• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emiliano Martínez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Its quite simple, Martinez has earned the starting spot. He should start next season, if he drops in form and deserves to be dropped then Leno comes in.

This stops Emi leaving this summer and pushes each keeper to their max.

Unless we were to get a 30-40M offer for either of them it's pointless selling.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Two years left on his
Let Emi and Leno fight it out for a season. One will be the league and the other the cup keeper. At the end of the season, it will be clear who will be the #1.

Emi's contract runs out the season after next. If he doesn't sign a contract between now and then we could lose him for less than his market value, or even worse for free. What if we wait till next season and then decide to stick with Leno? We'll probably have to sell Emi for peanuts.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Two years left on his

Emi's contract runs out the season after next. If he doesn't sign a contract between now and then we could lose him for less than his market value, or even worse for free. What if we wait till next season and then decide to stick with Leno? We'll probably have to sell Emi for peanuts.

If an offer comes in for Emi, that's a decision for Edu and Raul. If we get a great offer for essentially our backup GK, I could see them cashing in on Emi.

Emi played great after Leno's injury, but Leno was still one of our best players all season. From a sporting perspective, the situation is pretty simple. You tell both keepers that Arsenal have two #1s, that one of you will be the league keeper and the other will be the cup keeper, and that based on the performances in preseason you will deter who will be the league or cup keeper.

If one of the GKs doesn't like that and wants to leave then the problem is solved.

However, I don't think it would make any sense to name Emi as our #1. He's done a great job, but so did Leno. Let them fight it out, and see who wins.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
If one of the GKs doesn't like that and wants to leave then the problem is solved.

However, I don't think it would make any sense to name Emi as our #1. He's done a great job, but so did Leno. Let them fight it out, and see who wins.

I definitely agree with you in theory. If the club was financially secure I'd say go for it, let them duke it out next season and the best/most consistent keeper can be our #1. Unfortunately for us lol we need to sell surplus players we have to fund incomings. I can't think of too many clubs that have two potential #1. keepers.

Waiting a whole season to decide who to sell could remove any potential leverage we have in a sale. Can we afford to lose out on 15-20 mil? the best sporting decision is to wait and see. The best financial decision is to sell one of them by january at latest.

senna

Absolutely love Martinez after his fa cup interview but if we need to move one on has to be him. Leno is the better keeper and havent seen Martinez do it in a pressure situation with an away hostile crowd. I would keep both, transfer market depress at the moment, so could always sell for as much next year provided he isnt out of contract.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I definitely agree with you in theory. If the club was financially secure I'd say go for it, let them duke it out next season and the best/most consistent keeper can be our #1. Unfortunately for us lol we need to sell surplus players we have to fund incomings. I can't think of too many clubs that have two potential #1. keepers.

Waiting a whole season to decide who to sell could remove any potential leverage we have in a sale. Can we afford to lose out on 15-20 mil? the best sporting decision is to wait and see. The best financial decision is to sell one of them by january at latest.

The best financial decision for us is to get back into the Champions League.

We have a lot of squad players that we will entertain offers for this summer, and if quality offers come in players will get sold. Torreira, AMN, Laca, Mustafi, Sokratis, Holding, Douzi, Kolasinac, and Bellerin could leave this summer if good bids come in. I think Emi is probably on that list.

I doubt that we're in a rush to sell Emi or Leno because GKs fetch the least amount of money. If there's one position that we should risk losing money on transfer a year from now it is GK.

Emi only played recently because Leno got hurt. GKs get hurt, and top teams need a quality backup. If we sell Emi our backup GK is Matt Macey. I wouldn't be confident making the top four or even the Europa League next season if we need Macey to play considerable minutes. That will cost us more money than the difference between selling Emi now or a year from now.

Also, Leno and Emi will want to be a part of their national teams in 2021. Leno will probably be Germany's third-string GK after Neuer and ter Stegen at the Euros, and even if Emi is our cup GK he has a very good chance at being Argentina's #1. That country has hardly any quality GKs.

Even if Emi is our backup, he still will probably be Argentina's #1 for the Copa America in 2021 that will be co-hosted by Argentina and Colombia. If they have a good tournament we'll be able to sell him for good money. If they win the tournament he'll be a hero, too.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Absolutely love Martinez after his fa cup interview but if we need to move one on has to be him. Leno is the better keeper and havent seen Martinez do it in a pressure situation with an away hostile crowd. I would keep both, transfer market depress at the moment, so could always sell for as much next year provided he isnt out of contract.
We've seen Martinez do it in the FA Cup final and semi-final, big games against teams who were expected to beat us.

Not being contrarian as I like Leno but not sure how many big games we can say that for him? Certainly not the Europa League final. It may not have been his fault as the team was floundering but the talk of the crowd is overdone. The pressure on a professional comes from wanting/needing to win.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Too difficult a decision to make. We need the transfer money now to improve the rest of the team, but our defence looks far more secure dealing with crosses with Martinez. I don't think we can move Leno on as easily and there is the question whether Martinez can sustain his form.

Kia has a difficult decision to make.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We should make a decision if and quick because we'll need to sign backup GK.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
One of them was going to leave and he is the likeliest one to go. I doubt Arteta is going to say to him he’s guaranteed no.1 and that’s probably enough for Martinez to make the decision for himself. He will probably get a fair few offers after his end to the season.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Another easy 20-30M and another with only two years left on his deal.

Crossroads for a lot of players this summer

It is reported Leno is having complications with his knee. Maybe it has turned out a worse injury than first expected. You definately dont sell Martinez now. Let them fight it out and see who's the best.

I'd rather wait a year and maybe have to sell one of them for a lower fee than go into this season with Leno not 100% and Matt Macey as back up than get an extra 5-10m.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
It is reported Leno is having complications with his knee. Maybe it has turned out a worse injury than first expected. You definately dont sell Martinez now. Let them fight it out and see who's the best.

I'd rather wait a year and maybe have to sell one of them for a lower fee than go into this season with Leno not 100% and Matt Macey as back up than get an extra 5-10m.
He already back to full training 2 weeks ago and look good in training don't think the reports are correct but if it's correct we can't take a risk and sell Emi

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
He already back to full training 2 weeks ago and look good in training don't think the reports are correct but if it's correct we can't take a risk and sell Emi

Yeah hopefully the reports are BS but a knee injury is tricky if not 100% healed. Either way. I would like to see them fight it out. If we make all the signings we want and need without having to sell one of them I'd rather do that and give next season a proper push.

If we sell Torreria, Guendouzi and maybe Laca we shouldnt need to sell a keeper. And if one wants to leave tough luck. They have a contract and need to respect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom