• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manager Wish-List Thread

Who do you want?

• Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antonio Conte

• Christophe Galtier

• Roberto Martinez

• Paulo Fonseca

• Gian Piero Gasperini

• Total voters

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Mustafi-Holding-Bellerin-Kola-Elneny-Xhaka-Lacazette...all played under Arsène.

Mustafi-Holding-Bellerin-Kola-Elneny-Xhaka-Lacazette-Luiz-Ceballos-Pepe...all payed under Emery.

Most of these players are still getting serious minutes and most let both managers down as they are just not a good group imo, though I do like a few of them though...no coincidence this was the bunch that got us knocked out of the Top Four and our best manager sacked, plus they put us in the mess we are in now.

Our best players this season have been Gabriel and Partey, 2 signings under Mikel (though Willian looks meh) until we get a proper squad turnaround, we won't get much out of this bunch, regardless who is manager.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Trying the “Arsenal man” route. Chelsea and Utd have tried it, they are bigger clubs with bigger ambitions.

United since Fergie left almost 8 years ago now - 4 managers, 1billion and 84 million pounds spent on footballers. CL football twice.

Arsenal since Wenger left 2 and a half years ago - 2 managers, 300 million pounds spent on footballers. No CL football.

Anyone wanting Arteta gone right now look at the statements above. Both clubs had very similar circumstances in terms of managers leaving after being there for a very unique amount of time in regards to football management.

Do you want a rebuild and sustained success or do you want instant success and potential turbulent, chopping and changing years for the next 5 years?

GDeep™

League is very weak
United since Fergie left almost 8 years ago now - 4 managers, 1billion and 84 million pounds spent on footballers. CL football twice.

Arsenal since Wenger left 2 and a half years ago - 2 managers, 300 million pounds spent on footballers. No CL football.

Anyone wanting Arteta gone right now look at the statements above. Both clubs had very similar circumstances in terms of managers leaving after being there for a very unique amount of time in regards to football management.

Do you want a rebuild and sustained success or do you want instant success and potential turbulent, chopping and changing years for the next 5 years?
I don’t want Arteta out.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
If Gerrard can maintain Rangers lead maybe he becomes the dark horse for big clubs next summer. Formation wise looks a decent fit to players we have & a young English core to work with.

boxerumble

Baked Canadian

Im still quite convinced that Arteta is our man. The Champions League is important for us next season, if we get that (and I still think we will), then we will see the real quality of this man.

There should be no talk of sacking unless we are in deep dire straights. That for me translates to Arteta being 27 points, or nine wins away from continuining with us this year.
We gotta score goals first and muster more than a shot on target per game to even think about getting top 4 :lol:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think the job might have been too big for him tbh. Really hard task coming in after the Emery reign and turning it around.

I understand people hated that I was keen on Mourinho last year due to his history with Wenger and the club but it’s the sort of situation I’m sure he’d have turned round.

With him you’re almost willing to take the awful year three if he gives you a pedestal to build upon.

Sp**s were 14 points behind us when they hired him last year yet he turned it round and finished above us. I have no doubt he’d have got us top four last year considering how badly Leicester fell away and Chelsea and Utd were dumpster fires.

The squad isn’t perfect but you could get a workable 4-4-2 out of it I’m sure seen as overall I’d argue Kane and Son aside we have a similar level of squad as Sp*rs.

No real creativity but solid, workmanlike midfielders and some decent CB’s, full backs and keeper and a real goal scorer up front.

As for potential successors, even if they’re not the final answer get someone who can implement a solid system.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I don’t want Arteta out.

First two comments were more to your post than the others. United haven't shown any ambition at all. They've shown that they have no clue, they've shown they have no plan. Money spent isn't the only thing that = ambition in the modern game.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Rebuilding doesnt automatically mean sustained success. Liverpools success will probably last as long as Klopp, Mane, Salah, Van dijk last. What are we talking another 2-3 years. After that someone else who gets the right manager, with the right players and the right mentality will challenge next.

My issue always was. And it was an issue with Thomas. I wanted him but I wanted to know why he was coming here.

If you are a top player. A player who wants to win leagues and compete at the highest level you do not come to Arsenal. So that means your coming for either the lifestyle of London or wages. Or a combination of both.

Where Klopp succeeded was during his difficult moments he had some characters who would run through brick walls not just for him, not just for the fans but for their own pride. Milner, Henderson for example are decent players. But they have qualities that seem to get the best out of others. They demand highest levels of fitness and performance and attitude. When the chips are down you could rely on them to keep things right in the dressing room.

How many players do we have like that. Our captain isnt coming out giving a rallying cry. After the match we see Xhaka with his arm around that clown from Leeds.

Arteta has to do what Lampard and Ole did last season. Find a way to get a team with lots of flaws over the line and then have a decent window bringing in maybe 3 top players.

People saying Arteta needs his own players. But if he is getting 0 out of these players (most who finished 5th under Emery and reached EL final) what's to say hes gonna get performances out of middle of the road players we sign. We dont have the money to buy Werner, Havertz, Chillwell etc like Chelsea. Southampton are above us because their manager is improving the players he has.

Pyres7

My worry is that anyone decent will look at this squad and say no thanks. Either that or they'll want a complete overhaul which is never gonna happen either. Scrapping the deadwood and cutting down our wage bill on players like Özil, Mustafi, Sokratis etc will help, but we don't have the money for significant investment.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Rebuilding doesnt automatically mean sustained success. Liverpools success will probably last as long as Klopp, Mane, Salah, Van dijk last. What are we talking another 2-3 years. After that someone else who gets the right manager, with the right players and the right mentality will challenge next.

My issue always was. And it was an issue with Thomas. I wanted him but I wanted to know why he was coming here.

If you are a top player. A player who wants to win leagues and compete at the highest level you do not come to Arsenal. So that means your coming for either the lifestyle of London or wages. Or a combination of both.

Where Klopp succeeded was during his difficult moments he had some characters who would run through brick walls not just for him, not just for the fans but for their own pride. Milner, Henderson for example are decent players. But they have qualities that seem to get the best out of others. They demand highest levels of fitness and performance and attitude. When the chips are down you could rely on them to keep things right in the dressing room.

How many players do we have like that. Our captain isnt coming out giving a rallying cry. After the match we see Xhaka with his arm around that clown from Leeds.

Arteta has to do what Lampard and Ole did last season. Find a way to get a team with lots of flaws over the line and then have a decent window bringing in maybe 3 top players.

People saying Arteta needs his own players. But if he is getting 0 out of these players (most who finished 5th under Emery and reached EL final) what's to say hes gonna get performances out of middle of the road players we sign. We dont have the money to buy Werner, Havertz, Chillwell etc like Chelsea. Southampton are above us because their manager is improving the players he has.

Klopp has given Liverpool sustained success. Liverpool finished 8th when he joined mid season, he then took them to 4th, CL football, then a CL final, then a CL win, then a league win. That is what you called sustained success from a manager.

Gabriel, Willian and Partey have all said they joined because of Arteta/Edu and the project that was put forward to them.

You seem to be talking about our resilience as a team? But under Arteta I'd say that's the one thing that has drastically improved, Aston Villa game aside. We have looked incredibly resilient and a much harder team to beat overall. So I don't think you can question that.

Klopps style of play is hard pressing. He didn't purchase players that magically played under his spell and turned into warriors overnight. He bought players that were hard working because that's what his style of play demands. Henderson? Engine. Milner? Engine. Robertson? Engine. Wijnaldum? Engine. Just 4 of the first set of players he brought in to define HIS style.

Luckily for Klopp he already had Coutinho and Firmino for the creative part and added Mane to that. In Klopps first season do you not remember some of the shambles of results they endured? 2-0 loss to Burnley, 4-3 loss to Bournemouth, 2-1 loss to Palace, 3-2 loss to Swansea, 2-0 loss to Hull City just to name a few.

The main difference here is Arteta has chosen to fix his defence first, whereas Klopp went for the attack first. Hence why our games are so low scoring for the most part and when we win we scrape a goal. On the flip side most of Liverpools games with Klopp were very high scoring, but they conceded a lot of shoddy goals due to the poor keeper and defence.

You also say well we don't have the money for Werner, Havertz and Chilwell! Simply not true though is it, we can't plead the poverty card anymore. We spent £72M on Pepe, £45M on Partey and £110M combined for Auba and Lacazette. Money is no longer the issue. Chelsea only did what they did this window because they had a transfer ban and Hazard/Morata cash burning a hole in their pockets.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

If the club have sense they'll start to think about this.

They have to be realistic and admit that there is a chance that Arteta is just a rookie manager and not the young hotshot manager who came straight into a big club and competed with the best managers in the world. I mean even reading that, it sounds pretty unrealistic doesn't it?

I hope he gets better but with each passing game we might just have to be realistic about how good a manager he is. Leeds are one of the worst defences in the league and we struggled yet again. We have one (two imo) of the best finishers about and we struggle to get the ball to them, that's meant to be the easy part ffs.

You persist with Arteta and let him realise the potential he's shown but if someone who is good, who's been there and done that is available then you have a ruthless decision to make.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Klopp has given Liverpool sustained success. Liverpool finished 8th when he joined mid season, he then took them to 4th, CL football, then a CL final, then a CL win, then a league win. That is what you called sustained success from a manager.

Gabriel, Willian and Partey have all said they joined because of Arteta/Edu and the project that was put forward to them.

You seem to be talking about our resilience as a team? But under Arteta I'd say that's the one thing that has drastically improved, Aston Villa game aside. We have looked incredibly resilient and a much harder team to beat overall. So I don't think you can question that.

Klopps style of play is hard pressing. He didn't purchase players that magically played under his spell and turned into warriors overnight. He bought players that were hard working because that's what his style of play demands. Henderson? Engine. Milner? Engine. Robertson? Engine. Wijnaldum? Engine. Just 4 of the first set of players he brought in to define HIS style.

Luckily for Klopp he already had Coutinho and Firmino for the creative part and added Mane to that. In Klopps first season do you not remember some of the shambles of results they endured? 2-0 loss to Burnley, 4-3 loss to Bournemouth, 2-1 loss to Palace, 3-2 loss to Swansea, 2-0 loss to Hull City just to name a few.

The main difference here is Arteta has chosen to fix his defence first, whereas Klopp went for the attack first. Hence why our games are so low scoring for the most part and when we win we scrape a goal. On the flip side most of Liverpools games with Klopp were very high scoring, but they conceded a lot of shoddy goals due to the poor keeper and defence.

You also say well we don't have the money for Werner, Havertz and Chilwell! Simply not true though is it, we can't plead the poverty card anymore. We spent £72M on Pepe, £45M on Partey and £110M combined for Auba and Lacazette. Money is no longer the issue. Chelsea only did what they did this window because they had a transfer ban and Hazard/Morata cash burning a hole in their pockets.

And what are we seeing from Arteta that looks like he is the man to bring us sustained success? Our defence has only improved because we no longer attack. It's easy as a boxer not to get hit if you never throw a punch and open up.

If you believe all the players signed here because of Arteta your naive.

One thing I would love to have heard was the conversation between Arteta and Auba. Artetas project he sold to him. Had he said we are going to spend the next year or two focusing on defence and your gonna be hugging the touch line one week or playing as a target man as all we will do is punt hopeful balls up front as we wont commit midfielders to create I wonder would he be playing somewhere different now. I expect so.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

If Gerrard can maintain Rangers lead maybe he becomes the dark horse for big clubs next summer. Formation wise looks a decent fit to players we have & a young English core to work with.

I don't see the logic in that. Managing either Celtic or Rangers is basically a 50% to win the league. I am not knocking him, but surely, what he does with Rangers should have little bearing on managing Arsenal.

Brendan Rodgers on the other hand...

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
What I dont get is what has Arteta shown in the league? I think a lot of people are basing their judgements over Arteta in 1 game against City in the FA cup and one league game against a Liverpool side that were still drunk after winning the league and who gifted us the 2 goals and didnt play at the same intensity as usual.

What has Arteta achieved in the PL? Results were not great at the end of last season. Results this season are pathetic. People saying it's a strange season. Apart from Citys drop of theres nothing strange about it. The teams at the top of the league are ones you would expect. Sp**s, Chelsea, Liverpool, likes of Leciester. No surprised. The teams at the bottom are as expected and those like Newcastle are middle of the road as always.

Artetas progress is based on the league. And from what I have seen he hasnt done anything. Defence improved? Has it really? Conceded 3 against Villa. Leeds had plenty of chances at 11 v 11. We have concede against Sheffield United, leciester, west ham. So we arent conceding 20 shots anymore. Well you dont need to pay someone 5m to fix that. He needs to do more and if he doesnt win against Wolves (which we probably wont) and a defeat to Sp**s and I think it may be time to say adios.

Results not improved.
Performances not improved.
Individual players not improved
Team moral all time low.

The FA cup was the honeymoon. But this is now the marriage and those players dont seem the same players as 3 months ago.

Top Bottom