• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Lucas Torreira (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We are in the Europa league so we can't get a serious 11 in one summer. It'll probably take this one and the next to get a serious 11.

First step is sign players to get CL football next season. Second step after that is adding the right finishing touches to then challenge further.

Exactly, and the type of player we need to get us in the top 4 are players that improve the quality of the first 11. You don't build a team by signing squad players.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Exactly, and the type of player we need to get us in the top 4 are players that improve the quality of the first 11. You don't build a team by signing squad players.

You are right but if Xhaka is starting in the deeper role Diawara would be the rotation. You'd like to think we'd still be in for Partey so yeah. I'd much rather the cash as well, but we don't want him here next season. So lets see, even if Fiorentina came in with a 2-5M loan offer with obligation to buy next season at £20M I'd take it.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You are right but if Xhaka is starting in the deeper role Diawara would be the rotation. You'd like to think we'd still be in for Partey so yeah. I'd much rather the cash as well, but we don't want him here next season. So lets see, even if Fiorentina came in with a 2-5M loan offer with obligation to buy next season at £20M I'd take it.

Yeah of course if we get Partey then it becomes less of a problem. But even still id just keep Torreira around unless we either get a good offer or can use him in a swap for a player of Parteys calibre.

And yeah as long as we can commit them to paying a fee for him I'd take that. To be honest I'm surprised more deals aren't shaping up like that, I guess the vast majority of clubs are experiencing serious cash flow issues.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I don't think this is a backup for Partey - they're different players IMO.

Diawara was hugely promising a few seasons ago when he was at Napoli, a #6 who was not only a good ball-winner but an excellent ball-progressing midfielder - his passing is arguably a bigger strength IMO. If he can play his way back to that kind of form, this would be a really good pick-up IMO, particularly as we're looking to revamp the midfield. I would be very much OK with a Torreira-Diawara swap - IF (BIG IF) we are also still bringing in a player like Partey, if not Partey himself.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Diawara was hugely promising a few seasons ago when he was at Napoli, a #6 who was not only a good ball-winner but an excellent ball-progressing midfielder - his passing is arguably a bigger strength IMO. If he can play his way back to that kind of form, this would be a really good pick-up IMO, particularly as we're looking to revamp the midfield. I would be very much OK with a Torreira-Diawara swap - IF (BIG IF) we are also still bringing in a player like Partey, if not Partey himself.

Do you have information if he is faster than Torreira? Especially after Diawara's injuries. We don't need any more slow midfielders.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Do you have information if he is faster than Torreira? Especially after Diawara's injuries. We don't need any more slow midfielders.
He's moderate, I don't ever remember him being super quick, but he's got a higher top speed than Torreira for sure and probably just about enough acceleration to be able to use it effectively. His positioning is pretty good anyway.

https://www.esdfanalysis.com/player-analysis/amadou-diawara/

Here's a decent scouting report from when he was at Napoli under Sarri. This essentially describes him as Jorginho's replacement at the base of midfield. This clip of him was also included.

And here's a bigger compilation of his time at Bologna:

And Napoli:

If he can get back to these levels when he was a central figure in good performances against CL level opposition, I'm for it IMO.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

He's moderate, I don't ever remember him being super quick, but he's got a higher top speed than Torreira for sure and probably just about enough acceleration to be able to use it effectively. His positioning is pretty good anyway.

Here's a decent scouting report from when he was at Napoli under Sarri. This essentially describes him as Jorginho's replacement at the base of midfield. This clip of him was also included.

And Napoli:

If he can get back to these levels when he was a central figure in good performances against CL level opposition, I'm for it IMO.

Why break lines when you can sniff em? Would hate to be a footballer.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think the most unflattering comparison I could make about this player is that he's like a tall, black Jorginho which is fitting because that's the player whom he was groomed to replace at Napoli. He was the guy that retained possession and started all the attacking moves with his high volume of touches. That's the main area of his game.

To me, this is a guy whom you'd look to rotate with or replace Xhaka. They essentially fulfil the same kind of role. This balances our midfield profile a little bit, given that Xhaka has become so ungodly undroppable despite his own limitations. At the very least, Diawara - while not necessarily creating as many key chances - is arguably a more reliable ball-progresser in the sense that he is capable of wriggling out of trouble well enough to face the game, whereas Xhaka is a bit cumbersome in that regard. Xhaka is still a relatively consistent performer though, so I'd expect that he won't be replaced that easily, as average as he can be a lot of the time.

Why break lines when you can sniff em? Would hate to be a footballer.
Who says they don't? :lol:

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I think the most unflattering comparison I could make about this player is that he's like a tall, black Jorginho which is fitting because that's the player whom he was groomed to replace at Napoli. He was the guy that retained possession and started all the attacking moves with his high volume of touches. That's the main area of his game.

To me, this is a guy whom you'd look to rotate with or replace Xhaka. They essentially fulfil the same kind of role. This balances our midfield profile a little bit, given that Xhaka has become so ungodly undroppable despite his own limitations. At the very least, Diawara - while not necessarily creating as many key chances - is arguably a more reliable ball-progresser in the sense that he is capable of wriggling out of trouble well enough to face the game, whereas Xhaka is a bit cumbersome in that regard. Xhaka is still a relatively consistent performer though, so I'd expect that he won't be replaced that easily, as average as he can be a lot of the time.

Who says they don't? :lol:

Hmmh, this reads to me that it would mean replacing Xhaka with potential Xhaka. Or getting potential Xhaka in addition to Xhaka. Lovely.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

And Napoli:

Looking at the long video at Napoli I actually really like the directness in his passing - very progressive and he's quite quick to release the ball again. Basically none of our CMs does that and they don't have the balls to quickly play between the lines

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out

I don’t know anything about Diawara but this sounds exactly like Partey imo. How are they different?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I don’t know anything about Diawara but this sounds exactly like Partey imo. How are they different?
Partey is more of an #8 than a #6 and is more rounded. Can do a bit of everything. Diawara has a clearer role as the deeper lying midfielder - doesn't dribble as much, doesn't go forward as much - he's more DLP than roaming destroyer or B2B player. He'd replace Xhaka rather than play next to him. They're quite different.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Who's this Amadou dude?

Is he any good?

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Looking at the long video at Napoli I actually really like the directness in his passing - very progressive and he's quite quick to release the ball again. Basically none of our CMs does that and they don't have the balls to quickly play between the lines
Yeah, he's an excellent passer, it's why I could see him replacing Torreira in the squad. He's bigger and a better passer while still being a good ball-winner. We would also be able to rest/potentially replace Xhaka aswell with a player who has similar strengths and makes less errors. I think for the kind of possession game Arteta wants to be able to play, Diawara ticks a lot of boxes so I'd be in support of this signing - provided he can get back to the levels he was projected to reach before. He had some really excellent performances in the Champions League against very good opposition - a really strong performance vs Man City comes to mind.

I don't think he's a back-up to Partey at all, they're different midfielders. Partey is not gonna be the guy who progresses the play from deep IMO - or at least I'd be surprised if that was what they used him for. Partey has definitely shown an adeptness for a more robust role in the midfield, while Diawara has always been a sitting DM. If that's the case then I'd be disappointed. I'm also quite wary that - while I've bigged him up today - Diawara has yet to return to that level of form he had for Napoli circa 2017. He hasn't been that great for Roma and honestly, since he was dropped for pretty much no reason for Napoli midway through 2018/19, he's struggled for consistency despite the fact that he was playing very well before that. That said, he's a young man still - 23 years old. I would not say no to having Diawara as part of an overhaul of our midfield profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom