• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel dos Santos Magalhães

Do you think Gabriel will end up signing for Arsenal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Nice job, thanks. Gabriel comes out really well.

Curious how you made this. Any tutorials you can point me towards?
Not really. I have a background working with analytics and data visualization but I found it rather simple.

It's doable with Google sheets and Excel, but was really easy with Vizzlo.com - I found it googling and signed up for a trial. Just create a radar chart and modify labels, then look up values for the metrics on FBref.com. Some are calculations (simple ones) and I'll see if I can find some time to do a short write up on it :)

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Not really. I have a background working with analytics and data visualization but I found it rather simple.

It's doable with Google sheets and Excel, but was really easy with Vizzlo.com - I found it googling and signed up for a trial. Just create a radar chart and modify labels, then look up values for the metrics on FBref.com. Some are calculations (simple ones) and I'll see if I can find some time to do a short write up on it :)
I should be able to do that as well, but would be interesting!

Shalmaneser V

Milner was not signed to be a backup at Liverpool, he’s actually a perfect example of signing a player who creates a competitive atmosphere at the club. He currently holds the CL record for assists in a campaign, he’s only become a back-up because Liverpool signed Fabinho. That’s how it should be.

Park is another one I’m not sure was signed to be a back-up I seem to remember him always starting against us and being an absolute pain. Feel like he was first name on the team sheet against Arsenal ffs. :lol:

Again, like Milner, signing a utility player is different to signing somebody to be a backup up. Cedric for example is not a utility player, neither is Mari.

The rest of your examples don’t really apply to us. Delph was signed fo be utility/to help with HG player quotas, he was actually a good player at the time too. Liverpool should also have signed a better player than Shaqiri to challenge their front three. Firmino went almost a whole season without scoring at home, if he had a young hungry forward on the bench itching to take his place I’m not sure that would have happened.

We seem to have different definitions of “back up” player.

My point is the likes of Milner, Park, Delph and Shaqiri were not signed by their clubs as nailed on starters or significant upgrades to what was already there. They were brought in as mainly squad players to do a job when required. It’s part of squad building.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We seem to have different definitions of “back up” player.

My point is the likes of Milner, Park, Delph and Shaqiri were not signed by their clubs as nailed on starters or significant upgrades to what was already there. They were brought in as mainly squad players to do a job when required. It’s part of squad building.
Yeah, depends on where your team is though. If you're at the top of the game then it goes without saying that you'll be signing guys to push your existing starting eleven.

We on the other hand are not anywhere near where we need to be, we (99% of the time) shouldn't be signing guys unless they are starters.

Miracetti

He was there for a little while after not getting a kick in Europe.
He joined the best club in Brazil, big deal. Dead league, they don’t even run in Brazil, they walk and play football.
He was there for a little while after not getting a kick in Europe. He was in Holland and mid table Spanish clubs, never got a kick.

He joined the best club in Brazil, big deal. Dead league, they don’t even run in Brazil, they walk and play football.
This is beyond silly. Are you aware that Brazil won more than 20% of the world cups? You dont need talk like a disrespectful teen, as if Brazilian football was the Guatemala League. If you think Brazilian League and Libertadores do not provide a basis to judge potential of players, why almost every year in the Uefa CL ideal XI we have players formed in brazilian league, but we almost never see an english player there? Why 9 out of 10 times when you line up the two NTs, the brazilian nt is much stronger? And brazilian football is slower not because players can't run, "Einstein", its because in general the temperatures are 30 degree celsius higher than in England.

say yes

forum master baiter
21HTFCt.png

Became a little interested in comparing players so threw this together. Based on their resp domestic league stats 19/20 season.

Gabriel stands out to me, looks a no brainer tbh. Slight concern over his passing, though. He hits fewer long balls than the others as well and that should really give him a relatively higher Passing%. Originally had Aké in there as well, but visualization became really messy so removed. But he falls short imo.

It's based on Statsbomb CB template, but I have replaced their metrics of "Pressured Long Balls" and "Unpressured Long Balls" with "PAdj Passes into final third" and "Passes under pressure ratio" (how many % of passes came under pressure from opponent). Did this because of difficulties with extracting the data for their original metrics.

I had to reverse engineer the PAdj Tackles & PAdj Interceptions but think I managed to with some help from the internet. Verified it vs van Dijk and Wan Bissaka's 18/19 seasons and it checked out, but small disclaimer on validity there.

Suggestions on other metrics very welcome!
This is awesome. More like it please!

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Idk about that example bro, Vertonghen and Alderweireld. They played together at Ajax for years too before they played together at Tottenham. Perhaps it means we need to check if ASS have another talented defenseman for us? :D

True true, but Ajax is a bit different. Can't think of any famous CB partnership at a top club in a big league composed of two young CB's.

Like this year Gabriel has been the junior partner next to Fonte, and we want him to come here and be the senior partner next to Saliba? Even if we did buy Gabriel I imagine it'd be a while before they were the first choice partnership.

And let's not go overboard with Gabriel, he looks very promising and has lots of great attributes, but he's not perfect. He's not quite a young Rio Ferdinand or something.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
How old were Vidic and Rio when they formed their partnership at Utd? Weren’t they both youngish or am I high?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
No wait Carvahlo was 26 and Terry 23.

Yeah Carvalho 26 and Terry 24, Rio 28 Vidic 25, Per 27 Kos 26, Puyol 30 Pique 21, Maldini 34 Nesta 26...these partnerships are usually similar age but older or one is significantly older than the other.

You could play a 19 year old next to a 22 year old in Ligue 1 or the Eredivisie but if you do that in the PL you're not gonna get anywhere near top 4.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Yeah Carvalho 26 and Terry 24, Rio 28 Vidic 25, Per 27 Kos 26, Puyol 30 Pique 21, Maldini 34 Nesta 26...these partnerships are usually similar age but older or one is significantly older than the other.

You could play a 19 year old next to a 22 year old in Ligue 1 or the Eredivisie but if you do that in the PL you're not gonna get anywhere near top 4.
Yeah I understand. Varane and Ramos come into mind too. I guess the question is. Who can we sign who’s in that bracket of world class and a tutor to Saliba?

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Yeah I understand. Varane and Ramos come into mind too. I guess the question is. Who can we sign who’s in that bracket of world class and a tutor to Saliba?

We wont be able to lure a world class centre back. However there is a pool of defenders who are better than what we have which could help reach top 4. As I said before Liverpool didnt jump from Skrtel to Van Dijk over night. They had to go via Lovren etc first.

We need someone who's not world class but is significantly better than what we have. Then if we get top 4 or so we can look at the next bracket of players. World class defenders dont join teams that finished 8th.

Hinderz

As far as “world class” defenders go, Skriniar is available. Sp**s and Man U are apparently looking at part exchange deals. We should be all over that.

I wonder if they’d want any of Lacazette, torreira, Guendouz, Kolašinac or our cbs?

Skriniar (25), Gabriel (22) and Saliba (19) would be a hell of an upgrade

Last edited:

benjamin86

Established Member

We have Mari and Luiz as the older CB's?

benjamin86

Established Member
Mari, Gabriel/Ndicka or whoever for LCB Luiz and Saliba for RCB with Chambers as utility seems decent enough. Just need to find buyers for Mustafi, Sokratis and Holding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom