• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
We finished 2 points off 3rd and reached a European final last season. Didn’t see you talking about the previous regime then. Finish 8th and now it’s their fault.

They didn’t sign Luiz, Cebellos in midfield, both of whom were poor till June/July, it was Raul also who took the Ramsey contract off the table. It was Raul also who went to war with Özil. The same Raul who got sacked within 18 months of becoming head of football here.
What war?

Manberg

Predator
We finished 2 points off 3rd and reached a European final last season. Didn’t see you talking about the previous regime then. Finish 8th and now it’s their fault.

They didn’t sign Luiz, Cebellos in midfield, both of whom were poor till June/July, it was Raul also who took the Ramsey contract off the table. It was Raul also who went to war with Özil. The same Raul who got sacked within 18 months of becoming head of football here.

Who gave Özil that contract? Who decided that our previous wage structure where we didn’t pay over the odds for players should be broken? Who decided that we should have many mediocre players on huge wages?

@GDeep™ defending a snake like Gazidis.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Who gave Özil that contract? Who decided that our previous wage structure where we didn’t pay over the odds for players should be broken? Who decided that we should have many mediocre players on huge wages?

Whoever bought and played Guendouzi are to blame. 8M to screw up our midfield and have just one assist and zero goals in two seasons in the PL.

scytheavatar

Established Member

We finished 5th and 6th in the 2 seasons before last season........ previous regime has made a string of catastrophic decisions since 2015/16 that we are still suffering from. The Ramsey contract situation also should have been resolved before Gazidis left, either he should have signed the extension or he should be sold. Gazidis left Raul with a difficult mess to clean up cause eventually you have to conclude Ramsey is not going to sign the contract.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Arsenal fans wanted the club to break the wage structure in order to keep our big players, the club done that, in hindsight it’s not worked out. But my point is that mistakes have happened before and after too, it’s a badly run club, even today.

GDeep™

League is very weak
We finished 5th and 6th in the 2 seasons before last season........ previous regime has made a string of catastrophic decisions since 2015/16 that we are still suffering from. The Ramsey contract situation also should have been resolved before Gazidis left, either he should have signed the extension or he should be sold. Gazidis left Raul with a difficult mess to clean up cause eventually you have to conclude Ramsey is not going to sign the contract.
That’s fair enough.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

it was Raul also who took the Ramsey contract off the table. It was Raul also who went to war with Özil.
These were good decisions though.

I'm really on the fence with Raul tbh. He seemed dodgy but when I look at what he has done and what is in process by the time he left- it actually wasn't too bad. Time will tell.

It was his connections that got the Tierney deal over the line for eg. that kind of stuff doesn't get mentioned around here.

GDeep™

League is very weak
These were good decisions though.

I'm really on the fence with Raul tbh. He seemed dodgy but when I look at what he has done and what is in process by the time he left- it actually wasn't too bad. Time will tell.

It was his connections that got the Tierney deal over the line for eg. that kind of stuff doesn't get mentioned around here.
It was 25M that got Tierney over the line, like Pepe, money talks.

I don’t dislike Raul as much as it may seem btw, but this was our worst league season in 30 years. The appointment of Emery was through his contacts too etc.

Arteta was a top appointment though, and Pepe/Saliba could turn out to be gems. He got sacked to, which raises further questions as to why.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I mean you can’t spend nearly 30M on one season of David Luiz, where he’s poor nearly every game, finish 8 etc.

Manberg

Predator
Who was the board member pushing for Arteta’s appointment? Gazidis hired Emery and Raul wanted to extend Emery’s contract around Baku time.
We haven’t really found out who wanted Arteta. It was Vinai outside his house in Manchester so it could’ve been him all along.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I remember reading Arteta being fluent in both English and Spanish a big big reason for Raul wanting Arteta here. Along with his lower wages compared to Ancelloti who was very interested in the Arsenal role.

He learned after Emery’s failure to connect with the media and fans that someone more savvy with the public was the way to go. Also easier for Raul to keep tabs as well if the manager is native speaker.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Was trying to find the article for you guys that explained all the reasons Arteta was hired but I couldn't find it.

Allegri was considered but his lack of English and unwillingness to learn it made him not suitable.

Ancelotti was considered and his representatives strongly pushed for the Arsenal appointment as Ancelotti really wanted it but he was too expensive.

What I did find, was an article explaining that Arteta was always the strongest candidate and narrowly missed out because he did not have a backroom staff ready to go. There was also this strong feeling that the next guy to take over after Wenger was always going to struggle and they didn't want that for Arteta right away. Seeing how @Makingtrax & @GDeep™ go on about Wenger, that is actually very smart insight from our decision makers tbh.

Explains Arteta's barebones set up which he is still trying to build up till this day.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1419128/2...aff-meant-he-missed-out-to-emery-so-what-now/

Looking back, it’s worth analysing that choice, and what it tells us about whether Arsenal might have learnt something that will impact on this current search.

In the summer of 2018, in following a legacy manager, Arsenal were eager for Arsène Wenger’s replacement to get to work straight away in what promised to be a very important pre-season. They were also aware that one or two coaches in the post-Wenger world might get burned before, in the bigger picture, they found the right person to work magic. On both those criteria, Arsenal’s king-makers felt they couldn’t be sure that it was quite the right time for Arteta.

Not that the decision didn’t nag in some quarters. The former Arsenal midfielder interviewed superbly and was in many ways the more tantalising and ambitious choice. His hunger for success, knowledge of Arsenal, clarity of self-expression and the way he presented his ideas made him, in many ways, the outstanding candidate.

But the biggest stumbling block was that Arteta didn’t have a team around him that was ready to go. There was no infrastructure. Not even a name for a prospective assistant manager. While a new staff can be built within a few phone calls, Arsenal felt that it was necessary to have a coaching group that would be in position to begin implementing new ideas immediately. The coaching team would have to speak the same language in terms of their football approach in order to make a quick difference to a club that had been used to the same managerial style for 22 years.

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Well when we have a player like Countinho we can sell for 100+ million and other players like Benteke and those Bournemouth ones where we get way more for the player then we won't end up like Liverpool.

Arsenal fans have this obsession with being like Liverpool, Firminho/Lacazette, Robertson/Tierney, saying we're gonna copy in their foot steps. It's a bit pathetic tbh.
Liverpool were a similarly sized club with no hope of a title desperately trying to get back into the CL.

They are a blueprint to follow, nobody is saying we are going to follow in their footsteps but Ofc we should try. Or do you prefer where we are now?

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Liverpool were a similarly sized club with no hope of a title desperately trying to get back into the CL.

They are a blueprint to follow, nobody is saying we are going to follow in their footsteps but Ofc we should try. Or do you prefer where we are now?

They’re not a blueprint to follow we can’t copy what they did, Arsenal fans just deluding themselves with hoping to be like Liverpool.

They got the best coach in the world, always scouting players that do well, sell players for an insanely high price. We aren’t doing any of these things.

Mane and Salah combined cost less than Pepe while our forward line is worth 200+ million and have not produced anything that justifies that price.

We need to focus on our own way of getting up there, Liverpool sell their players like Torres, Sterling, Suarez, Countinho etc for insane prices while we buy players for insane prices and they don’t even live up to it.

scytheavatar

Established Member
There was also this strong feeling that the next guy to take over after Wenger was always going to struggle and they didn't want that for Arteta right away. Seeing how @Makingtrax & @GDeep™ go on about Wenger, that is actually very smart insight from our decision makers tbh.

It was a freaking stupid line of thinking from our decision makers. This line of thinking was precisely why Utd hired Moyes (which makes me laugh at all the talk about how we had to keep Wenger for muh transition to prevent us from turning into post Fergie Utd). Had we hired Arteta or a better manager instead of Emery we might have kept Ramsey, might have kept Monreal or Kos, might have already sold Özil, might have brought better players last summer, heck might have qualified for CL last season........... the guy after Wenger struggling doesn't mean the manager after him isn't going to struggle. Emery inherited a mess from Wenger and now Arteta inherited an even bigger mess from Emery.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Don't think its stupid at all.

I think the main reason Arteta worked and many were so willing to accept him was because we were in such a bad spot that he couldn't possibly be any worse.

Arteta straight after Wenger would have been too much for the fans I reckon. The board was right, the chances of the next manager getting "burned" was definitely high. We've already had the propagandists rewrite Wenger history with their rose tinted glasses.

We were right to let Ramsey go, he's not a 300k+ player in any capacity.
Kos forced his way out, his family wanted to go back to France.

Nonsensical points tbh neither had anything to do with Emery or Mikel- both were gaffs under Wenger's regime.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Who was the board member pushing for Arteta’s appointment? Gazidis hired Emery and Raul wanted to extend Emery’s contract around Baku time.
We haven’t really found out who wanted Arteta. It was Vinai outside his house in Manchester so it could’ve been him all along.
What does it matter? It was Raul who wanted to extend Emery btw.

Manberg

Predator
Don't think its stupid at all.

I think the main reason Arteta worked and many were so willing to accept him was because we were in such a bad spot that he couldn't possibly be any worse.

Arteta straight after Wenger would have been too much for the fans I reckon. The board was right, the chances of the next manager getting "burned" was definitely high. We've already had the propagandists rewrite Wenger history with their rose tinted glasses.

Emery still had support from a large section of fans, even after Baku. But fans were encouraged by the transfer window but discouraged by performances.
Not me though. I wasn’t fond of Emery from the start I just had to accept it.

Top Bottom