• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 241 84.3%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Having listened to the Saliba interview, I'm more inclined to believe that Arteta's concerns about his readiness may have been legitimate but along with that more concerned at Arteta and Edu's ineptitude in securing a loan for him in the summer window. He should have been sent back to St Etienne immediately if that was the case. There's no way of looking at this and absolving Arteta and Edu of botching this on some level.

Last edited:

Jae

Wait, so Saliba himself admits he wasn't ready, yet people still use not playing Saliba as a reason to can Arteta? AM seems to twist facts to fit agendas

Doesn't fit the agenda though does it? Like @Batman said though. Arteta and Edu definitely screwed his loan up but to make out like it's some sort of witch hunt and that Arteta wants him out is silly.

If people would have got their way, we'd have been playing Saliba when he wasn't ready and if he wasn't performing they'd be moaning and giving him a hard time and then probably blaming Arteta for playing him anyway. :lol: Catch 22

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Wait, so Saliba himself admits he wasn't ready, yet people still use not playing Saliba as a reason to can Arteta? AM seems to twist facts to fit agendas
I think most people trust in Artetas judgement that he wasn`t ready. The disaster was ****ing up his loan and then not even registering him for EL-games against Molde and Dundalk, meaning he hasn`t played football in close to a year. That`s the issue here and that awful managment by Edu and Arteta.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Having listened to the Saliba interview, I'm more inclined to believe that Arteta's concerns about his readiness may have been legitimate but along with that more concerned at Arteta and Edu's ineptitude in securing a loan for him in the summer window. He should have been sent back to St Etienne immediately if that was the case. There's no way of looking at this and absolving Arteta and Edu of botching this on some level.

Maybe it was due to the money they felt they were owed. Should have offered him to other clubs though. Think it may have been a case where we put all our eggs in one basket.

Batman

Maybe it was due to the money they felt they were owed. Should have offered him to other clubs though. Think it may have been a case where we put all our eggs in one basket.
That's fair but as you say, have a contingency then. I cannot for the life of me imagine that a talent like that would have been short of suitors on loan, especially in the covid market.

scytheavatar

Established Member

If 2 seasons in the Ligue 1 isn't enough to make Saliba "ready" I question what the point of another season on loan in the Ligue 1 is. It sounds like to me that we should keep Saliba close to us and make sure he improves on his fundamentals in training before sending him out on loan again.

Batman

If 2 seasons in the Ligue 1 isn't enough to make Saliba "ready" I question what the point of another season on loan in the Ligue 1 is. It sounds like to me that we should keep Saliba close to us and make sure he improves on his fundamentals in training before sending him out on loan again.
The implication was the he wasn't physically ready due to having been unable to train properly during covid and that was still an issue in pre season with us. Also, given that he was injured for a lot of what was supposed to have been his loan season at St. Etienne they wanted to get him that game time. I've never had a problem with that. Once that loan fell through however and he was kept here, rotting rather than getting reps and plying his trade, then I have an issue. I don't mind sending him elsewhere to get consistent play and match fitness if Arteta doesn't feel he can give him those opportunities this year. I do very much mind potentially alienating a player and flat out failing to manage an asset properly. As far as just keeping him here and letting him train, what does that accomplish? There's no substitute for actual game intensity and competition. He needs to play games that matter. That's what was so frustrating about these last few months, if he's not ready then send him somewhere to get ready.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

So a rookie manager with 0 experience under his belt is ready to lead Arsenal, but at the same time that same manager is telling youngsters they're not ready. Can't make it up.
I need Wenger and Arteta to meet up for dinner or something.

Arteta sees Wenger arrive and goes for a hug and Wenger just slaps him saying “what the literal f*ck are you playing at?”

He’s behaving so weirdly man. Someone needs to just shake him a bit.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I think most people trust in Artetas judgement that he wasn`t ready. The disaster was ****ing up his loan and then not even registering him for EL-games against Molde and Dundalk, meaning he hasn`t played football in close to a year. That`s the issue here and that awful managment by Edu and Arteta.
I certainly don't. The man has been playing Willian all season. Does Willian look ready to you?

Elite Smarts

Gouendizi 🤦‍♂️
If it were that easy, Grealish wouldn't still be at Villa in his mid twenties. All these teams shop in the same markets.

Ziyech is a crock, you'll see the amount of appearances he will finish with this season - there was a reason for his price tag along with his contract length.

I personally think we sign talents too early and ruin them, so in theory it doesn't really matter what we spend, they just come here and die unless they have an elite mindset which is hard to scout.

Saliba is a prime example, not that he's ruined, but he would have been better off at Nice for the next 4-5 years, but then we wouldn't be able to afford him by then - you can't really win.
I disagree, it be waste of time for him to stay at Nice for next 4-5 years. Maybe Arsenal isn't the right club but still other good clubs he could continue his devolpment.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
“My first six months were difficult, because I was coming from six months where I wasn’t able to train because I was at home and couldn’t train outside, couldn’t play,” said Saliba at his Nice unveiling on Friday.

“I arrived there as they were finishing the league season, so I was training alone. As soon as they came back from holidays, we quickly had the first friendly matches where I lacked rhythm and was a bit insufficient physically.

“The coach immediately told me that I was not ready. I would have at least liked to have a chance to rediscover my rhythm. But this is football, it’s like that.”

Sounds like he doesn’t agree with Arteta and wanted to play.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
I need Wenger and Arteta to meet up for dinner or something.

Arteta sees Wenger arrive and goes for a hug and Wenger just slaps him saying “what the literal f*ck are you playing at?”

He’s behaving so weirdly man. Someone needs to just shake him a bit.

:lol::lol:

Would Arteta flop like Mou?

Latest posts+

Top Bottom