• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 231,476

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
So signing Willian on a free is super risky because it costs us 18mil over 3 seasons and he could fall off a cliff at some point but signing a 25 year old dude from the premiership for 30mil +20-25mil of wages for 5 years is not because making that step up is so easy and he for sure would be a hit immediately?
Haha

No but signing a 23 year old gives you a few possibilities.

- they step up and turn into a good player. You keep or you sell for a profit.

- they are an average player. Squad player. They do a job nothing more nothing less. They pick up 70k a week and down the line you sell them for half your money.

Its risk v reward with younger players.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I do wonder if Willian like David Luiz will bring a lot of mentoring to our group of you g wingers and that's part of the reason

You see Luiz at the end of matches talking to players, wouldn't be surprised if he gives coaching/management a go.

Won't be a surprise if his pal is a similar character

He always struck me as a shy person, must be his voice. Even in our NT set up, Alves, Neymar, Thiago Silva are the more vocal leaders by far.

Doesn't give me the vibe of someone who wants to be a protagonist, but knows his worth to a team.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
I do wonder if Willian like David Luiz will bring a lot of mentoring to our group of you g wingers and that's part of the reason

You see Luiz at the end of matches talking to players, wouldn't be surprised if he gives coaching/management a go.

Yeah but you don't need that for 3 years.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yup, I've mentioned this before.

With Ronaldinho it was about just having fun and partying, he still loves playing football, he just checked out on being a peak-level athlete kinda early.

Ronaldo, Kaka, Zico had their bodies give up on them. Rivaldo had a lot to give but chose to go to Greece (iirc).

I will say though, that William seems to be an exception. Like David Luiz, he seems to be a model professional with a good family life/core of people.

Favourite example of this is Adriano. Didn’t he go off the rails in almost every way possible?

Absolute baller who was over the hill by about 25 :lol:

Also Robinho fell off hard as well, was also a big time partier apparently.

senna

It's not about his being over 30. It's about the decline in his performances which has already happened.

Overreaction here from ppl talking about a decline in performnaces - chelsea wanted to keep him & quite badly. They didnt try to keep pedro their other winger, who has actually declined. Same with Cech & Luiz, they didnt want them & we were desperate so we took them. Willian we just showed up & for once got the guy we wanted by not trying to cheapskate out for 2 years instead of 3 years.

like @truth_hurts said 120k a week isnt that much for a squad player these days. he's prem ready & we can move him aside in 2 years when we can afford to buy soemone better or nelson or someone from the youth has stepped up.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
The doubts are.

If he is going to start in what position? On the left. Which he doesnt play. In place of Pepe? As a number 10?

The doubts are about his personality and ambitions. He is leaving a club in the CL who are investing in top players to join a team searching for freebies. A team that finished 8th and has never looked as far away from top 4 in my lifetime. A team who is in a huge transition.

Hes leaving a club he has been a huge part of because he wont be giving something he doesnt even deserve. 2 years is a great deal.

And if he was told he has 2 years and is rotation risk hes doing what Cech did and say. Well if I cant get a game for Chelsea il go to Arsenal and play abit there for a few more quid.

No hunger. No desire. No ambition. Just in it for the money.

Complete conjecture and nothing based on fact. Cech actually won stuff here and Willian would want to as well.

I'd start him of the left and he operates well here. The reason he played right mostly is a certain Eden Hazard! Neymar also plays left for Brazil.

He could be taking an early retirement at Arsenal, OR maybe he's thinking 'I'll show those ****ers in West London what they're missing!'

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
It's not about his being over 30. It's about the decline in his performances which has already happened.
Strongly disagree, I think the major issue here is his age, length of his contract and wages. He is obviously still a very good player and as pointed out by many has been Chelseas best player this seaosn in the opnion of many.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡

The thing with some brazilian players is they come from extreme poverty, so they train from an early age like crazy and develop discipline to get to the top and stay there for as long as possible.

It's a mindset that they stay with well after they end their careers.
I mean, look at Ze Roberto's Instagram, for crying out loud. The guy has been ripped for ages and he's still at it.
https://www.instagram.com/zr11/

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

I have never heard or seen anything from any source or during matches that indicate Willian is vocal or a leader. Luiz was always vocal and you could see that during matches and heard it from other players.

Chelsea fans say when the chips are down he throws his hands up and doesnt want to know. When times are good hes great.

Kysus

No but signing a 23 year old gives you a few possibilities.

- they step up and turn into a good player. You keep or you sell for a profit.

- they are an average player. Squad player. They do a job nothing more nothing less. They pick up 70k a week and down the line you sell them for half your money.

Its risk v reward with younger players.

We have young players.
We need quality NOW without spending too much.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Complete conjecture and nothing based on fact. Cech actually won stuff here and Willian would want to as well.

I'd start him of the left and he operates well here. The reason he played right mostly is a certain Eden Hazard! Neymar also plays left for Brazil.

He could be taking an early retirement at Arsenal, OR maybe he's thinking 'I'll show those ****ers in West London what they're missing!'

Cech was brutal here. What did he win? Did he play in the final?

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Favourite example of this is Adriano. Didn’t he go off the rails in almost every way possible?

Absolute baller who was over the hill by about 25 :lol:

Also Robinho fell off hard as well, was also a big time partier apparently.

Robinho still had a protagonist role during Dunga's first stint as a manager in the Copa America.

Adriano... he has serious mental health issues. Depression, alcoholism, he gave his last drop to win Flamengo the league and then he just sort of wanted to walk around barefoot in the favela he grew up in, with his childhood friends (some of which are druglords, so... yeah).

Imagine not having enough food on the table and becoming a young millionaire overnight. If you don't have a good core of people around you, that care about you and your carreer you are going to falter.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Look at the end of the day you can't simultaneously think that Arteta knows what he's doing and he has the trust of the board to implement his vision and think that this is just a deal to grease the palms of Kia and Raul etc.

If you believe that Arteta has the trust and knows what he's doing then it follows that he thinks Willian will help the team on the pitch. It's not like Kia would just make a deal with Raul and then it'd get foisted on Arteta and he'd go along with it. He clearly wouldn't put up with bullsh*t like that.

So if you back the coach and the coach wants the player then there's not much to say about it.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I didn't like Cech's time here either. Pretty sure Ospina was unreservedly dropped for at least 1 final.

But you said Cech won something at Arsenal. What did he win? Did he play?

Il make it easier for you. He played no part in the 2017 FA cup final win.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Robinho still had a protagonist role during Dunga's first stint as a manager in the Copa America.

Adriano... he has serious mental health issues. Depression, alcoholism, he gave his last drop to win Flamengo the league and then he just sort of wanted to walk around barefoot in the favela he grew up with his childhood friends (some of which are druglords, so... yeah).

Imagine not having enough food on the table and becoming a young millionaire overnight. If you don't have a good core of people around you, that care about you and your carreer you are going to falter.

Still can’t believe what happened to Adriano, his career was almost done overnight.

Seeing him for Inter and Parma he looked like the next best striker in world football. Fast like R9 but such a unit as well.

Sad he couldn’t escape the life behind him, must be one of the biggest what ifs out there.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
But you said Cech won something at Arsenal. What did he win? Did he play?

Il make it easier for you. He played no part in the 2017 FA cup final win.

I'm baffled. So does that mean he didn't win the FA Cup? Somebody better tweet Saka, Mustafi et al and make them aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom