• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
He can’t even do a step over. The best I saw him doing was right foot passing to his left foot pass back to his right foot and then accelerate. If you called this a skill move then I don't know what Ronaldinho has been doing for all his career.

Dude, his feint is legendary. Stepovers aren't even effective, those are hollywood moves. Thanks for losing even more credibility with this post.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Arteta finally using using Auba as his striker, plus the way Villa played against Liverpool and the way Leicester played against City really makes me hope Mikel is open to using it more often.

I know we don't have a super creative team to carry Pierre's lack of on the ball ability, I know sometimes a workhorse striker can to do dirty work and allow Auba to flourish on the inside left position...but there will be plenty of matches this season where just Pierre's pace and goal scoring ability will be so useful through the middle.

In big games, on even when we are infront in matches and teams are having to come at us more...having Auba at cf, with the likes of Pepe/Saka/Willian/Nelson wide will be much more dangerous than Laca or Eddie upfront, could really add something to our game.

avalonhse

Not true. He would be invisible for 86 mins, and then give you 4 assist passes in the remaining 4 mins. No general play involvement.

He does it once every 4 games, so on average he looks like he is assisting once every game.

Would you please provide an evidence of your saying? In what match and day that Özil gave 4 assists in 4 min?

Otherwise I must believe you are spouting nonsense.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Would you please provide an evidence of your saying? In what match and day that Özil gave 4 assists in 4 min?

Otherwise I must believe you are spouting nonsense.
I mean he might provide assist but gone missing most of the time in a match because of the lack of involvement in the general play.

GoonerJay24

Simple/efficient/tidy shxt....

we need iniesta, we need complexity in movement/passing play and skill moves to confuse opponent. Not simple play.

We need active involvement in combination play. Not efficiency, not doing minimal and hope for the best.

we need control of possession and overload the opponent, slowly build up our play.

There are different styles of football

I'd love to have a player like peak Özil or Bergkamp

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I know we don't have the players but our ability to move from defensive to offensive transition is way too slow. We used to be a team that ended up in the opposition's final 3rd in about 10 seconds.

That's true, our really slow build up does hurt us when it comes to creating chances I think.

It's probably so we do get hit so badly on the transition. I remember Wenger teams as everyone would go flying up and one misplaced pass could see us completely undone.

But I also remember that often time when we performed badly with Wenger it'd be due to us not moving the ball quickly enough, but we'd also look defensively frail.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I can't work out yet whether it's a fear of shooting, a lack of final ball or just fiddling with the ball on the back four and constantly recycling possession that drives such a large discrepancy.

I can see that we are trying to limit turn over in parts of the pitch to reduce transitions. It's been very effective in making us more defensively solid but I can't help but to think a hundred touches a shot will rely on an unsustainable efficiency in front of goal to keep winning games.

In short, we lack players that can effectively link midfield and attack. We don't have players that can naturally appear in between lines and do that vital work. Saka and Willian are the closest but they also have responsibilities to provide width and defensively according to the build-up. Lacazette too but he is far from a natural and he is operating higher up the pitch.

The cure to our ails is really quite simple: a good creative player comfortable operating in the 10 space, or more effective at linking midfield and attack. Ramsey for instance would improve this team greatly. Saying nothing of even better creative players and 10 space operators like James.

This is clear for everyone to see, Arteta as well, having mentioned it so many times. It really is such a failure if we don't achieve it in this market, there's no excuse not to having had the opportunity to sign James or at worst someone like Brahim on loan.

Leaving it up to ESR or continuing to play this football where we are dependent on limiting opposition scoring almost completely because we are only capable of making a few chances again is just not a winning bet.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
In short, we lack players that can effectively link midfield and attack. We don't have players that can naturally appear in between lines and do that vital work. Saka and Willian are the closest but they also have responsibilities to provide width and defensively according to the build-up. Lacazette too but he is far from a natural and he is operating higher up the pitch.

The cure to our ails is really quite simple: a good creative player comfortable operating in the 10 space, or more effective at linking midfield and attack. Ramsey for instance would improve this team greatly. Saying nothing of even better creative players and 10 space operators like James.

This is clear for everyone to see, Arteta as well, having mentioned it so many times. It really is such a failure if we don't achieve it in this market, there's no excuse not to having had the opportunity to sign James or at worst someone like Brahim on loan.

Leaving it up to ESR or continuing to play this football where we are dependent on limiting opposition scoring almost completely because we are only capable of making a few chances again is just not a winning bet.
Ramsey is shxt.
We need a Cazorla/Rosicky/Hleb/Nasri

Get Coutinho and Aouar.

——Willian——Martinelli——Pepe——
——Aouar——Ceballos——Coutinho——
——LB——CB————CB——RB——
————————GK——————————

This is how we should play.

musoke

I know we don't have the players but our ability to move from defensive to offensive transition is way too slow. We used to be a team that ended up in the opposition's final 3rd in about 10 seconds.
I like Arteta and what he has done for us so far. But the football is giving me nightmares. Too cautious against the small and big teams.
It’s draining to watch. I hope we got those 2 midfielders (Partey and Aouar) and may be would have changed the way we play.

But i don’t know if I will be able to get used to it all season.

9jagooner

I think not having opportunity for a proper pre-season is affecting the team's plans. Not being able to try various formations has left the team relying on what won us the FA Cup and Charity shield.
You can see that he is trying some things during games - like playing Pepe on the left and also getting Pepe to drift in as our top 9 some times.

Towards the end of the game against Sheffield UTD, we had Auba and Pepe upfront, which I believe is another Arteta is playing with. We shouldn't be doing this during games but it is what it is.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
We all know the weaknesses of this squad. So Arteta is working with what’s in front of him. Looks like he views his choices as Pragmatism or Entertainment.

Choose a side.

At this tick of the clock, I trust the managers choices. I reserve the right to modify this view at any time it pleases me :lol:

GoonerJay24

Please don’t mention Özil in the same sentence as Bergkamp.
That is blasphemous. Completely different players, personalities and characters.

Trying to tarnish the great mans character.

They are both no.10s who at their peak contributed for us consistently

Bergkamp played with the likes of Overmars, Kanu, Henry, Wright, Amelia, Van Persie and Ljunberg; whereas Özil had way inferior players

Of course overrall Bergkamp was the more talented and better player; but apart from Messi and Zidane, DB10 is the most naturally gifted player of all time?

Top Bottom