• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I remember watching a video of him in Jan with a United supporting mate and he really didn’t want us to sign him. This was when we were just one team making up a list of like eight teams so nobody thought anything of it and then out of nowhere we signed him in summer.

He was making waves as he was the best player in Ligue 1 not called Mbappe (Neymar was injured).

Some of us watch football.

Tbh I don't watch football outside of Arsenal and big CL/PL games, I don't play Fifa or FM either so I know f all about players outside of the obvious.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Tbh I don't watch football outside of Arsenal and big CL/PL games, I don't play Fifa or FM either so I know f all about players outside of the obvious.
It’s part of the reason why I have faith in him.

He had a great season and was the main man for a very good side. If he does end up being a flop then it goes down as very poor scouting. We (so far) haven’t attempted to maximise any of his strengths nor have we done anything similar to what Lille did.

Looking at how Arteta plays we should have basically signed a fast no10 and played him there.

GunnerShy

Any criticism of him this season should be moderated by the fact that he's played a half of PL football and we've had something like the second lowest shots on goal.

We've been poor in attack when he's played.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Any criticism of him this season should be moderated by the fact that he's played a half of PL football and we've had something like the second lowest shots on goal.

We've been poor in attack when he's played.

Yawn......... when you pay 70 million for a winger you expect him to be more than just a Walcott tier player. You expect him to be able to make things happen for the team even when his teammates are ****. If Pepe can't do that then we had wasted our money on him.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Yawn......... when you pay 70 million for a winger you expect him to be more than just a Walcott tier player. You expect him to be able to make things happen for the team even when his teammates are ****. If Pepe can't do that then we had wasted our money on him.

Can't lie he's not even as effective as Walcott was, at least his pace and finishing was killer.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I'm not writing him off yet but I am disappointed. He still looks the same as when he joined us, like a Giraffe juggling ice cubes! I still think he needs a run to bring confidence and stability to his game. Having said that, how do you give him a run when he cant even take a decent corner? For a player with a killer left foot, he should be getting it past the first man.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Really? You were as invincible as Hunter on here last year.

Were you watching football? I thought you were having time of your life at the University picking up Asian girls in your native language classes?
I always watch football because of fantasy football. But my posting on here correlates strongly with how Arsenal are doing.

The whole pandemic helped as well.

GunnerShy

Even Messi can't do it from the bench. Play him. He was many people's MOTM in the cup final.

I'm agnostic. But I can't believe we'd sign a 32 yr old Willian and start Pepe on the bench.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Even Messi can't do it from the bench. Play him. He was many people's MOTM in the cup final.

I'm agnostic. But I can't believe we'd sign a 32 yr old Willian and start Pepe on the bench.

Has Pepe been so good in his sub appearances that it's outrageous for him not to start? If not then why you are questioning Arteta's assessment that Willian is a better player to start with than Pepe?

GunnerShy

Has Pepe been so good in his sub appearances that it's outrageous for him not to start? If not then why you are questioning Arteta's assessment that Willian is a better player to start with than Pepe?
I believe you have to balance the now and next season.

Coming off a very good FA cup he should have started at Fulham (perhaps wasn't ready?).

Your query on form as a sub is fair, but 20 minute cameos in games with minimal service are hard to make an impact in. I thought Willian was poor v Liverpool and should have been hooked earlier.

There was talk Willian would play centrally when he was signed. If he is going to come in and take minutes from Pepe & Nelson, then unless his form is outrageously good it feels like it stands in the way of better players with more upside.

It's early in the season, so it's a criticism from a small sample size.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I believe you have to balance the now and next season.

Coming off a very good FA cup he should have started at Fulham (perhaps wasn't ready?).

Your query on form as a sub is fair, but 20 minute cameos in games with minimal service are hard to make an impact in. I thought Willian was poor v Liverpool and should have been hooked earlier.

There was talk Willian would play centrally when he was signed. If he is going to come in and take minutes from Pepe & Nelson, then unless his form is outrageously good it feels like it stands in the way of better players with more upside.

It's early in the season, so it's a criticism from a small sample size.

Pepe was a mixed bag last season, some good performances along with some performances when he's like a worse version of Gervinho. He has done nothing to prove that he's better than Willian or have a bigger upside, so it's a bit ridiculous to blame Willian for the fact that our 70 million signing isn't good enough to start week in week out.

GunnerShy

Pepe was a mixed bag last season, some good performances along with some performances when he's like a worse version of Gervinho. He has done nothing to prove that he's better than Willian or have a bigger upside, so it's a bit ridiculous to blame Willian for the fact that our 70 million signing isn't good enough to start week in week out.
Actually, I totally agree that he was a mixed bag last year. Even his biggest fans would have to admit it was inconsistent in both output and "effort" he drifted in and out of games.

Despite that though, his PL G/A has only been bettered by Willian in two of his Chelsea seasons. That, despite it being Pepe's first season in the league and the country. With Pepe 25 and Willian 32yo it's clear who has more upside.

You are right that none of this is Willian's problem nor is it Pepe's fault he cost 72m. But I'm surprised Willian got the gig to start ahead of Pepe because I don't think it's in the teams best interests going forward and I'm even more surprised people are lining up to slate him after a couple of cameos. Two during games in which we were pretty insipid.

My point on Willian though, is that I was sceptical on the deal at the time, and if he's going to come in and take minutes from Pepe and Nelson rather than play in an 8 or 10 then I think it's a backwards step.

The only way I see it clicking for Pepe is by playing himself into for out on the middle. I don't think he's going to have an epiphany moment. He gradually improved last season, and with more time playing with HB I'd expect him to keep gradually improving. The last step change will be with a change in system and someone like DC in at RCM to play him through.

Some more gradual improvement and you'll have a 10g/10a playing from the wing all of a sudden.

Moah

Does every argument regarding Pepe need to end with Gervinho at the end? This in itself shows how little you know about the player.

Willian came in as a substitute when we played vs Leicester and it was like he was never there. You can't expect players to do miracles when they have 20 minutes to play and the whole team is disorganized.

The 70 million paid doesn't come in and play itself, what every money you pay isn't on the player, its on the club. He won't be any different because of how much you pay for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom