• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

akhil

its very rare that V shaped recoveries happen. We hit bottom and are slowly recovering. There may be a few iffy seasons.

Recoveries happen quickly, depends on the people leading. This is downside of the Kroenke's ownership style, hard course correction is a big decision and club hierarchy are all novices in their positions. Might be a while before the ownership actually gets involved. Took them 5 years to get rid of Jeff Fischer at the Rams who had a very mediocre record the entire time. Sean McVay's success post Fischer probably a decent reason why they trusted Arteta in the first place.

In the shorter term, Wenger has managed to pull us back from similar slumps in form. But that was Wenger, he's never thrown anyone under the bus publicly as far as I can remember and would go to great lengths to defend his players. Arteta just did it to Pepe now, following Özil and Douzi. The players are going to be more wary about getting called out or dropped in the future now seeing the pattern emerging.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Oh everyone knows he made all the decisions that worked out and everyone else made the decisions that fvcked us. I'm getting it slowly!
It was only you and your mates that decided 2nd place in the prem was the equivalent of you being ****ed. :lol: Wonder what you're calling being 11th?

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
It's not though, players seems robotic week in week out as to what they do on the pitch. Every week for the last couple of months it's been the same crap without any improvements or changes. People keep complaining of the players not being good enough, but these guys aren't championship level or anything. We've barely made an impression in any game so far this season bar Fulham who will most likely be relegated. The scorelines against EL opposition has also mostly been extremely generous.

This is the worst I've seen these players play; Xhaka,Laca, Pepe, Auba, Willian, (don't know if it's just decline but 4 months ago he looked far better than this). Even players he's supposedly improved like Ceballos, are playing rubbish and do nothing but the sideways crap. I can't see anyone who's measurably improved under him. Our attackers are starved for any service and support.

Let's put it this way, the only time we've looked worse is right before Emery got the sack. We're rubbish with our actual tactics and quite frankly we look to stop the opposition play, not against teams better than us but with mid to lower table teams. That's cowardly quite frankly, we have a budget and wage bill that's in a different planet to most of these teams and we play like the underdogs in a cup tie in every game.
Our static, predictable and robotic movements have been there before Arteta arrived. We've been crying out for a more rigid manager and now that we have one who has improved us defensively so far, we dont want to give him time to fix the rest. The players are to be blamed as well. I remember at one point Tierney had the ball and had to be telling Willian to make a run forward. I just feel like if the manager has to be talking so much its because the players are not doing something they should be doing.

akhil

Our static, predictable and robotic movements have been there before Arteta arrived. We've been crying out for a more rigid manager and now that we have one who has improved us defensively so far, we dont want to give him time to fix the rest. The players are to be blamed as well. I remember at one point Tierney had the ball and had to be telling Willian to make a run forward. I just feel like if the manager has to be talking so much its because the players are not doing something they should be doing.

It's not really improving defensively if you never attack and you have everyone behind the ball most of the match.

Don't care about animated managers on the touchline, there's plenty of them. But he's micromanaging individual actions on the ball, not about the shape and missed assignments in tracking.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

The crazy thing to me is that this guy played for Wenger and coached under Pep and doesn't seem to understand the most basic principles of attacking football. We have one midfielder who can actually carry the ball in Partey, yet he's instructing our midfielders who can't dribble to save their lives to commit a man by taking needless touches before making a pass. All that does is let the opposition drop back and get into their banks whilst keeping everything comfortably in front of them.

Am I worried about Xhaka dribbling past me into space? No. So all that happens is he dithers on the ball, I'm able to press while my teammates just sit on any outlet he may have (and they're all stationary and easy to mark) and then I've got the perfect conditions to win the ball and quickly counter. The same goes for Ceballos who retains the ball better than Xhaka but also has zero pace and worse, has zero strength.

It's basically impossible to create chances consistently with the combination of tactics and personnel he's deploying. Even if the other team were actually to overcommit to one of the central midfielders as he apparently intends, there are no consequences for it because there are no concurrent runs into the theoretically vacated space that should now be available to them. The whole thing is just disjointed and stupid.

Reactions: JCB

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We've had a lot of barbs thrown at us in recent years, but static, robotic movement wasn't one of them.

say yes

forum master baiter
Can’t wait for the day Arsenal mania realises that a new manager can’t just fix everything overnight.

The attack is dire at the moment but it will improve.

We’re heading in the right direction, but the transition is tricky and Arteta is still a brand-new manager learning with every day. He’s going to make mistakes and their are going to be plenty more painful moments this season. Stop being babies.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Can’t wait for the day Arsenal mania realises that a new manager can’t just fix everything overnight.

We’re heading in the right direction, but the transition is tricky and Arteta is still a brand-new manager learning with every day. He’s going to make mistakes and their are going to be plenty more painful moments this season. Stop being babies.

I agree with this but if those Orbinho stars are true, why isn't Arteta sorting it out at half time? He was a CM ffs, how is he allowing a whole game to go by without our CMs passing to each other with an frequency?

I don't get what we're trying to do.

Kysus

Not really sure what this means or if it’s necessarily a bad thing but it’s just so weird. :lol:
Pretty simple, we booted every ball long because we were scared by the press from a promoted side.
The fear in our players was ridiculous, zero attempt to play football.
Against a promoted side, as Arsenal FC.

Totally against what Arteta seemed to try to implement here.

Kysus

Overnight?
We were much better 6 months ago and are going totally backwards this season.

From confidently playing it out from the back vs City(and scoring a beautiful goal from it), pressing Liverpool high and forcing them into errors to booting every ball long and losing every 1st and 2nd ball vs Leeds.

akhil

What direction is that? We've had a good summer I'd say but our performances have been dire and getting worse.

What does the rookie manager excuse buy him though? Is it ok to finish in the bottom half of the table come May? Cause that's where we are right now and we have a nightmare schedule up until March and injuries are piling up. Is it ok to be knocked out early by some no name team in the EL?

Last edited:

FreakySami

Do you guys remember when we were criticized for sometimes trying to walk it in the net... We can't even get to the point of doing that now :/.

Smart ass comment aside, I do not think we played bad defensively and we did well at 10 vs 11 more than 11 vs 11 because players WERE ALLOWED to actually play with the ball and attempt "dangerous passes". I'm thinking of belerin to saka and saka to auba.

We also played using long balls this game and not always from the back. I think that's good if you have a Giroud or Sagna, I'm not sure you can make that work with Auba, Pepe or Saka.

All in all, Arteta needs to keep his principles in big games because we need that compactness. Against anybody bar chelsea, city, the **** and liverpool, he needs to give the team freedom to express. This has become seriously underwhelming in terms of performance, entertainment and team morale. I have not seen a team this boring in so long and we have AMAZING players. up front.

I won't talk about midfield because we are missing that technicien there along side Partey, a number 10 or a smart player that can play up front and in between the lines. The players are less technical with the ball in the middle and it shows (besides Partey and Özil but I do not want to talk about him).

Let's not kid ourselves, this will get worse before it gets better.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Pretty simple, we booted every ball long because we were scared by the press from a promoted side.
The fear in our players was ridiculous, zero attempt to play football.
Against a promoted side, as Arsenal FC.

Totally against what Arteta seemed to try to implement here.
100% backed up by Bellerin's statements about how hard they are to play against despite half of their matches seeing them absolutely battered since they leave enormous gaps at the back.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
4nlzl1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom