• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Like when he won us the FA Cup after 9 years? Would've won the Europa too if not for Emery asking him to man mark some Chelski cnut.
Typical Özil fan crediting our win to Özil but blaming our loss on others :lol:

He already won the World Cup and 5 POTY awards by then, so there.

Casc is 33 now. He left Arsenal at what? 25? Basically semi-reitred.
I assume you mean the German POTY awards? An award that was voted by fans online. Of course he's going to win it. He has by far the highest number of fans of all German players.
Cesc was still a top player at 25. He went to Barca and did well, he had more goal+assist than everyone there bar Messi.
He had 92 G/A in 151 appearances. He was still one of the productive player in Europe at that point. Of course an Özil fan would knock Cesc down just to elevate Özil :lol:

He still doesn't ride the bench. He mostly either starts or doesn't play.

In fact, I would have liked to see him make the bench more after the restart.
He didn't start any game since the PL restart. Infact he'd rather be here on the bench earning his obscene wage rather than go out and play Football. Sums him up.

We don't need that attitude growing and spreading like fungus. Especially to the young ones. He's a bad influence

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Typical Özil fan crediting our win to Özil but blaming our loss on others :lol:

I assume you mean the German POTY awards? An award that was voted by fans online. Of course he's going to win it. He has by far the highest number of fans of all German players.
:facepalm: So, you trivialize the awards he won and his contributions to our trophies, and want me to be the same ungrateful miserable fcuk.

Cesc was still a top player at 25. He went to Barca and did well, he had more goal+assist than everyone there bar Messi.
:confused:
2020%2f3%2fCescOzil.jpg

He didn't start any game since the PL restart. Infact he'd rather be here on the bench earning his obscene wage rather than go out and play Football. Sums him up.

We don't need that attitude growing and spreading like fungus. Especially to the young ones. He's a bad influence
something that we can agree on. Definitely something wrong with him right now.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
:facepalm: So, you trivialize the awards he won and his contributions to our trophies, and want me to be the same ungrateful miserable fcuk.

2020%2f3%2fCescOzil.jpg

You do realised Fabregas played in a much deeper role, but still, achieving that final third stats? Fabregas involves heavily in their build up. Open up space in the midfield. Playing combination passes and make the team tick.

And you know Özil is always invisible in a match, but only suddenly appear to play a final third pass. His non-existent in the defensive phase and the build up phase hurts our team from dominating possession. Reducing our team stats by a lot.

No one care about Özil’s individual stats. He can be invisible for 90 mins helping the team for nothing and then making an assist. That will be counted as a stats.

He is being criticised for not helping the team. You can have someone like Cazorla/Fabregas in the team, even if they score zero goals/make zero assist. They will still be better players because they make their team plays better. They help their team to build up and progress the ball up the pitch.

In attacking, Özil is a tactical liability and hurt the team in the build up phase, which reduced our chances bringing the ball to the final third. In defending, he doesn’t help with pressing, if another midfielder cover his press, we will leave space for the opponent.

Unlike most # 10, he rarely helps the team in general play, that hurts our team stats, as we would create less chances for the forward if we always failed to get the team arriving to the final third because of him not contributing.
This is the reason why many of us criticise Özil for not making our team better.

If our team is not controlling the match, sub-in Özil will not help, as he won’t make our midfield function better. He wouldn’t be the extra man that provide passing options, create spaces, dribble past players that will let our midfield to take more control. Sub-in Cazorla would help, our midfield will link up better, have more possession, create gaps in opponent shape, which will create more chances for the attacking players eventually.

Özil might get better individual stats as he only operates in final third. But what is the point if he is not helping the team to boost the team stats? (his absence in general play lead to our other attackers having less chances, because we couldn’t create in the midfield area)

Last edited:

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

2020%2f3%2fCescOzil.jpg

Cesc played as a DLP in 15/16 and got almost the same stats as Özil who basically spent 95 percent of his time in the final third.

Talk about shifting the goalposts :lol:
You said Cesc was done by 25. I debunked that and you then run and being out the 2016 stats when you know that Cesc played that season as a part of double pivot next to matic and put out out world class stats. Infact Cesc spent most of his his time in Chelsea in a double pivot.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You do realised Fabregas played in a much deeper role and achieve that final third stats? Fabregas involves heavily in their build up. Open up space in the midfield. Playing combination passes and make the team tick.

And you know Özil is always invisible in a match, but only suddenly appear to play a final third pass. His non-existent in the defensive phase and the build up phase hurts our team from dominating possession. Reducing our team stats by a lot.

No one care about Özil’s individual stats. He can be invisible for 90 mins helping the team for nothing and then making an assist. That will be counted as a stats.

He is being criticised for not helping the team. You can have someone like Cazorla/Fabregas in the team, even if they score zero goals/make zero assist. They will still be better players because they make their team plays better. They help their team to build up and progress the ball up the pitch.

In attacking, Özil is a tactical liability and hurt the team in the build up phase, which reduced our chances bringing the ball to the final third. In defending, he doesn’t help with pressing, if another midfielder cover his press, we will leave space for the opponent.

Unlike most # 10, he rarely helps the team in general play, that hurts our team stats, as we would create less chances for the forward if we always failed to get the team arriving to the final third because of him not contributing.
This is the reason why many of us criticise Özil for not making our team better.

Özil might get better individual stats as he only operates in final third. But what is the point if he is not helping the team to boost the team stats? (his absence in general play lead to our other attackers having less chances, because we couldn’t create in the midfield area)
he was doing his bit, if you ask me. an AM is supposed to create chances. If the CDMs are giving the ball away, don't go bleating about the attackers.

Nobody was criticising Özil when we were playing good football. He was criticsed in the final Wenger years when we had a shambolic run of results (which he was partly responsible for). After Emery came, Özil suddenly was public enemy number 1 at AFC and our whole results/transfers/attitude depended upon getting him out of the club.

Which #10 are good at tackling? Santi? Silva? Rui Costa? Ramsey? Nasri? Hazard? Zidane? Maradona?

Arteta was good at tackling, and he was moved from AM to CDM.

I understand why subbing him in will not help. Does it help if our team is losing and he is at home playing Fortnite?

Cesc played as a DLP in 15/16 and got almost the same stats as Özil who basically spent 95 percent of his time in the final third.

Talk about shifting the goalposts :lol:
You said Cesc was done by 25. I debunked that and you then run and being out the 2016 stats when you know that Cesc played that season as a part of double pivot next to matic and put out out world class stats. Infact Cesc spent most of his his time in Chelsea in a double pivot.
I din't say Cesc was done. I implied he had achieved everything and the hunger died. He had already played 10 years top-flight by 26 and you can imagine if he was not as interested to influence games as he was before. Cesc was not a first XI at barca and he didnt mind.

Lets see..DLP, you say...Song had 11 assists in 2011 in Arsenal. Cesc had 9 in Barcelona. So by your own 'goalposts', Song > Cesc!

C'mon, let see you try harder.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

There's been a Cesc shaped hole ever since he left - the Cesc and Özil comparison is pointless, Cesc's stint in the team was an era. Half of us can't wait for Özil for leave, never the case with Fabregas he would walk into the team today if he left Monaco.

He was just so vital to our build up and overall play. Özil is just a final ball merchant, wants no part in constructing our attack just wanted the final pass. Chalk and Cheese there man.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
he was doing his bit, if you ask me. an AM is supposed to create chances. If the CDMs are giving the ball away, don't go bleating about the attackers.

Nobody was criticising Özil when we were playing good football. He was criticsed in the final Wenger years when we had a shambolic run of results (which he was partly responsible for). After Emery came, Özil suddenly was public enemy number 1 at AFC and our whole results/transfers/attitude depended upon getting him out of the club.

Which #10 are good at tackling? Santi? Silva? Rui Costa? Ramsey? Nasri? Hazard? Zidane? Maradona?

Arteta was good at tackling, and he was moved from AM to CDM.

I understand why subbing him in will not help. Does it help if our team is losing and he is at home playing Fortnite?

I didn’t say Cesc was done. I implied he had achieved everything and the hunger died. He had already played 10 years top-flight by 26 and you can imagine if he was not as interested to influence games as he was before. Cesc was not a first XI at barca and he didnt mind.

Lets see..DLP, you say...Song had 11 assists in 2011 in Arsenal. Cesc had 9 in Barcelona. So by your own 'goalposts', Song > Cesc!

1. When did I blame the AM when the DM lost the ball?

2. An AM is to 1) create chances in the final third (I agree), 2) but also, most importantly, to get heavily involved in the team general play to create space in midfield/dominate possession, 3) and if better, a very small bits of defending. 1)+2) is a must. We can’t have 1) and then nothing. The modern game has different phases of play. Most number 10s are amazing in both final third and in build up, not extremely limited to just final third. That would not help the team.

3. When did he played good football? He does absolutely nothing for 89 minutes and then suddenly switch on to make an assist in the final third. He doesn’t even have 1/10 of the technical level of iniesta or KDB, they dribble past players for fun, or able to play beautiful pass in the midfield to create play in the build up.

Last edited:

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

I din't say Cesc was done. I implied he had achieved everything and the hunger died. He had already played 10 years top-flight by 26 and you can imagine if he was not as interested to influence games as he was before. Cesc was not a first XI at barca and he didnt mind.
So in essence what you're trying to say is that it was ok that Özil took it easy because he was playing top flight Football for over 10 years? That's the kind of mentality I don't want at Arsenal. You'd think that after arsenal rewarded him with a fat contract, he'll have repaid it by pushing himself harder consistently put in top performance. But instead he basically retired. Cesc played 151 games in 3 years there. That's basically 51 games every season. He didn't hold down a position in XI but he was always included in the starting XI and pushed around in different position. But he always performed in any position he played in. He was the second most productive player in Barca behind Messi during his time there.

Well, Song was impressive that season. But Fabregas was still better. Cesc had 35 goal contribution that season compared to Song who had 14 goal contribution. He went forward and left our midfield exposed and teams were able to cut through us easily. And he had RVP who could aim through balls to.
By the way, Cesc had 10 league assists that season not 9 like you claim.

Still don't know why you dragged Cesc into this debate. Any Arsenal fan with an ounce of brain knew Cesc had the better Arsenal career and better career overall

Last edited:

GoonerJay24

You do realised Fabregas played in a much deeper role, but still, achieving that final third stats? Fabregas involves heavily in their build up. Open up space in the midfield. Playing combination passes and make the team tick.

If our team is not controlling the match, sub-in Özil will not help, as he won’t make our midfield function better. He wouldn’t be the extra man that provide passing options, create spaces, dribble past players that will let our midfield to take more control. Sub-in Cazorla would help, our midfield will link up better, have more possession, create gaps in opponent shape, which will create more chances for the attacking players eventually.

That's why you need midfielders capable of bringing Özil into play

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

That's why you need midfielders capable of bringing Özil into play
:lol:

So you're saying we should build the team around Özil? he's not good enough for that. The club is going to upgrade on him and rightly so. Not buying more player to 'bringing him him into play'. He was largely inconsistent when Cazorla was here too. Özil fans were bashing Giroud saying he was the reason Özil couldn't explode. We signed Auba and Laca, it's still the same story. We signed Pepe, yet Özil is still a non-entity.

We can't keep bending over backwards. Arteta has realized that's why one of our top targets this summer is an AM.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Still don't know why you dragged Cesc into this debate. Any Arsenal fan with an ounce of brain knew Cesc had the better Arsenal career and better career overall
errr...how many trophies? An FA cup i think. Cool.

I didn't 'drag Cesc into it'. I mentioned his age, for Goodness's sake.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

errr...how many trophies? An FA cup i think. Cool.

I didn't 'drag Cesc into it'. I mentioned his age, for Goodness's sake.
In terms of overall impact, yeah, he was better than Özil for Arsenal. Plus he won a league title with us though. Yeah his contribution was minimal at best, but so was Özil's contribution to our FA cup

GoonerJay24

:lol:

So you're saying we should build the team around Özil? he's not good enough for that. The club is going to upgrade on him and rightly so. Not buying more player to 'bringing him him into play'. He was largely inconsistent when Cazorla was here too. Özil fans were bashing Giroud saying he was the reason Özil couldn't explode. We signed Auba and Laca, it's still the same story. We signed Pepe, yet Özil is still a non-entity.

We can't keep bending over backwards. Arteta has realized that's why one of our top targets this summer is an AM.

No not anymore, was just referring to the style of player he is requires midfielders from deep that can quickly and efficiently pass into the final third players

GoonerJay24

Most other 10s brings the team into play, that’s one of a 10s primary job.
If Özil needs others to do that for him he is very limited, and is a tactical liability.
We need numerical advantage and involvement in the build up to dominate in midfield.

Not necessarily true; many 10s play in the final third waiting to receive from their midfield partners

Not every team builds out from the back also, so depends on the playing style

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

No not anymore, was just referring to the style of player he is requires midfielders from deep that can quickly and efficiently pass into the final third players
No manager is going to leave a midfielder in final third and instruct the CM to bring the ball to him. That's just mental. Because wenger did it with him doesn't mean it was tactically astute. Attacking midfielders are now required to drop deep and involve more in build up play. Not just waiting in the final third ffs. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom