• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Feels like we'd be doing better if Arteta just told them to go out and play...

This the rigidity that gave us solidity has become a prison

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
All I’ve been trying to say this whole time. Crap on the roster all you like but there’s literally no excuse for some of the stuff we’ve seen.

I’m all for giving Arteta time and more transfer windows if he can’t be bothered to make some of these players work, but some of the stuff I’ve seen in his defence is ridiculous.

I back Arteta and want him to be given a lot more time but I also want him to sort out quite a lot of what he's been doing:

• Man management
  • Turgid style
  • Dropping some and playing others

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Feels like we'd be doing better if Arteta just told them to go out and play...

This the rigidity that gave us solidity has become a prison

Very similar to what Ole did when he first took over United. Took the proverbial handbrake off. The players started to express themselves and got results.

All Arteta had to do is tweak a few things, put abit of fire in the bellys and this team should have been able to finish 6/7th last season.

Nobody can use squad as an excuse for being below the likes of Palace and Soton.

I could even accept it if we were sitting behind Chelsea, City, Lpool, United, Sp**s and Leciester. A few points of them. But to 8 points behind Sp**s at this stage is unthinkable. And below the other inferior teams.

People say we wont fall that far but come Christmas we could be sitting just above the relegation zone and that is no exaggeration. No chance of top 4 slim change of EL. Pinning our hopes on cup competitions. Na not for me.

GoonerJay24

Our attacking output so far this season is shockingly bad! We lack so much offensive work rate and generally lack playing patterns in the final-third that facilitate goalscoring opportunities. This stuff was bread and butter when Arsène was at the helm.

I am not Arteta out at the moment because he's won trophies and was my favourite ever Arsenal captain. However he needs to really self-reflect to realize how he's setting the team up currently isn't yielding the desired results.

In home matches against inferior opposition like West ham, Brom and Fulham; the system has to be 442, two strikers in the box and give players that license to express themselves. Sure, against tougher opponents change things to make the team harder to beat in these matches. He must get the balance right and quickly given how challenging our upcoming fixtures are, otherwise it could be a madness!

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Our attacking output so far this season is shockingly bad! We lack so much offensive work rate and generally lack playing patterns in the final-third that facilitate goalscoring opportunities. This stuff was bread and butter when Arsène was at the helm.

I am not Arteta out at the moment because he's won trophies and was my favourite ever Arsenal captain. However he needs to really self-reflect to realize how he's setting the team up currently isn't yielding the desired results.

In home matches against inferior opposition like West ham, Brom and Fulham; the system has to be 442, two strikers in the box and give players that license to express themselves. Sure, against tougher opponents change things to make the team harder to beat in these matches. He must get the balance right and quickly given how challenging our upcoming fixtures are, otherwise it could be a madness!
Isn’t arteta right man Steve round who was with Moyes at United and they played their worst football in the pl with those two. Arteta for years played under Moyes as well. It’s clear that’s who he is trying to emulate

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
There's no point even looking at our league position at the moment. We've had a very tough fixture list so far. If we're bottom half 2/3rd's of the way through the season then fair enough, start panicking.

Any Arsenal side of the past 5 years would have got beaten away at Liverpool and Man City and probably would have lost or drawn against United away and Leicester at home. How long was it since we'd beaten a top 6 side away from home before the Man Utd game recently? 5 years or 26 games. Keep a bit of perspective about it all.

Criticism of the Villa result is fair enough, that wasn't acceptable.

Last edited:

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Not Arteta out but again plenty of questions.

I mean I'm just trying to following the thinking here. How can we have no midfield? I'm sorry but Xhaka and Ceballos simply aren't as bad as they've looked.

Sure they aren't the greatest but the way we set up is flat, no buzz, no energy when we attack. Jesus, wasn't Arteta a midfielder? Why isn't there any emphasis in that area and why don't we get Ceballos or Xhaka into dangerous areas? Why aren't we playing any quick one-twos in the midfield, not even attempting it. Why aren't we creating triangles? Why is there no attacking movements to draw out the opposition?

Additionally we play a low block, but also want to play slow possession build up? How the f*ck are we meant to create chances when we pass so slowly but also don't want to commit men forward or pin the opposition back? Surely the two don't really mix.

You either press high and squeeze out the opposition in which slow passing works.

Or if you decide to play a low block you MUST counter quickly otherwise you give the opposition too much time to reorganise.

Yet we never camp out in the opposition half but also pass the ball the slowest I've seen? Absolutely bemusing almost fraudulent stuff.

We had the balance so much better when Arteta first joined, then we lost by three to City and he's played this weird conservative football since and basically nobody is good enough (Gabi aside) to play his preferred system which simply is not true.

Honestly Arteta needs to get a clue, cos cautious aint going anywhere quickly.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
There's no point even looking at our league position at the moment. We've had a very tough fixture list so far. If we're bottom half 2/3rd's of the way through the season then fair enough, start panicking.

Any Arsenal side of the past 5 years would have got beaten away at Liverpool and Man City and probably would have lost or drawn against United away and Leicester at home. How long was it since we'd beaten a top 6 side away from home before the Man Utd game recently? 5 years or 26 games. Keep a bit of perspective about it all.

Criticism of the Villa result is fair enough, that wasn't acceptable.

Lost or drawn to Leicester at home? That’s a massive reach. In the last 5 years the only time we’ve dropped points at home to Leicester is in the two games Arteta has been in charge.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Lost or drawn to Leicester at home? That’s a massive reach. In the last 5 years the only time we’ve dropped points at home to Leicester is in the two games Arteta has been in charge.

You're right, my mistake. I still wouldn't call Leicester beating us at home as exactly a shock result though. They're a good side, though you'd probably expect us to edge them out more often than not.

Kav

Established Member
They are all crap didn’t you know.

Leeds, Villa, Southampton and Brighton have much better squads to play their attacking football.
Lol. I hear your sarcasm. Sad thing if any of them finish above us.

I will have to seriously reconsider how I support Arsenal if we finish anywhere between 6-12. The club just has constantly let me down the last decade or so. I knew we had to give them some time after the stadium move but my, it seems like every year there is some big issue preventing us from taking things forward or to another level.

I no longer enjoy watching us play and that’s a very big worry for me.

wehave a decent defence, but we been riding our luck. I cant see us having top 5 defences in the league by the end of it. Will probably concede 47-50 goals
We have two top defenders in Gabriel and Tierney and fairly decent ones in Bellerin, Luiz and Holding,. A central CM pairing of a beast CM and a decent one in Elneny covering. The defence is decent because most of the defensive players are at the very least decent. Unless you refer to how he chooses to tell his number nine and top scorer last season to defend 60 percent of the game.

scytheavatar

Established Member
We have two top defenders in Gabriel and Tierney and fairly decent ones in Bellerin, Luiz and Holding,. A central CM pairing of a beast CM and a decent one in Elneny covering. The defence is decent because most of the defensive players are at the very least decent. Unless you refer to how he chooses to tell his number nine and top scorer last season to defend 60 percent of the game.

Your standards are low, we have two decent defenders in Gabriel and Tierney and fairly mediocre ones in Bellerin, Luiz and Holding,...... even the past it Kos that played for us in 2018/19 would probably be better than any of our current center backs.

Your standards are low, we have two decent defenders in Gabriel and Tierney and fairly mediocre ones in Bellerin, Luiz and Holding,...... even the past it Kos that played for us in 2018/19 would probably be better than any of our current center backs.
No they are not. Put Gabriel in a Liverpool shirt and you'd appreciate him more. I don't see how the defenders at Chelsea are better than what we got but they still manage to get clean sheets. Imo none of those defenders are mediocre. The coaching, however!

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

No they are not. Put Gabriel in a Liverpool shirt and you'd appreciate him more. I don't see how the defenders at Chelsea are better than what we got but they still manage to get clean sheets. Imo none of those defenders are mediocre. The coaching, however!
gabriel is young promising cab. He is not top defender yet and is still learning his trade. Player for player there are atleast 6 teams with better individual defenders in the league

gabriel is young promising cab. He is not top defender yet and is still learning his trade. Player for player there are atleast 6 teams with better individual defenders in the league
I think he is young but very good. Sort of like what Verane was when he first came up. I am intrigued by your list though. Would you be kind to name them?

Top Bottom