• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
A narrative both here and on the inter web is that prior to lockdown Arteta was happy with Özil, playing him all the time, so something else must have happened. Let’s ave a butchers:

Newcastle (4-0): Best game for ages, Özil of old
Olympiacos (1-0) : Özil missing personal reasons
Everton (3-2) : Excellent Özil performance
Olympiacos (1-2): Özil invisible
Portsmouth (2-0):Wholesale changes, not in squad
West Ham (1-0):Assist for winner but very poor performance

So. Just before lockdown Özil was not purring along like an expensive German automobile after a service from the mechanic Arteta. It was in fact the same old Özil. Occasionally brilliant, more often invisible.

The short-lived improvement observed after Arteta joined is what stock market traders call a “dead cat bounce”

akhil

The fact that we're considering Coutinho and James when we have this guy on the books. Neither of them are fit to lace his boots.

This has to be about the pay cut and I can imagine why people were pissed off about it. If the whole squad and coaching staff and execs were taking a pay cut and there was one hold out, the biggest earner at the whole football club by far. I'd be pissed as well if I was Arteta when he was the one selling it to the squad. He wasn't frozen out like Guendouzi, he's there in the training pics and videos with the rest of group.

He was a regular under Arteta before the shutdown. Weird hypothetical thing is, with Saliba and the Brazilian CB and Partey, it actually allows us the play a 4-2-3-1 with him as the 10 with a lot more insurance.

What hit did Alexis take? He’s getting paid off now from Utd, who are letting him leave without a transfer fee and he’s signing a new deal with inter worth over 100k a week. He’s getting money from everywhere.

Özil would leave if you paid him off, let’s him go elsewhere and sign a new deal and get money from there too.

Sanchez could have just well sat on that fat contract refusing to go on loan or sign for another club, then Man Utd would not be able to do anything to push him out legally. But Alexis doesn't have the PR game of Özil and ManUtd fans are not as tolerant as Arsenal, their fans would be already at his home with flares if it came out that he refused to leave for 2 years.
So Sanchez deserves credit for at least wanting to play football compared to Mesut.

Last edited:

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Zidane doesn’t like him and their relationship has completely broken down and this common knowledge :lol:

Bale had his move to China blocked

You’re trying it but it’s not working, Bale’s situation and Özil’s is so not the same. Özil can still get back in if he cares enough but he’s in Turkey. Bale it doesn’t matter what he does.

Im the first to point out media and unconscious bias but this is just simply not the case here.
Bale didn’t have his move blocked by Real, he decided to stay.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
What hit did Alexis take? He’s getting paid off now from Utd, who are letting him leave without a transfer fee and he’s signing a new deal with inter worth over 100k a week. He’s getting money from everywhere.

Özil would leave if you paid him off, let’s him go elsewhere and sign a new deal and get money from there too.
But he only took less than 20% of his contract pay off. We all know Özil won't do that

Listen, if Arsenal don’t want him, pay him off like Utd with Sánchez. Act like a big club ffs.

This will be much cheaper than Sánchez too as he’s on a much lesser wage and only has a year on his deal, Sanchez had two years left.

The player should agree to go on loan, club can't force him to do that. This is what Sanchez did and Özil didn't . His agent came out once and said something like "Going on loan would affect his brand".
Nobody is paying off Sanchez, they just agreed to split the wages. This happened since he went on loan and showed glimpses of form that Inter wanted to sign him.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Would you accept an optional paycut?

It’s selfless/altruistic whatever to accept a paycut but it doesn’t make you greedy to not accept one.
If I work in an organization and I was the highest earner and the organization was experiencing a bit of financial crisis and everyone took a voluntary paycut to help the company stay afloat, of course I would take a paycut especially as I'm worth $100m. If I don't, it makes a greedy fücker, yes

Özil without the ball is one of the worst players in the world. On the ball we know what he’s capable off but we’re not a team that dominates 70% possession in opponents half anymore. Özil off the ball doesn’t track back doesn’t look Interested doesn’t run. Can’t have that in this team he deserves to be frozen out

He's not that great in possession tbh, he needs loads of time and space. The successes he had in the past were mostly counter-attacking situations.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

A narrative both here and on the inter web is that prior to lockdown Arteta was happy with Özil, playing him all the time, so something else must have happened. Let’s ave a butchers:

So. Just before lockdown Özil was not purring along like an expensive German automobile after a service from the mechanic Arteta. It was in fact the same old Özil. Occasionally brilliant, more often invisible.

The short-lived improvement observed after Arteta joined is what stock market traders call a “dead cat bounce”
We all could do an up and down list like that for most Arsenal players though, like Pepe, Cellabos, Bellerin Lacazette etc

And in particular Mustafi and Luiz, one minute good, the next just throwing goals away.

And far from being allowed to return to Brazil, Luiz was given an extension.

. . client of Kia, mate of Edu and Raul.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
We’ve got city fans in here making accounts just to camp in the Özil thread and talk shît about him even just hours after their club had a massive CL win against Real Madrid lmao.

Reactions: A_G
I doubt World Champion Mesut Özil cares what some crappy journalists and posters on the internet say tbh.

Think he is mentally done now, like Bale...he's probably very happy with his career all in all.

Bale doesn't give a toss about his brand image though, Özil thrives on that. Bale played important role in 3 UCLs, won PFA player (a real award compared unlike German POTY), spent best of his career in a dominant team. On other hand Özil has had only 3 great seasons in his entire career, 2 of those when he was in his early 20s at Madrid. The majority of his career has been in mediocrity fighting for 4th place, an FA cup here and there.

If you actually think of it, only major trophy (not counting 1 LaLiga) he has won is the world cup in which he ghosted most games, no UCL, no premier league title etc. It's a myth and relentless marketing that Özil had a glorious career. Even in the Premier league he has not touched double digit assists in 7 seasons except one, averages 3 goals a season, all this for a guy who's only role is coasting near the box inactive for majority of the game playing final balls / taking set pieces.

Özil PR team and his fanboys are experts in creating terms like "Creator" "Özil vision" "Prime Özil" etc., when was the last time we heard someone say "Prime Henry" "Prime Bergkamp" etc. ? Maybe they were in their prime for most of their careers and nobody needed reminding. Ozilstans will tell you vague stats with convenient timelines like "Most assists in every competition till 2016 " "Only Messi has more assists than Özil from 2010-2017" , when you actually break down those stats you will see they count assists in meaningless international friendlies against teams like Estonia, Eibar etc.

I think if Wenger or Low didn't indulge in him and dropped him long back, we would have never come across this myth known as Mesut Özil, he would have been slogging in some mid-table Bundesliga team.

[PS: My cousin is a gooner and one of his biggest critics, we used to discuss this a lot]

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Bale doesn't give a toss about his brand image though, Özil thrives on that. Bale played important role in 3 UCLs, won PFA player (a real award compared unlike German POTY), spent best of his career in a dominant team. On other hand Özil has had only 3 great seasons in his entire career, 2 of those when he was in his early 20s at Madrid. The majority of his career has been in mediocrity fighting for 4th place, an FA cup here and there.

If you actually think of it, only major trophy (not counting 1 LaLiga) he has won is the world cup in which he ghosted most games, no UCL, no premier league title etc. It's a myth and relentless marketing that Özil had a glorious career. Even in the Premier league he has not touched double digit assists in 7 seasons except one, averages 3 goals a season, all this for a guy who's only role is coasting near the box inactive for majority of the game playing final balls / taking set pieces.

Özil PR team and his fanboys are experts in creating terms like "Creator" "Özil vision" "Prime Özil" etc., when was the last time we heard someone say "Prime Henry" "Prime Bergkamp" etc. ? Maybe they were in their prime for most of their careers and nobody needed reminding. Ozilstans will tell you vague stats with convenient timelines like "Most assists in every competition till 2016 " "Only Messi has more assists than Özil from 2010-2017" , when you actually break down those stats you will see they count assists in meaningless international friendlies against teams like Estonia, Eibar etc.

I think if Wenger or Low didn't indulge in him and dropped him long back, we would have never come across this myth known as Mesut Özil, he would have been slogging in some mid-table Bundesliga team.

[PS: My cousin is a gooner and one of his biggest critics, we used to discuss this a lot]

He was clearly a very good player, he does have his flaws, but I have enjoyed watching him for Arsenal.

At the end of the day...1 World Cup, 1 Spanish League, 3 FA Cups, 1 Spanish Cup and 1 German Cup...not an all time career, but one you can be proud of.

Last edited:

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Calm down you massive crybaby. Last time I checked he decided to stay in Spain on the request of his family according to Spanish media. Seems like you’re right if we go by the Chinese club Coach’s comments https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...transfer-news-gareth-bale-china-a9352256.html . My bad, I haven’t been up to date with Bale and his antics.

So Bale tried to force his way out of the club for no transfer fee so he could himself pocket a massive contract with 3 years left on his current contract and he doesn’t want to take a pay cut to play in Europe. He’s doing all this whilst continuously disrespecting Real Madrid and their fans on social media and whatever. Doesn’t sound like a guy who “genuinely” wants to play like you’re saying.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
If I work in an organization and I was the highest earner and the organization was experiencing a bit of financial crisis and everyone took a voluntary paycut to help the company stay afloat, of course I would take a paycut especially as I'm worth $100m. If I don't, it makes a greedy fücker, yes
If wishes were horses, you still wouldn't ride

kash2

Please reply to a post.. don't talk like a hater labeling football lovers as "you Özil fans".

kash2

Lol... Hatred has deranged you

kash2

You listed 6 games. He played in four, had great performances in 2 and the winning assist in the third.

Dunno what point you tried to prove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom