• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Actually it's not too far-fetched. Özil is vocal about his faith. He doesn't hide it. You can't blame people for thinking racial bias is involved when some of his critics keep saying he should **** off to Turkey or only a Turkish club will take him. The dude is a German national yet people associate him with his ethnic country which happens to be a Muslim country. Im sure those people are not islamophobes or racists but their statements can be construed that way. Its as outlandish as if a Laca critic was to say he should **** off to Africa.

I don't buy it. Elneny, Xhaka and Mustafi have been slagged off plenty of times, no-one tried to link that to Islamophobia.

The reason people keep bringing up Turkey is because that's where he's consistently been linked to in the press. I'm pretty sure he's said he'd like to play in Turkey in the past too.

If people are going to throw around terms like Islamopobia they should have evidence to back it up. It's not something that should be thrown around lightly.

I don't think it's unfair to say that Özil seems more invested in his Turkish heritage than his German nationality. That's his choice. Can't say I care much either way.

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I get it's an Internet forum and people can talk crap, but I think you're a disgrace for trying to link criticism of Özil with Islamophobia.
Middle aged, Malaysian, wifeless, hate-filled insomniac, who has never and will never experience an Emirates crowd--the most racially diverse crowd in the whole of the UK, no less. But they're all racist, brexity people who chant racism to our players anyway... apparently. What a twisted, wretched excuse of a human he is.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think most of his acolytes don't really follow him for Football reasons.

I think they worship him because he champions their political belief, which is fair.

But I just wish they'd come out and say it rather than hiding behind 'football reasons.'

There's no way you could say even make a case for Özil to be in the team based on his form in the past two years.

Kav

Established Member
I think most of his acolytes don't really follow him for Football reasons.

I think they worship him because he champions their political belief, which is fair.

But I just wish they'd come out and say it rather than hiding behind 'football reasons.'

There's no way you could say even make a case for Özil to be in the team based on his form in the past two years.
Who are his acolytes ?

Are you saying that Özil is a religious leader? Or are you saying that he has followers?

I am a bit perplexed of your use of the word in this forum. It seems not only out of context but certainly uncouth.

Can you guys discuss the topic without hurling insults at each other? It is as if you guys (includes those pro and anti Özil) are taking the matter as some personal vendetta against those who disagree with you. I’d like to see both sides discuss the matter with some civility.

Back on topic: What are the odds that he leaves in January vs Summer?

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

What odds do I get on him joining Sp**s? I have a feeling it is coming. Would be just epic in my view!

If it happens and we lose against them I will suffer an instant and combined heart attack and brain haemorrhage from pure anger and hate... :mad: RIP Case!

Reactions: Kav

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Can you guys discuss the topic without hurling insults at each other? It is as if you guys (includes those pro and anti Özil) are taking the matter as some personal vendetta against those who disagree with you. I’d like to see both sides discuss the matter with some civility.

First time on the internet fella? What do you think of it so far?

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Actually it's not too far-fetched. Özil is vocal about his faith. He doesn't hide it. You can't blame people for thinking racial bias is involved when some of his critics keep saying he should **** off to Turkey or only a Turkish club will take him. The dude is a German national yet people associate him with his ethnic country which happens to be a Muslim country. Im sure those people are not islamophobes or racists but their statements can be construed that way. Its as outlandish as if a Laca critic was to say he should **** off to Africa.

Turkey is a country. Africa is a continent.
The causal use of the continent is a key part of the insult.
The two statements are not equivalent my friend.

Özil is consistently linked with Turkish clubs for a large number of very good reasons. Best mates with the president, his wife is from there, involves himself in its politics, their league is still competitive, long established history of Prem players moving and last but by no means least every 10th tweet that mentions Özil says “ COME TO FENERBAHCE”

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

You can’t shut the thread, but it could be moderated more. Let’s stick to the football and stuff we know - pay cut etc.

Given how many people believe the China stuff has something to do with Özil being left out of the squad or the amount of people who think that Özil being a good Muslim role model should have some impact on how the fans view him I don't think it's possible to discuss Özil without religion / politics being involved.

I know it wasn't you personally but it was the hardcore Özil supporters in general who brought politics / religion and non proven conspiracy theories into it.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Who are his acolytes ?

Are you saying that Özil is a religious leader? Or are you saying that he has followers?

I am a bit perplexed of your use of the word in this forum. It seems not only out of context but certainly uncouth.

The follwership of Özil is a bit cult-like.
How do you explain the fact that his fans defend him at every turn?

Anyway, back on topic.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

I don't think he'll live in January. Both parties have set their mind on Özil leaving in the summer.

It doesn't make financial sense for him to leave in January after digging in his heels all summer. He'll sign a precontract with his next club in the next two months and leave in summer. He won't leave in January.

GDeep™

League is very weak
The follwership of Özil is a bit cult-like.
How do you explain the fact that his fans defend him at every turn?

Anyway, back on topic.
We’ve heard this before though? Same was said about Wenger, same was said about Ramsey, same is said about Xhaka etc. Other clubs have it too, Utd with Pogba, Ole etc.

Also, the way some defend him at every turn is similar to you bashing him at every turn. You all come from the same box.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Given how many people believe the China stuff has something to do with Özil being left out of the squad or the amount of people who think that Özil being a good Muslim role model should have some impact on how the fans view him I don't think it's possible to discuss Özil without religion / politics being involved.

I know it wasn't you personally but it was the hardcore Özil supporters in general who brought politics / religion and non proven conspiracy theories into it.
The origin of this is in the hounding of Özil by the far right german media and his subsequent statement that "when we win I am german, but turkish when we lose"

most of the yapping against him does originally stem from a far right / brexity **** mentality.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You can't blame people for thinking racial bias is involved when some of his critics keep saying he should **** off to Turkey .... It’s as outlandish as if a Laca critic was to say he should **** off to Africa.
Well that’s about as bad an example of a false equivalence or of plain disingenuousness as I’ve seen in here. How do you even manage to press ‘post reply’ after tapping that out?

But I’m glad you did because it’s a great example of the waffle and gymnastics people have to negotiate in here.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

The origin of this is in the hounding of Özil by the far right german media and his subsequent statement that "when we win I am german, but turkish when we lose"

most of the yapping against him does originally stem from a far right / brexity **** mentality.

Arsenal has one of the most racially / ethincally / religiously diverse fanbases in the world. It's located in one of the biggest and most successful cultural melting pot cities in the world. We're a diverse and tolerant club and fanbase and that's something we should all be proud of.

I'm not saying that there aren't going to be a small handful of genuine bigots, there will be in any large group. But this idea that criticism of Özil is founded on far right mentalities or Brexit like attitudes just isn't fair or accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom