• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard

Yet again people call him average. He was world class at Real Madrid and if we would have surrounded him with quality specialy when Santi moved on things would have been different. Still a very good player.

GoonerJay24

Why was Özil so inconsistent even in his madrid/wenger’s days?

Özil was inconsistent for a reason. He is just like walcott. Their overall stats looks impressive, but they are **** if you actually watch their performance on the pitch. This inconsistency is a result of them being limited players.

The problem with them is that they detaches themselves from the build up phase. They just focus on the final assist/finish. Since they are not actively involved in the build up phase, we didn’t have numerical advantage and unable to create in the midfield. Kaka, Silva, kdb, iniesta, modric......they are all heavily involved in the build up phase to help maintain possession and create space in the midfield. Özil would make a simple pass and burst up to the final third, leaving his teammates Cazorla and others to build up.

If our other players are extremely capable/lucky enough to get through the build up phase with numerical disadvantage, then there will be the use of Özil/walcott in the final third (these are matches that they will look good and up their stats). But if not, they will look invisible for the whole match, because we can’t keep possession and unable to progress the ball up, this is why many of you think they are inconsistent.

What actually happened is, their lack of involvement in the build up, would hurt our team from progressing the ball up the pitch. Which limited their chance to shine in the final third. So at the end it’s their own fault for their inconsistency.

That's because we usually played 4231 not 433, it's different approach to building up

Bergkamp rarely got involved in build up neither

GoonerJay24

Why the Özil now is the same Özil as 5 years ago, but he is so useless in the current football world?

Because modern tactics has drastically changed, especially in the past 10 years. Despite possessing the same ability, his weaknesses are being magnified more and more as tactics developed over the years. As a result, he is more and more useless as a player, despite having the same padding and first touch ability.

In this tactically detail orientated era, Özil is a huge tactical liability. He can only operates well in one phase of the game (in the final third). And if our team are struggling to get into the final third, he won’t contribute to help our team progressing into this phase. His problem is far from just defending.

These weaknesses of Özil was always there. Even if todays Özil is the same Özil 5 years ago, he will still be out of Arteta’s plan.

Since tactics has started to become more and more complex in the early 2010, there will only be one fate of these kind of players.

(I'm not talking about other #10. Most of them have the dribbling ability and they always helping the team in general play, which makes them still very useful players in todays game. I'm talking about players who focus on just one phase of the game, failing to contribute in other phases.)

Some articles portraits Özil as a victim of traditional #10 in modern football. His fans like to make excuses for him: “It’s the player type that is not suitable anymore in modern football. It’s not Özil to be blamed.”

But this is just not true.

Özil is very different to most #10. Most #10 are not just final third players, they can dribble in tight space for fun, and they involved heavily in the general play. Özil is so unique/limited that he only has himself to blame for not making it in modern football.

Tactics don't matter anywhere near as much as people like to make out, it ultimately comes down to technical skills, game understanding and player confidence

scytheavatar

Established Member
Why the Özil now is the same Özil as 5 years ago, but he is so useless in the current football world?

Why is that only Özil always being criticised for not defending, when most #10 in the world are not good at defending too?

You answered your own question, there are good reasons why clubs around the world have all moved away from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3. There's simply no place in modern football for a classic number 10 like Özil. You can see the same thing in guys like Mata and Coutinho, it's not that they have gotten bad. It's that they have failed to adapt to the demands of modern day football. A #10 that can't press is a liability as pressing needs to be done as an entire team.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Because Unai, genius will prevail... When you were fighting for your life, you had to bring him back front and centre... Too bad you let your doozi obsession ruin any chances of things improving
I made a joke out of guendouzi hairstyle, but somehow your clever brain didn’t get it. Sorry for making you look embarrassed in front of everyone here.

And because I also praised Arteta, you get triggered by that?

The way you hate Arteta, and how you triggered by me making fun out of guendouzi further proves that you are an emery fangirl.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Some posts in the Özil thread in redcafe...

If they bring in William on a three year deal like it's being reported, will they try to sell Özil ?
If Özil stays, what will happen to his career ?

They won't get a penny for Özil, they'll have to pay him off to take a free transfer.

Özil’s career at Arsenal is over irrespective of whether they sign Willian.

Maybe, maybe not. Arteta knows his quality, having played with him. Maybe they can talk and change the situation.

Weird career. Talent wise he is in the upper tier and his numbers from the 10 position are usually top notch but he never quite dominated like he should have. Always seemed to lack the stamina or bite to really apply his ability in the big games. Kind of reminds me of Fabregas, exceptional player with incredible ability but never really hit the level they should have despite having good careers. The anti Iniesta if you will, lots of output but never cementing themselves as that top tier player.

Can they do with Özil what we did with Sanchez? We had a plan, loaned him to a club that operates like it's in Football Manager game. Arsenal just left Özil on the bench eating up wages. Maybe Robbie can recruit him for AFTV?

He clearly has no future there, but can’t afford to get rid of him/ no one wants him

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
We can't do anything other than let him eat up wages, Mes doesn't want to go anywhere until his contract is up and he has to then, we can't loan out someone who doesn't want to leave.

Last edited:

musoke

No one is sympathetic to Bale. At least I know I'm not.
This discourse is about Özil. Bale can do one for all i care.
It’s called deflecting. They throw Red Herrings.
Oh oh look over there instead of focusing on our world class / best No10 in the world.

lol

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
I made a joke out of guendouzi hairstyle, but somehow your clever brain didn’t get it. Sorry for making you look embarrassed in front of everyone here.

And because I also praised Arteta, you get triggered by that?

The way you hate Arteta, and how you triggered by me making fun out of guendouzi further proves that you are an emery fangirl.

You ain't fooling us Unai with this act. And what makes u think girl is an insult?

hate Arteta... No way..

..I hate what you did to Arsenal. Don't deflect. Take doozi with you and never come back.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
You ain't fooling us Unai with this act. And what makes u think girl is an insult?

hate Arteta... No way..

..I hate what you did to Arsenal. Don't deflect. Take doozi with you and never come back.
Explain what I did to Arsenal.

I made a joke on guendouzi but you didn't get it. It doesn't mean I like guendouzi. I could make a joke on gervinho’s forehead. Doesn't mean I rate gervinho. Do you get the logic?

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Top 3 Arsenal players ever in the assists lists, interesting considering he was not involved with that terrorist Emery and not involved now.
Our team need to accommodate him for his flaws in the defensive phase and in the build up phase. He is only good in the final third.

He is a final third/off the ball player, who never help us to defend/press/create overload/dominate possession/create play in the midfield. Which it will hurt our chance to progress the ball into the final third.

That's why our team overall stats was so poor. Özil is non-existent in other phases of the game. We should never rely on players as limited and as inconsistent as him.

kash2

Our team need to accommodate him for his flaws in the defensive phase and in the build up phase. He is only good in the final third.

He is a final third/off the ball player, who never help us to defend/press/create overload/dominate possession/create play in the midfield. Which it will hurt our chance to progress the ball into the final third.

That's why our team overall stats was so poor. Özil is non-existent in other phases of the game. We should never rely on players as limited and as inconsistent as him.
Unai hates Özil because Özil told him "wallah you are not a coach" and it turned out to be the truest thing ever said.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Unai hates Özil because Özil told him "wallah you are not a coach" and it turned out to be the truest thing ever said.
Agree with you on this. Tactically, Emery was never a top manager, some of the instructions he gave to the players was unclear, and the way he uses certain tactics/players are very questionable.

You don’t automatically assume anyone who question Özil’s ability is a fan of emery. I don’t really care if Özil doesn’t like emery or if emery doesn’t like Özil. Not a fan of both.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
You answered your own question, there are good reasons why clubs around the world have all moved away from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3. There's simply no place in modern football for a classic number 10 like Özil. You can see the same thing in guys like Mata and Coutinho, it's not that they have gotten bad. It's that they have failed to adapt to the demands of modern day football. A #10 that can't press is a liability as pressing needs to be done as an entire team.
There are mainly 3 phases in a game. 1) defending, 2) build up, and 3) final third (some would have divided them into more), and transition in between.

Most #10s would be below average at 1) defending, heavily involved in 2) build up and great at 3) the final phase. That’s why they are still performing. They are not non-existent in other phases of the game.

Özil is far below average at defending 1), he never likes to involve in 2) the build up phase, but he is amazing in 3) the final third. That’s why he will never adapt because he is only good at one phase of the game. He is never a player to help us on defending/pressing/dominating possession/creating play in the midfield.

How we traditionally see/named a formation, it’s not that important now, because we have field occupation. In today’s football, 442/433/4231, they are just formations in the defensive phase. They are there to match up the opponent’s attacking numbers.

And they are subject to change in any moment of the game, if the opponent plays a 442 with an offensive RW who likes to cut inside, and a LW that likes to stay behind and tuck inside. They will look more like a 433. This is because players are not static on the pitch. Formation will look different when players start moving around.

So here comes to my point, field occupation. Most teams like to occupy the pitch like a 235/325 when they are in the final third, regardless of their starting formation. They can achieve this through different ways of movements, and can be achieved from different starting formations.

So Özil can be placed anywhere on the pitch in the starting formation, as long as he is instructed to arrive into the the final phase, occupying the half space. But of course you need to consider 1) which starting position is more efficient to achieve the ending field occupation, 2) the player’s qualities and defensive ability (whether they suits to play in that position when defending).

You can start with a defensive formation of 442/433/4231 and end up with the same 235/325 around the opponent box. So the starting formation is less relevant in the attacking sense. Coming back to your point, why would team move from 4231 to 433? To me, it’s more of a defending/pressing consideration.

Taking KDB as an example. In the defensive phase, he is a CM. But in attack, he joins the 5 in the 235, occupying the half space. He can become an advanced playmaker or second striker depending on the opponent’s position/movement.

Most other #10s can play as a Winger/CM/F9 in the starting formation, and arrive to the same half space area to join the attacking 5. So whether they start at the traditional #10 position in the starting formation is not that important. The change in the starting position only means that they have slightly different defensive duties to complete, they still do the same thing when they are attacking in the final third.

Why could most #10s adapt but Özil couldn’t? I have explained this in paragraph 2 and 3. It’s not much about the position. It’s about the importance of being good in other phases of the game.

You can listen to an interview of KDB. On how he thinks players’ position are not viewed in the traditional sense anymore:

00:15-00:42
“I think these days with the way football is played, it’s more about covering spaces than just the position. So it just depends on what other teams are doing to be honest.”

Last edited:

kash2

There are mainly 3 phases in a game. 1) defending, 2) build up, and 3) final third (some would have divided them into more), and transition in between.

Most #10s would be below average at 1) defending, heavily involved in 2) build up and great at 3) the final phase. That’s why they are still performing. They are not non-existent in other phases of the game.

Özil is far below average at defending 1), he never likes to involve in 2) the build up phase, but he is amazing in 3) the final third. That’s why he will never adapt because he is only good at one phase of the game. He is never a player to help us dominating possession/creating play in the midfield.

How we traditionally see/named a formation, it’s not that important now, because we have field occupation. In today’s football, 442/433/4231, they are just formation in the defensive phase. They are there to match up the opponent’s attacking numbers.

And they are subject to change in any moment of the game, if the opponent plays a 442 with an offensive RW who likes to cut inside, and a LW that likes to stay behind and tuck inside. They will look more like a 433. This is because players are not static on the pitch.

So here comes to my point, field occupation. Most teams like to occupy the pitch like a 235/325 when they are in the final third, regardless of their starting formation. They can achieve this through different ways of movements, and can be achieved from different starting formation.

So Özil can be placed anywhere on the pitch in the starting formation, as long as he is instructed to arrive into the the final phase, occupying the half space. But of course you need to consider 1) which starting position is more efficient to achieve the ending field occupation, 2) the player’s qualities and defensive ability (whether they suits to play in that position when defending).

You can start with a defensive formation of 442/433/4231 and end up with the same 235/325 around the opponent box. So the starting formation is less relevant in the attacking sense. Coming back to your point, why would team move from 4231 to 433? To me, it’s more of a defending/pressing consideration.

Taking KDB as an example. In the defensive phase, he is a CM. But in attack, he joins the 5 in the 235, occupying the half space. He can become an advanced playmaker or second striker depending on the opponent’s position/movement.

Most other #10s can play as a Winger/CM/F9 in the starting formation, and arrive to the same half space area to join the attacking 5. So whether they start at the traditional #10 position in the starting formation is not that important. The change in starting position only means that they have slightly different defensive duties to complete, they still do the same thing when attacking in the final third.

Why could most #10s adapt but Özil couldn’t? I have explained this in paragraph 2 and 3. It’s not much about the position. It’s about the importance of being good in other phases of the game.

You can listen to an interview of KDB. On how he thinks players’ position are not viewed in the traditional sense anymore:

00:15-00:42
“I think these days with the way football is played, it’s more about covering spaces than just the position. So it just depends on what other teams are doing to be honest.”

Wallah! more yards and yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom