• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Tsar

Arsenal overslept the digital time. While the expirience of Arsène (thy name be praised) did help in over the years, we were sleeping in other Areas such as good relationsships with Agents who represent decent players. Now as we are building towards it we pay the price:
Bums like Kia will be sucking money out of Arsenal, while we get shabby players.

Top Quality

I think it was probably the right idea at the time to move away to a larger capacity ground. Then things happened - TV deals, rich owners, ... - that made it less of an advantage than it otherwise would have been. Too bad, but it is what it is. At least we didn't have to move far.

What still really bums me out, however, is that we built one of the most boring, corporate looking stadiums in the league, ...in Europe. From the outside it looks like a ****ty shopping mall in a rich suburb, and the inside is soulless even after nearly 15 years of fan habitation. It is feature-less, inoffensive, slick, trite. Even a nice touch like the clock end clock is stuck on so awkwardly that it almost seems to emphasise how generic the rest of the stadium is. It's a place we play our home games, it has 60.000 seats - but it could have been so much more. (Although I'm sure there could've plenty of planning parameters that limited the architects in the design - triangle site near railways, minimal budget, etc.)

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Our players playing without a crowd has been a blessing. Our home atmosphere is toxic with fans there and it affects the players performance.

I think you're right but I think its a blessing for both parties. Its been good for the players but I also hope that when the fans return they would have calmed the **** down and put things into perspective.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
I think it was probably the right idea at the time to move away to a larger capacity ground. Then things happened - TV deals, rich owners, ... - that made it less of an advantage than it otherwise would have been. Too bad, but it is what it is. At least we didn't have to move far.

What still really bums me out, however, is that we built one of the most boring, corporate looking stadiums in the league, ...in Europe. From the outside it looks like a ****ty shopping mall in a rich suburb, and the inside is soulless even after nearly 15 years of fan habitation. It is feature-less, inoffensive, slick, trite. Even a nice touch like the clock end clock is stuck on so awkwardly that it almost seems to emphasise how generic the rest of the stadium is. It's a place we play our home games, it has 60.000 seats - but it could have been so much more. (Although I'm sure there could've plenty of planning parameters that limited the architects in the design - triangle site near railways, minimal budget, etc.)
The capacity couldn`t e higher than 60 000 because of public transport capacity. The Holloway Road station would have to go through major upgrading if that was to be possible.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Had chelsea and city takeovers not happened, changing the financial landscape of English football in the process, we'd be in a position to be one of the best. No one could have seen that coming when they began planning.
A worldwide recession in 2007 didn't help either as the Highbury development sales were less than we hoped. Selling now would net us 50 percent more than we got then. Our timing was so unlucky.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Our players playing without a crowd has been a blessing. Our home atmosphere is toxic with fans there and it affects the players performance.

I think with the way things have gone in recent times I agree, it's very hard at the Emirates especially trying to play out from the back, there's always a lot of groaning. Hopefully we're at a stage now that we're so comfortable doing it that it won't be an issue when the fans are allowed back in. I do think tho the last few years going from 15/16 to just before lockdown it was such a bad period that it contributed to the atmosphere.

I do think having no fans has made it a bit easier for Arteta and the players especially in this transitional phase. I still think the team will be glad to see the fans back whenever it's safe. Especially for the big home matches having 60,000 behind you can really help raise your game. Think back to the United game on New Years, incredible atmosphere.

Manberg

Predator
I don’t like how people put Sokratis in the clown group with Mustafi, Holding and Luiz. He’s actually a decent defender. It’s just that he can’t pass.

The game has changed. Passing and defending go hand in hand. We play out from the back. Defenders must be good at passing. Didn’t he give away a goal under Emery at one point because he couldn’t pass while the team tried to play out from the back?

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Big contract, little resell value. Will his attitude/work ethic drop etc.

So only worries really are his performance levels, personally I cant see it being an issue. Aubameyang has scored goals during his whole time here, at Dortmund and St Etienne, I dont think his attitude or work ethic is even a question where as Özil's was.

The two dont really compare as Özil had question marks prior to signing, its a bit unfair on Auba to put him in that catergory.

roz

Fake News Merchant
So only worries really are his performance levels, personally I cant see it being an issue. Aubameyang has scored goals during his whole time here, at Dortmund and St Etienne, I dont think his attitude or work ethic is even a question where as Özil's was.

The two dont really compare as Özil had question marks prior to signing, its a bit unfair on Auba to put him in that catergory.
Yeah I hope so but generally player’s performances drop going into their 30’s. Clearly he has a fantastic attitude but it still worries me as we don't have a good track record when it comes to contracts.

Top Bottom