• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

European Super League

Are you in favour of the European Super League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Why? Most football clubs were started in a different era where wealth and economy were not so centralised and urban. Rising income and wealth inequality along with movement of industry away from the small towns and villages to the large cities is a phenomenon outside the world of football. As such the small towns that are victims of this will also struggle to support their teams financially.

If football can find a way to not be totally under the sway of the rising inequality we find ourselves in then I say that's a good thing.

These clubs are important cultural and societal things that can help support and hold communities together. I'd argue this is a wonderful idea (the redistribution of money bit).

The PL is a microcosm of all wrong with capitalism. It concentrates power and wealth with a few who were lucky enough to have success in an industry at the right time.
Football clubs are business first and foremost and if you have to constantly bail out a business because it cant function on its own. then that cant last. Again 92 professional clubs is way way too much and no country has close to those numbers. Some of these clubs need to become semi professional. Every other country function with way less professional clubs and they produce enough young players

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Does anyone know anything specific AFC has had to say on this? A couple of articles suggest J W Henry has been looking at this for years but I'm suspicious of his timing and also can't see how Utd benefit. Will newly rich clubs also leave us further back than we currently are or does this project even things out more? I have a sinking feeling that the timing sucks for us.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Does anyone know anything specific AFC has had to say on this? A couple of articles suggest J W Henry has been looking at this for years but I'm suspicious of his timing and also can't see how Utd benefit. Will newly rich clubs also leave us further back than we currently are or does this project even things out more? I have a sinking feeling that the timing sucks for us.

On the face of it its hard to see how we would be disadvantaged. The £250m seasonal redistribution would come from dividing the PL TV money 18 ways rather than 20 for the most part and getting rid of balloon payments.

Norwich and Watford got roughly £95m each last season. The parachute payments are around £250m in total so that's £450m saved minus the £250m give to lower leagues under the proposals. Then there's plans for giving some money to good causes and the FA which I presume accounts for the other £200m from the £450m saved

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It leaves a sour taste in the mouth that man city that was a small club a decade ago will now be one of the club's calling the shots.
Aston villa is a bigger club historically than city but just because city hit the jackpot they're now considered royalty?

Sad

Last edited:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
On the face of it its hard to see how we would be disadvantaged. The £250m seasonal redistribution would come from dividing the PL TV money 18 ways rather than 20 for the most part and getting rid of balloon payments.

Norwich and Watford got roughly £95m each last season. The parachute payments are around £250m in total so that's £450m saved minus the £250m give to lower leagues under the proposals. Then there's plans for giving some money to good causes and the FA which I presume accounts for the other £200m from the £450m saved
Thanks for the info. As you say, you can't see us being disadvantaged. So far, I see a gain of about £8m from reducing the PL to 18 clubs. I would hope that the money to the FA and good causes would be less than £200m tbh. I also believe Suning who own part of Inter weren't able to pay their dues to the PL due to covid. Without knowing specific figures re TV money, nobody can quantify our potential gain. We've just slimmed down our own club staff and I'm a bit wary of propping up the bloated lower leagues and lost causes like Stoke City. I'm just suspicious and not feeling the "love" right now.

GoonerJay24

What a terrible idea. You want a team to play 38 tough league games just to finish 4th and have to play the FA Cup winner for a CL spot?

Finishing 4th in such a tough league is enough to merit a CL spot.

4th this season will be more exciting than the league race I reckon.

It has been for the last few years, remember 18/19 and 12/13?

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I believe they are trying going to a NFL style system. You underestimated how much money the worst so call ESL team can make.
The money is all that matters. The TV contracts for this league would be outrageous.

You're both right, although I'm unfamiliar with what the NFL system is.

As far as this goes. Isn't the 250m just a loan? There has to be something there, I know there are power grabs in there and the money is little more than a "bribe". But I just want to know where that money is coming from because its a very expensive bribe, especially in these times.

They can save the EFL clubs without implementing any of their ghoulish policies. So let's see how much they really care about the Football division. When the proposal is turned down, are they still going to give the EFL the money?

That's when we'll know whether the PL is for real or not.

Kav

Established Member
It’s more akin to signing your rights away. I would advise any clubs considering the proposal to simply reject it in the current form. Why should 9 clubs get to decide who can buy or invest in another club? Why should the get special dispensation in regards to accounting practices and tax rebates that others cannot access? Why should they be given favourable voting rights or greater portion of multiple revenue streams?

Let us call it what it is, a power play dressed up as concern for the lower leagues. Except we can see through their actions and self centered approach.

GDeep™

League is very weak
It's a no from me Jeff.

There is no "Big Six" - it's a bullshit term cooked up by SkySports. There are historically 3 big teams in England - Liverpool, United and Arsenal.
Not sure about that, wasn’t there always the big 5 - Arsenal, Utd, Liverpool, Sp**s, Everton etc.

The big 6 has just developed from that, the City and Chelsea money allowing them to enter while Everton fall out after not doing anything since the 80’s.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Not sure about that, wasn’t there always the big 5 - Arsenal, Utd, Liverpool, Sp**s, Everton etc.

The big 6 has just developed from that, the City and Chelsea money allowing them to enter while Everton fall out after not doing anything since the 80’s.

Unlike Sp**s, who have just been snapping up trophies in that time...

Latest posts+

Top Bottom