• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

TriniGunner

Arteta’s man managenent is bloody awful. Not even Mourinho manages to alienate so many players in such a short time.

Disagree. For too long too many players at Arsenal have used this club as a place to do 50% of the effort and collect 100% pay. Past players have also said the same. We need to be a bit more patient with Arteta and I think most of the comments here are just downright embarrassing. He's not a perfect man nor a perfect manager but anyone saying that he hasn't brought the much needed change in the squad is simply not telling the truth. Yes, we're used to free flowing Arsenal football but at this point, we don't have the players to do it. Arteta has also had to deal with a transfer window during a severe economic downturn in football revenues due to a pandemic so you can't really say he's been given the same resources as his predecessors. He knows we aren't scoring and I think eventually it would be resolved.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Or other posters :lol: I appreciate it fellas!

Its true though, people need to look over at Man United and NOT want to replicate that. Since Fergie left in 2013 United have gone through 4 managers and spent 1 billion and 84 million pounds yet their league finishes wouldn't correlate with that spend. 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 6th, 3rd. So incredibly inconsistent and no real structure or rebuild, just a lot of money thrown at different managers and different players. 7 years, over a billion spent, no title and no regular CL football.

Now look at us. Since Wenger left we've spent around £300M, we are now on our second manager and league finishes have been 5th and 8th. £300M spent on footballers in 2 and a half seasons, already two managers in and people are calling for that second managers head already.

We are on the path to replicating United in terms of spend AND managerial changers and that cannot happen.

Its pretty clear Arteta could be great, what do we want as a football club? Do we want to chop and change managers every few years? Spending and wasting stupid money. Or do we want a proper rebuild where this manager grows into something special? I think a lot of people's anger and negativity is driven by the need for instant success.

Couldn't agree more. The parallels between Man Utd post Ferguson and where we're moving post Wenger are definitely there.

To some degree I think it was almost inevitable both clubs were going to go through a period of upheaval and mediocrity when they lost legendary managers with such tenure and overall impact on their clubs. For 23 years Arsène Wenger was Arsenal, his role was way beyond the modern day managers remit.

To me, both Utd and Arsenal had one chance to steady their ships. It was all down to the first managerial appointment post Ferguson and Wenger to set the tone and it was imperative they were good ones. Both Moyes and Emery were ultimately bad appointments and the dominos have continued falling since then.

I'm not trying to paint myself as clever in hindsight but I felt in Wengers later years that Klopp was the guy who could have succeeded Wenger and righted the ship before it went into the full on decline under Emery rather than the stagnation we experienced in Wenger's final years. Part of the reason I stayed pro Wenger was I was scared who would follow him as manager.

We can't go the United route post Ferguson, where's there's managerial change every 2 years and the scattergun approach to signings that comes with that level of upheaval. We just don't have the financial might of Man Utd to do that.

Arteta has a bigger job on his hands than most fans want to admit and I'm going to back him in the short and medium term 100%

Unfortunately the level of success and style of football we played under Wenger has made a significant portion of our fanbase entitled, arrogant and think we deserve success and beautiful football as a right rather than having to earn it.

To quote the great man “If you eat caviar every day it’s difficult to return to sausages.”

We need to get used to eating sausages for a few years, it'll make us appreciate the caviar more when we get it.

Last edited:

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Can't keep changing manager every year, if anything for the sake of actually building a squad that makes sense. You can tell this squad has been built by multiple people, it really needs a vision. You could argue Edu is meant to take care of that but that's up in the air really.

Obviously there are concerns and there is only so bad we can allow it to get but we've not got there yet imo.

JCB

Unfortunately I don't see Arteta turning this around if you decide to manage your players in the way Arteta is doing you need to get results. The players look like they have given up and don't trust him.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
54c7aba72422f0a039f67d9542248a21f76b9540_2_690x445.png

200.gif

Always.

Kysus

Exactly. My biggest grouse against Emery (even before he joined) and now Arteta - this idea of barking instructions to the players constantly from the sidelines. Find it quite annoying.

You could as well setup your playing station and control the players in FIFA that way

He completely killed Pepe tbh
Guy was an absolute baller when he came here, overdid it sometimes of course and gave the ball away too much but man he had skill beating players for fun.
Look at him now...

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Makingtrax wanted him gone for his own reasons like everybody who wanted him gone did. You either wanted him to stay or to go. All the rest is fluff.
Yeah, I did want him to go. It was like watching a kindly Salvation Army worker get a good kicking from the needy because he didn’t give them what they wanted.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Makes me laugh reading Klopp this, Klopp that, if only we’d got Klopp. Like school kid stuff.

Klopp is not a saviour and is only as good as his team. The reason that Liverpool is so good is because the squad is top notch. A) They’ve spent more money on it, thanks to some great business by the transfer team and B) their squad is much better and stronger in depth. They’re bringing on Milner, Shaqiri, Keita seasoned pros, not Willock and Niketiah

Klopp would be nowhere top 4 with Mustafi, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Mari, Cedric, Lacazette and the Chelsea rejects. He’d be tearing his hair out.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Yeah, I did want him to go. It was like watching a kindly Salvation Army worker get a good kicking from the needy because he didn’t give them what they wanted.
:rofl: I think I’ve actually seen that happen before, but that’s another story.

Yeah but you also used to keep saying that it was only a game etc and playing down the importance of the club doing well, so it’s always surprising to see you so upset about how it all panned out. As I say, this is what you wanted!

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

Nice analogy, well done. As we all know, the Salvation Army didn't solve any problems, they only papered over the cracks of a system they depended on and worked to perpetuate.

Malky

Established Member
Talking out your butthole a little bit here bro.

Under Emery even when we were winning we were never in control of games. I've seen more in our games under Arteta than I did under Emery, that guy was scraping results from the very beginning. People pull out stats from their arses on Emery vs Arteta, but the fact is Emery was shocking from the get go and it only got worse not better.

Arteta needs this full season, no manager in world football is fixing the issues we currently have straight away, give him this season. If the season is a massive failure then of course you start to look elsewhere.
Emery was scraping results from the start?
Despite being a poor coach he still had the team scoring, a combined, 14 goals against Bournemouth, Fulham and Everton in his full season. Even the following season, at the same 9 game stage we'd scored more goals and were on better points, despite playing Pool away, United away and Sp**s at home.
What way are we controlling games right now? Only game we've really had control in was United and even then we were lucky, because if it wasn't for the pen we weren't leaving there with 3 points.
Our next run of league games is worrying, Wolves, Sp**s, Burnley, Southampton, Everton and Chelsea, out of them I feel like we could maybe get a result from Wolves and Burnley, the rest? Worrying.

Reactions: JCB

Moah

I have come to the realization that I was never an Arsenal fan but a fan of Wengerball and the man himself.

I'm not a Londoner nor am I even English or European, there lies nothing that ties me to this club other than the football I saw when I was a kid. It was artistic and mesmerizing.

And now this, a crap football with an amateur manager who came in to fill a shoe five times his size.

I get the talk of rebuild but this is not it. I want the football to build from excitement, not from absolute ****e with the hope of a turnaround. I don't care how many managers it will take but I want to see the kind of football I saw under Wenger.

If there ever was a need for a non-negotiable it should have been our football.

stiiphunn

Established Member
Arteta should be given time. That's the only way we're going to rebuild something at this club.

But he hasn't been doing a great job so far. He lifted the club at the beginning and it seems as if players are behind him. But the football is dire and the results are average. It's painful to watch.

He's good with the press, communicates well - and he should keep that up - but let's see if he can deliver on the pitch.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Football manager by name football manager by nature.
Then who would you replace from the below?
We need to start playing our best eleven.

————————Martinelli—————————
—Willian—————————————Pepe—
————Saka——Partey——Ceballos————
—Tierney—Gabriel——Saliba—Bellerin——
——————————Leno——————————

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

:rofl: I think I’ve actually seen that happen before, but that’s another story.

Yeah but you also used to keep saying that it was only a game etc and playing down the importance of the club doing well, so it’s always surprising to see you so upset about how it all panned out. As I say, this is what you wanted!
That’s a twisted version of our discussions bro. :lol: You mean I was happy with top 4, Champions League, exciting football and lots of FA Cups. Too right. That wasn’t good enough for you. Oh no. The mighty Arsenal should be beating clubs outspending them 10 times. :lol: Well how’s it working out?

moloso

Arteta should be given time. That's the only way we're going to rebuild something at this club.

But he hasn't been doing a great job so far. He lifted the club at the beginning and it seems as if players are behind him. But the football is dire and the results are average. It's painful to watch.

He's good with the press, communicates well - and he should keep that up - but let's see if he can deliver on the pitch.

Exactly, compare this with latter day Emery where he was fooling himself with his teamsheet every week and the players looked like they didn't know what they were even trying to implement.

We've got a team that has had a shocking mentality since Wenger frankly. Most of the players are the same and have been found wanting long before Arteta came in. When it looks like hes getting desperate and starting to appease outside voices then we've got a problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom