• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It's easy to say someone signed a contract, they're legally entitled to see it out. That's 100% true.

There's also the moral / ethical expectation that someone who makes obscene amounts of money kicking a football around should be focused and motivated 100% to give their all for the duration of the contract. That's clearly not been the case with Özil.

As fans of Arsenal Football Club the vast majority of people are going to be pissed off at Özil for being a lazy slacker. Doesn't mean he's not legally entitled to see out his contract. But it's not something to be celebrated.

Stan Kroenke isn't paying his contract. Ultimately we as fans largely are, through match day revenue, merch, we as fans fund the TV rights deals that give the clubs so much money. We've got a right to be pissed. That's £350k a week that could have gone to much better use over the previous 3 years.

Last edited:

Finesse

If he needed the money and his employer could afford it, maybe. But he doesnt need the money and we have financial problems. Its just cvntish behaviour from a man that only care about money.

Are you his wealth manager or financial adviser to know he does not need the money ? He is an employee and owed money as per a contract. Period. His services are available if you need it on the pitch. If you decide otherwise it’s your prerogative. For now just keep paying the salary.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
He has all rights to see through the contract. But next time he posts stuff about how much he loves football or how much he adores the club, no one is going to take him seriously. He will be bashed by most fans and rightly so. The guy mentally retired ever since he got that contract.

If he wants to go to another club and still be paid by us, we should just block the transfer and let him sit at home for the remaining 6 months because...... we have a contract.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
"Mesut agreed to reduce the 8m payment..."

Now wants £7, 999, 999 instead (plus £1)

gamechannel

He has all rights to see through the contract. But next time he posts stuff about how much he loves football or how much he adores the club, no one is going to take him seriously. He will be bashed by most fans and rightly so. The guy mentally retired ever since he got that contract.

If he wants to go to another club and still be paid by us, we should just block the transfer and let him sit at home for the remaining 6 months because...... we have a contract.

Not really. If your current employer has been trying to screw you over for 3 out of 3 years of your current contract and trying to force you out, you would be happy to move on to other clubs as long as you screw your current employer for every penny just cuz the way they've treated you. Özil is basically not willing to give this board any break on the salary he's owed cuz he doesn't like the way they've gone about conducting business. Fair play to him. I'd do the same if I had to deal with ****s like Raul, Vinai, Edu, Emery and Arteta.

And for those comparing Özil to Sanchez and Mikhi, totally different situations. Sanchez was given ample opportunities at ManU. His firm had dropped ridiculously badly and he had long injury layoffs too. The club had better replacements and there was no opportunities for him to cement a place in the team. He knew it was time to move on. Mikhi struggled to cement a fulltime starting role since day one at the club and we had to pay him to let him go. Özil, on the other hand, was being screwed over by the new regime fresh on the back of signing a new contract. The club tried all tricks in the book to force him to leave despite not bringing in a single player better than him that would push him down the pecking order. It was purely political just to get him off the wage bill.

Its different situations all together.

Last edited:

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Not really. If your current employer has been trying to screw you over for 3 out of 3 years of your current contract and trying to force you out, you would be happy to move on to other clubs as long as you screw your current employer for every penny just cuz the way they've treated you. Özil is basically not willing to give this board any break on the salary he's owed cuz he doesn't like the way they've gone about conducting business. Fair play to him. I'd do the same if I had to deal with ****s like Raul, Vinai, Edu, Emery and Arteta.
First of all, he was told that he was not part of the plans last summer. Any decent player who wants to play would have taken the hint and left the club to play football. Instead if you want to stay back, what is the club expected to do? Bend over?
Alright, let us assume the club was wrong in the way they treated him. A footballer's career is already short. Which player who loves football and wants to shine in the career will waste one whole year sitting at home instead of making a move to a club where he will get some playing time? Wasting a year in his career for the sake of revenge doesn't really sound like a wise decision to me.

gamechannel

First of all, he was told that he was not part of the plans last summer. Any decent player who wants to play would have taken the hint and left the club to play football. Instead if you want to stay back, what is the club expected to do? Bend over?
Alright, let us assume the club was wrong in the way they treated him. A footballer's career is already short. Which player who loves football and wants to shine in the career will waste one whole year sitting at home instead of making a move to a club where he will get some playing time? Wasting a year in his career for the sake of revenge doesn't really sound like a wise decision to me.

Its OK to be told you're not part of the plans but its not OK to have your reputation tanked by calling you lazy, only releasing your name as one of the pay cut rejectors, not selecting you in match day squads by questioning your attitude in training publicly, publicly saying that the decision to not play you is a board decision etc. By the way, Ozils agent has come out and clarified that he was not told he was not going to be registered and Özil was told he could fight for his place. So its all good that you're siding with with this board and this manager, but history suggest these are political hacks with piss poor man management skills.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Its OK to be told you're not part of the plans but its not OK to have your reputation tanked by calling you lazy, only releasing your name as one of the pay cut rejectors, not selecting you in match day squads by questioning your attitude in training publicly, publicly saying that the decision to not play you is a board decision etc. By the way, Ozils agent has come out and clarified that he was not told he was not going to be registered and Özil was told he could fight for his place. So its all good that you're siding with with this board and this manager, but history suggest these are political hacks with piss poor man management skills.
When did Arteta called him lazy? Arteta has been as polite as possible in this matter when he was asked in the interviews. I don't see any other way to answer questions on a player who is paid so much but doesn't make it to the squad. We could have faked some injury news. But can't do that too when Özil is active on social media tweeting about how he is fit and ready for the game, can we?

Even if Arteta did call him lazy indirectly, I don't see anything wrong with calling it out. He is not the first person to say that. Even Emery said the same about him. No one is immune to criticism in anyway.

Özil was not played ever since we came back from the lockdown. Then he enters the final year in his contract. For some reason, he doesn't understand that he is not part of the plans? Even if what his agent told is true, one has to be super stupid to believe he was going to be played after that. We are just seeing two entities using all their powers to get the best possible outcome from the situation. Neither is a saint.

Right now, I am neither a fan of Arteta nor a fan for the board. Arteta has a long way to go before he goes into my favourites list. Just because I am against Özil, it doesn't make me a fan of them. Stop with this us vs them mentality.

Moleque

I respect Özil even more after all this news! Standing man!
Businessman first
Social media influencer second
Footballer third, at best, more likely fourth or fifth.

At his level of wealth, there is a greatly diminishing marginal utility for money.
At his age there is a quickly diminishing timeframe to play at the professional level.
Odd that he chooses to go after that last dollar, which means very little at this point, unless playing football means even less.
Either way, buyer beware (Fener or DC United).

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
That's £350k a week that could have gone to much better use over the previous 3 years.

That sounds like a club problem, not an Özil problem. The ethics and morals thing is your opinion. If you're going to watch another man's pocket then you should be focusing on the bigger pocket, imo.

gamechannel

When did Arteta called him lazy? Arteta has been as polite as possible in this matter when he was asked in the interviews. I don't see any other way to answer questions on a player who is paid so much but doesn't make it to the squad. We could have faked some injury news. But can't do that too when Özil is active on social media tweeting about how he is fit and ready for the game, can we?

Even if Arteta did call him lazy indirectly, I don't see anything wrong with calling it out. He is not the first person to say that. Even Emery said the same about him. No one is immune to criticism in anyway.

Özil was not played ever since we came back from the lockdown. Then he enters the final year in his contract. For some reason, he doesn't understand that he is not part of the plans? Even if what his agent told is true, one has to be super stupid to believe he was going to be played after that. We are just seeing two entities using all their powers to get the best possible outcome from the situation. Neither is a saint.

Right now, I am neither a fan of Arteta nor a fan for the board. Arteta has a long way to go before he goes into my favourites list. Just because I am against Özil, it doesn't make me a fan of them. Stop with this us vs them mentality.

Didn't your pal, Arteta keep saying to media at the start if this season that everyone has a clean slate including Özil? So what happened there? Stop reaching dude.. this board has been utter ****s and there is no denying it.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Didn't your pal, Arteta keep saying to media at the start if this season that everyone has a clean slate including Özil? So what happened there? Stop reaching dude.. this board has been utter ****s and there is no denying it.
I just mentioned I am not a fan of Arteta either. When a player like Guendouzi can take a loan move to get playing time, what is stopping Özil from doing the same? You could call the club whatever you want. In the end, they are running a business and they just handled it the way any business would handle an over-paid employee who is not of any use to the business anymore. They are being ****s. Yes. But Özil is not a saint either. He has tried to milk the situation as much as possible while acting like a morally superior person who absolutely loves football and club in social media.

Finesse

Your analogy has no leg to stand on. Your first 2 sentences finished you off. If we were Liverpool or City or United based on the current PL table that would be palatable. Arsenal tell a player he is not part of their plans ? Where is Arsenal sitting on the table now? Who made that decision he is not part of the plan? We are currently hanging on the thin thread of a teenager ESR to play the role of a player who we advised was never part of our plans. Yesterday the Manager and players claimed we drew because the missed the creativity of a LB ? How lower can we go? Funny enough the player who they banked on to replace him is Willian. Tell me how that has gone. I do not need to address the rest of your statements.

Making absolutely ridiculous statements based on assumptions and not facts. If we were high flying and replaced Mesut in the team , then any discussions about him not part of the plans would have been justified.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
It's easy to say someone signed a contract, they're legally entitled to see it out. That's 100% true.

There's also the moral / ethical expectation that someone who makes obscene amounts of money kicking a football around should be focused and motivated 100% to give their all for the duration of the contract. That's clearly not been the case with Özil.

As fans of Arsenal Football Club the vast majority of people are going to be pissed off at Özil for being a lazy slacker. Doesn't mean he's not legally entitled to see out his contract. But it's not something to be celebrated.

Stan Kroenke isn't paying his contract. Ultimately we as fans largely are, through match day revenue, merch, we as fans fund the TV rights deals that give the clubs so much money. We've got a right to be pissed. That's £350k a week that could have gone to much better use over the previous 3 years.

True and I could quite easily have given you a like. As I've pointed out before, we gave Özil a new contract when Alexis was leaving. There were very few fans who thought it was a bad idea at the time because the thought of losing them both in one window was too much to bare. If Alexis wasn't leaving, Özil would never have got £350k p/wk.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I'm morally outraged that all our players with a lot of money aren't just forgoing some of their wages to show their love to Arsenal. We could afford an AM if they would all just give back 50%

Morally reprehensible bunch

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
I'm morally outraged that all our players with a lot of money aren't just forgoing some of their wages to show their love to Arsenal. We could afford an AM if they would all just give back 50%

Morally reprehensible bunch

To be fair most of them accepted paycuts. Not Özil of course but the majority did.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
Are you his wealth manager or financial adviser to know he does not need the money ? He is an employee and owed money as per a contract. Period. His services are available if you need it on the pitch. If you decide otherwise it’s your prerogative. For now just keep paying the salary.

Unless you are a complete idiot you know that this very rich man doesnt need the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I started clapping myself... until I realised that I was Sunderland's manager.

Peter Reid after Bergkamp's goal against Sunderland.
Top Bottom