• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
The Özil fanboys are reaching... You couldn’t make this lot up if you tried.

I have never seen so much nonsense written in the defense of a player who contributes absolutely nothing to our club. It’s like they are Özil fanboys first and Arsenal fans second. Really misguided lot if you ask me.
100% this. They became makeshift Arsenal fans because we signed him. Otherwise they couldn't give a toss about us

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
And Hazard started off as just a flashy winger. But at chelsea he added goals to his game. Started to dominate across that front line instead of just being stuck on the wing. He became a more involved attacker. During Mourinho’s time he even started tracking back and putting a foot in.

Isn’t it?
He was given more freedom as he progressed. Conte got the best out of him, because he was a much better player by then.

Mourinho had nothing to do with it. It was a normal (for him) career progression.

Did you know that Modric has played as a CM, Defensive midfielder, Deep lying midfielder and an Attacking midfielder? Did you know that Modric started off as an attacking midfielder? That is where he played in early Sp**s years. Then later was moved back into CM like Santi was.

And this is the guy that most managers (Including wenger) and pundits in the EPL were writing off as too small and weak to make it in the EPL. Remember in 2008? I remember even wenger said that Modric was a bit too slight and it could be a gamble to spend £15 million on him blah blah..

But the little guy came in, worked his ass off to strengthen his physique. Was played all over the midfield at Sp**s, i even remember in some games he would start as a right sided midfielder or something like that. But he never moaned like our resident princess (Özil).

At Madrid you will see Modric turn into a Box to box midfielder on occasions. He runs from his CM position into the opposition box in some games.

Santi has played as a wide midfielder/ winger, Attacking midfielder and as a CM etc..

But your cult hero cries foul for just being played outwide in a midfield 3 once in a while. His fan crowd go into meltdown if he is just asked to get more involved in Midfield instead of always acting like a lady in waiting (Standing in the opposition half waiting for his teammates to fight for and deliver the ball to him on a plate).

Your cult hero is so infuriating and frustrating for some of us. The guy was meant to be our go to star. But how you lot turned all that upside down by constantly insinuating that it’s him that has to rely on his teammates when the going gets tough. Smh

I bet you the likes of Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Cesc, RVP would have felt so embarrassed if these kinds of cringeworthy Özil excuses were made for them.
Modric is a well rounded CM, but he doesnt have any numbers to be able to play AM for Madrid, which is why they shunted him into CDM.

Özil has better goal numbers than your world class, shot happy, tracking back, jack-of-all-trades Modric. Özil probably played more positions for Germany than Modric. He was top scorer for Germany during the WC qualifiers which they won.

You probably remember Modric playing for Croatia because he is much more integral to Croatia's attacking game than Madrid.

Santi brings the same revisionism that Wilshere and Ramsey bring. They were great players no doubt, but they had spells when they used to frustrate the hell out of everyone.

Wilshere especially used to make me crazy. Go back into his thread and see how many fights AM had about his best position.

Difference is that they fcuked off to other clubs in easier leagues so you pine for them, and compare them to someone who is still at the club.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Makes me sad though, as football is moving away from players like Özil...it relies so much on physicality now.

Watched KdB against Madrid, and he was unreal for some time Actually thought at one point that some angel was controlling him because he was unstoppable. But he is all muscle and running. There is little nuance to his game.

If you had someone like Riquelme playing now, he'd have been sent to prison for taking so much time on the ball.

moloso

Makes me sad though, as football is moving away from players like Özil...it relies so much on physicality now.

Watched KdB against Madrid, and he was unreal for some time Actually thought at one point that some angel was controlling him because he was unstoppable. But he is all muscle and running. There is little nuance to his game.

If you had someone like Riquelme playing now, he'd have been sent to prison for taking so much time on the ball.

Sorry but what? No nuance in KDB's game? Was Henry just fast? Vieira just tall and strong?

"Running and muscle" - FFS. If Özil had the same mentality and hunger he could have been putting in similar performances regardless of his own physical limitations.

I really can't believe that after what's happened the past few seasons people still want to run down actual world class players or blame the vague state of the game or the club as to why this guy doesn't give a **** any more. Someone on here arguing that he scores more than Modric. ****ing wicked.

I'm done with this thread and the player until he plays again (lol), or he leaves. I was ecstatic when we signed him but he's underwhelmed and disappointed massively. After 7 years, the best thing I could say about him is that he is probably the best player I've seen at picking someone out from cutbacks. Good player but if he had anything about him he would have put in some performances for one of our last 4 managers and someone would actually want to buy him - or even pay his wages...

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Sorry but what? No nuance in KDB's game? Was Henry just fast? Vieira just tall and strong?

I really can't believe that after what's happened the past few seasons people still want to run down actual world class players or blame the vague state of the game or the club as to why this guy doesn't give a **** any more. Someone on here arguing that he scores more than Modric. ****ing wicked.
Wierd speaking about Modric, no? I didn't even take Modric's name, some other idiot mentioned him.

Perhaps if you stopped being pseudo-offended and showed me where KdB actually did some good skills recently?

I can actually tell you that he did show some good plays towards the end of the half v/s Madrid, but that was it for the whole match.

This is from ESPN, pretty much proves what I said:

De Bruyne dribbles in a very different manner. Whereas Hazard always has the ball under close control, De Bruyne thinks about his opponent as much as the ball -- he knocks the ball into the position he wants to move, and then uses his sizable frame to put his body in the way, muscling his way in front of the defender.

Henry actually beat players, but he was fast, yes. Vieira was not just tall and strong, it was a big part of his game.

Who is dropping names now, Mr. Offended?

moloso

Wierd speaking about Modric, no? I didn't even take Modric's name, some other idiot mentioned him.

Perhaps if you stopped being pseudo-offended and showed me where KdB actually did some good skills recently?

I can actually tell you that he did show some good plays towards the end of the half v/s Madrid, but that was it for the whole match.

This is from ESPN, pretty much proves what I said:

De Bruyne dribbles in a very different manner. Whereas Hazard always has the ball under close control, De Bruyne thinks about his opponent as much as the ball -- he knocks the ball into the position he wants to move, and then uses his sizable frame to put his body in the way, muscling his way in front of the defender.

Henry actually beat players, but he was fast, yes. Vieira was not just tall and strong, it was a big part of his game.

Who is dropping names now, Mr. Offended?

So a random quote on how he's not as good at dribbling as Hazard means he's not got ability? And to use your word, how is that not a description of a "nuanced" game - the quote says he literally dribbles in relation to where the defenders body is and reacts accordingly. That's pretty much the definition.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find some De Bruyne highlights without my help or do you seriously think he doesn't have skill or ability other than his physicality?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That’s a good one. Almost as good as when someone called him a cross merchant or something.

I will not have you marks put down a genuinely unique and brilliant player to prop up the corpse of Özil enough is enough.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So a random quote on how he's not as good at dribbling as Hazard means he's not got ability? And to use your word, how is that not a description of a "nuanced" game - the quote says he literally dribbles in relation to where the defenders body is and reacts accordingly. That's pretty much the definition.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find some De Bruyne highlights without my help or do you seriously think he doesn't have skill or ability other than his physicality?
It's a whole article, dude. Quoted just a part of it. It's written by Michael Cox who knows a thing or two about football.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...yne-dazzling-finesse-against-dominating-power

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That’s a good one. Almost as good as when someone called him a cross merchant or something.

I will not have you marks put down a genuinely unique and brilliant player to prop up the corpse of Özil enough is enough.
Not putting him above Özil. not anything bad about KdB. Not going into that debate.

Personally just don't like him except his numbers. Give me Bernando Silva and Mahrez any day over KdB.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Arguing with Özil fanboys about Özil is probably like arguing about climate change with Trump. Like him they don’t want to see what is in front of their noses. They have their absurd views and they keep reaching for one poor argument after another to prove their points. If one goes up this thread the amount of BS written is unreal.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

This thread does have a lot of bs. I have never known another player who has been offered as many excuses or wild explanations as to why they are so sh*t in my entire lifetime.
I’m honestly trying to think, I can’t come up with another player. Özil definitely has a unique cult status with Arsenal for sure.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

This thread does have a lot of bs. I have never known another player who has been offered as many excuses or wild explanations as to why they are so sh*t in my entire lifetime.
I’m honestly trying to think, I can’t come up with another player. Özil definitely has a unique cult status with Arsenal for sure.
It is really odd, especially as the player in question is clearly hurting the club this is supposed to be a fan forum of. Guess somehow at times even reasonable people can be led astray by their own arguing and perceptions. It is odd though. Must say the defense of Özil has morphed into something especially strange.

I still like this thread though! It is always good for some laughs! I personally will miss it once he is gone.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
This video is titled “This is why Mesut Özil is world class”. Now, which moment in the video is actually world class? A lot of the stuff he does was just average:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I can't resist this. Can you post a KdB video of him regularly beating defenders, and I'll post one with the other players I mentioned.

If he is such a brilliant dribbler, I am sure you can find one...

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

This video is titled “This is why Mesut Özil is world class”. Now, which moment in the video is actually world class? A lot of the stuff he does was just average:
I felt Özil was world class back in WC 2010 and when he played for Real. He was always an incomplete player but he was amazing for a while. Unfortunately those days are long gone now.

I think it must be possible to hold these two concepts in ones head at the same time. I am not saying you are not doing this, but I think this is where these discussions get lost often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom