in about 2013 and the years we should have been improving because we could spend money we actually got worse.

100M spent on Lucas Perez, Cech, Elneny, Debuchy, Gabriel and Mustafi. Utter dross.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
French players ( and managers ) should stay in the French League, where they belong.

fxp5ojjioovxacw58ixn.jpg

Riou

We were going to be left behind if we didn’t make the move. We might be dreadful on the pitch now but the money spent by us in recent years wouldn’t be available if we were still at Highbury.

You’re looking at an Everton situation with a decaying stadium that’s not fit for purpose and a new stadium getting more and more expensive to buy.

Sp**s got lucky in that the council allowed them to develop White Hart Lane and West Ham lucked into a London council desperate to save face and shift it’s white elephant of an Olympic stadium.

We had to bite the bullet and hopefully ride out the massively restricted budget for five to six years and reap the rewards long term.

This is backed up by our net transfer spending from 2013 onwards.
  • 2013 - 33M net spend
  • 2014 - 77M net spend
  • 2015 - 22M net spend
  • 2016 - 92M net spend
This is where the issue was. Recruitment. It went off a cliff in about 2013 and the years we should have been improving because we could spend money we actually got worse.

100M spent on Lucas Perez, Cech, Elneny, Debuchy, Gabriel and Mustafi. Utter dross.

I would have just preferred to not to have had to bit that bullet when we did, would have wanted more cash 2006 tbf...the squad we had when we first moved to The Emirates was really close to being a great one, would have liked to build on that one more (the likes of Cashley might have stayed too if we had more funds to use), even if I did really like our 2013-2015 team.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

Both useless tbf...should have used Jeffers and Bentley more back then instead, might have achieved something special then.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, think it's more the way we moved stadium was the problem, rather than actually moving stadium.

Still though, miss Highbury, do wish we stayed.
Preferred Highbury definitely but don't think staying was ever on the table was it? Always thought it was either new stadium or play at Wembley and board picked new stadium resulting in Dein leaving.

Latest posts

Top Bottom