• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emiliano Martínez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Expect we’ll get a few enquiries from teams like Leeds, Everton and Sheffield United (if they can’t get Henderson back).

A club in our position can’t afford to turn down £20m+ for a keeper when we’ve got another good one.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Yeah and the minute we can’t sell players for a decent fee it’s the same fans complaining who were the ones saying we shouldn’t sell. If Martinez goes back to sitting on the bench next season how much do you think we will get when he’s sitting there with one year on his contract and decides not to extend because he doesn’t want to be a no.2?

None of our competitors have competition at the goalkeeper position so why should we have two no.1 keepers? The only reason people don’t want to sell Martinez is sentimentality. If Ospina had come in and had a spell like this people would’ve been driving him to whatever club showed interest.
So, sell because we can get a decent price and go into the season with just one good GK knowing our history with injuries? That's going to be like the season we only bought Cech and went into the season with Giroud as our only decent CF.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Some has forgotten those goals Leno gave away in the most disastrous way, he can be outstanding but disastrous going in the air in every single set piece

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
I‘d prefer to sell Leno instead as he‘ll bring more money but whatever we do, we‘ll be left with a top GK.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Purple patch or not. With what Martinez has shown you must agree that Leno is seriously lacking in many departments. If Martinez go we must start a search instantly for a GK that can play solid for us!
Only thing Leno is lacking in is on crosses, where Emi's height advantage wins. He's not not perfect, look here at the 2:00 mark:

Shocking goalkeeping completely ignored by most people because the Villa player missed. Just like he made it easy for the Brighton striker to score their second by going down straight away.

Only thing Leno is lacking in is on crosses, where Emi's height advantage wins. He's not not perfect, look here at the 2:00 mark:

Shocking goalkeeping completely ignored by most people because the Villa player missed. Just like he made it easy for the Brighton striker to score their second by going down straight away.

I think Martinez is superior in the air and distribution. Might even edge Leno as shot-stopper and seems to have a better mentality.

The point is I think Martinez has shown in his short stint here that Leno is massively lacking to be our number 1 GK moving forwards. Don't think he will ever cut it at a club that wants to be a serious top4 contender.

senna

I think fans have really been blinded by a few good games from Martinez where he's played for a manager who managed to put a defensive structure in place.

Leno is the far superior GK and shot stopper, he literally was our best player this season (maybe bar Auba) until the stoppage for covid playing in a team with no defensive structure. Some outrageous wonder saves (one against KDB springs to mind). Leno needs to improve his distribution and cut out the concentration lapses like against Chelsea. Martinez has a lot to prove, his distribution is better but his positioning is dodgy & his shot stopping is still weak whenever he has played for us in the europa or carling cup many soft goals e.g. the two Origi scored in league cup this year. Decent back up, not a no.1.

Last edited:

ClubLevel

Also think the no fans in stadium makes a difference, it takes a bit of pressure away from games, especially the away games where the fans are on top of you. Martinez hasn't really had that pressure yet.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Both are good goal keepers. Neither are elite, but I feel more confident with Martinez between the sticks. He's more solid. Leno is probably the better all rounder, but Martinez commands his area far better.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
How good a goalkeeper is in the air is one of the most important aspects of being a keeper. Corners, free kicks etc are numerous in every game, for that reason alone I would sell Leno before Martinez. Its not just the height advantage, he holds onto the ball, he doesnt fumble! Another aspect where Martinez is superior is decision making, no "must keep playing it out from the back" etched in his brain like Leno, Martinez will just clear it rather than risking errors. His long distribution is also superior! I know we're talking about a short period of time but keepers are different to outfield players, everything is under the microscope with a keeper so weaknesses and strengths are all highlighted. Martinez seems to have a lot more strengths than Leno, we'd be crazy to sell the better keeper for less money.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Is 40 games in two season where the majority of it he was on bench and only used as a third and second choice keeper in second rate competitions meant to be impressive? Not to mention until his recent form, he stunk the place up for most of his apps for us.

He's almost 28 and barely has 80apps in his career. This is worse than when people starting hyping up and overrating Ospina over couple of good apps, at least Ospina was an actual professional goalkeeper playing in top leagues instead of a pro benchwarmer.

Shallow. You obviously are not watching his performances since he came into the team.

Honestly, he looks like Buffon for us while Leno looks like a twig.

Goalkeepers can be late bloomers, and Emi appears to be that.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I think when it comes to GKs, we have to trust the training staff, who see them most every day - it must be easier to assess goalkeeping than other positions, by practicing saving penalties, dealing with crosses etc

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Big Emi fan but we don’t have to sh*t on Leno to raise Emi up.

They’re both top goalkeepers and I’ll be happy with whichever one is between the sticks next year.

morpho

Established Member
Why? We need both to keep eachother on the edge. Watch how either of them will turn to shait the moment we bring in a lesser one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom