• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

Aevi

Hale End FC
I don't know if he will have a good season, but if he wants to keep having opportunities here it feels like he has to impress in some capacity. Saka and Martinelli have taken no time getting going which I feel has raised expectations for him a little.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
A poll for if people think Reiss will have a breakout season?
I'm 50/50 personally. Looking at the level of competition, it's in the balance because I don't know exactly how much minutes he's gonna get. I'm hoping for a loan but I've seen no links and it seems like Nelson wants to fight for a place in the XI. If that's the case, then he's gonna have to fight on the pitch as well as in training. He's looking a lot more progressive and forceful in his most recent performances but there could still be more from him IMO, I feel like he's not at his most imaginative best quite yet.

Touch and go for me, I wanna see what happens by October.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I'm 50/50 personally. Looking at the level of competition, it's in the balance because I don't know exactly how much minutes he's gonna get. I'm hoping for a loan but I've seen no links and it seems like Nelson wants to fight for a place in the XI. If that's the case, then he's gonna have to fight on the pitch as well as in training. He's looking a lot more progressive and forceful in his most recent performances but there could still be more from him IMO, I feel like he's not at his most imaginative best quite yet.

Touch and go for me, I wanna see what happens by October.

I keep thinking that Reiss is more suited to give and go team mates we haven’t had them awhile but with Willian it might change, Sound strange to say but he is more suited to a technically higher level team than Pepe.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I keep thinking that Reiss is more suited to give and go team mates we haven’t had them awhile but with Willian it might change, Sound strange to say but he is more suited to a technically higher level team than Pepe.
He's more adept at it, definitely - while Pepe is much more individualistic in possession. Nelson's definitely had to lean more into his teamplay because of his timidity when dribbling past players since coming up. I feel like both players have opposite problems! :lol:

I would ideally like to see Auba upfront with Nelson on the left personally, or try Nelson as a #10. He's OK going on the outside but I much prefer Nelson cutting in and he has a much better relationship with players on the left side (Tierney/Saka/Martinelli).

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He's more adept at it, definitely - while Pepe is much more individualistic in possession. Nelson's definitely had to lean more into his teamplay because of his timidity when dribbling past players since coming up. I feel like both players have opposite problems! :lol:.
This is well said, they are both timid in their own way.

I really hope Reiss just gets some games this season. I also hope he opts against a loan and fights for his place, it’s hard to find a team eager to develop Arsenal players for nothing.

I think he his better off trying to impose himself amongst the competition he has here. He can do it.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This is well said, they are both timid in their own way.

I really hope Reiss just gets some games this season. I also hope he opts against a loan and fights for his place, it’s hard to find a team eager to develop Arsenal players for nothing.

I think he his better off trying to impose himself amongst the competition he has here. He can do it.
I think it's good that he wants to fight for a place, he already alluded to it in the post match comments after the Community Shield so my guess is he's staying and fighting for minutes.

I think he has the talent but I want him to make it count when he plays. He's getting decent end product relative to the minutes he actually plays, now we need sustained performances. Will be interesting to see if it's on the right or the left.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
U21s playing tonight? Can never seem to find much info on broadcast of their games yet I prefer watching them to the seniors

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Didn't have his best game today for England U21s IMO. Had some really nice interchanges but ultimately was very sloppy and unfocused.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Not in the XI today, Willian with a strong performance, Pepe & Saka on the bench, Martinelli to come back, Auba sticking to the left.....

Are we cashing in? Or a loan?

Maybe fighting for minutes isn't the best strategy for Reiss just this minute. I really think he should go on loan. If they decide to cash in, I'll be upset but can't have too many complaints unfortunately.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Yeah, it’s not looking great for him.

I personally didn’t expect Willian to look so impressive today and our record signing is on the bench for now. Not sure where Reiss goes.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, it’s not looking great for him.

I personally didn’t expect Willian to look so impressive today and our record signing is on the bench for now. Not sure where Reiss goes.
He's looking real vulnerable right now. He's not doing enough to suggest he can play ahead of these guys right now. Luckily Willian isn't young so if he's patient he can still do something (he's only 20 still). But he has to go on loan somewhere. He needs to get football regularly, and I think he needs to be smart about it and ask for a loan.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
He's looking real vulnerable right now. He's not doing enough to suggest he can play ahead of these guys right now. Luckily Willian isn't young so if he's patient he can still do something (he's only 20 still). But he has to go on loan somewhere. He needs to get football regularly, and I think he needs to be smart about it and ask for a loan.
Willian can be a tutor of both Nelson and Pepe.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

PL loan would be ideal but who's going to take a chance on him like that? At this point, he's entirely unproven and inconsistent. Maybe Germany again. I'd probably stay away from the Championship for him.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Really like Reiss and hope he makes it here but with Willian, Pepe and Saka can't see him getting the regular game time he needs here to develop.
A Leeds or Brighton type loan would be good for him, think he could get good playing time and they try and play decent football.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Reiss is in a tough spot right now, but I wouldn't send him on loan yet. I think he needs a little more under Arteta before going on a loan. He's not getting many minutes right now, but when he plays he looks better and better.

We have a lot of matches jammed together in the first half of the season, and if Reiss can prove his quality in those matches then he'd be ready for a loan for the rest of the season.

Reiss isn't going on loan to get experience at this point. He's going on loan to show that he's one of the best players on that team and can produce every week.

The mental side of his game is what he needs to work on, and Arteta can help him with that. No one doubts his technical ability.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
From Arteta's press conference earlier:

Will Reiss Nelson go out on loan?

"I think they all realise the competition we have in forward positions. I’ve already spoken with Reiss about it and I really like the way he’s training. I think we both agree about how much he’s improved in the last few months and he’s going to carry on pushing himself and the rest of the team. He needs to be ready because in football, unfortunately, or fortunately, things don’t take three months to change, it can take three minutes and you have to be ready when that opportunity comes."

Does he need to be playing to progress?

"I think if you ask any of those 27 players if they need to play, they will all say ‘Yes, of course. I need to play regularly and I need minutes.’ But at the moment it’s just not possible playing one game a week and with this rule of just being able to have 18 players, it’s very difficult to give everyone the same minutes - impossible."

Full presser - https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/fixtures-results/full-transcript-arteta-west-ham-18957423

Very politician-like answer from Arteta - likes the player but can't guarantee minutes. Doesn't really answer the question but it appears he's staying with the squad. I still struggle to see where his playing time is going to come from though, hopefully he is able to get some minutes in the smaller games and the cups.

oh to be a goon

I saw rumors on Reddit and twitter the last few days of us agreeing a deal with crystal palace for Zaha of a loan + Obligation of 50m and Reiss going the other way on loan.

Impact

Established Member
We need to manage this carefully.

I still hold the view that Reiss is our most talented Hale End grad since Wilshere's emergence but by in large he hasn't proved that. Ultimately football is about demonstrated ability, not potential. So I understand why he is vulnerable.

Willian, Lacazette and Aubameyang are all 30+, so notwithstanding how good they currently look, they will all need replacing within the next 3-4 years. So even if there is no space now, there could be soon.

I'd send Reiss on loan for a season. He needs to play and have the 100% confidence of the coach. A play-off chasing team would be great. I don't think he's shown enough to get a PL team to start him all season.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom