• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Honestly I've never seen any evidence that Gazidis was responsible for signings.

Statdna was his no? I really don’t think we had any transfer guy in charge from when Dein left until Sven came tbh.

Get the feeling that Rowley, Cagigao, Ivan, the data analysts and Wenger would sit round a table until they’d agreed every aspect and then fly **** Law out to negotiate.

I doubt Wenger had much free time for scouting targets with how many hats he’d have to wear.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Wenger had more say than pretty much any manager in the PL over who was brought in.

StatDNA or whatever it's calling itself now definitely played it's part but I can't believe a player was brought in without at least Arsène giving it the okay.

I'm reading a biography of Brian Clough and in retirement looking back on his career he said the first thing that went for him was an ability to judge potential signings. You make a few bad decisions as you get older then you start second guessing yourself and lose confidence in your judgement.

I think Wenger might have been starting to go through that the last few years to be honest.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Wenger had more say than pretty much any manager in the PL over who was brought in.

StatDNA or whatever it's calling itself now definitely played it's part but I can't believe a player was brought in without at least Arsène giving it the okay.

I'm reading a biography of Brian Clough and in retirement looking back on his career he said the first thing that went for him was an ability to judge potential signings. You make a few bad decisions as you get older then you start second guessing yourself and lose confidence in your judgement.

I think Wenger might have been starting to go through that the last few years to be honest.

Don’t know if that’s true. Harry Redknapp constantly had the same players following him from club to club. Same with Mourinho and many others.

The difference between Wenger and Klopp/Guardiola is that they had transfer chiefs who knew the type of player their manager needed inside out.

Gazidis wasn’t a football man and the scouting team with Rowley and Grimandi needed refreshing from about 2010 onwards.

It’s unfair to put it all on Wenger because the club used him as a lightning rod for criticism and it was only when he was leaving that Ivan stepped up and hired people like Huss Fahmh, Raul and Sven to help with his workload.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Statdna was his no? I really don’t think we had any transfer guy in charge from when Dein left until Sven came tbh.

Get the feeling that Rowley, Cagigao, Ivan, the data analysts and Wenger would sit round a table until they’d agreed every aspect and then fly **** Law out to negotiate.

I doubt Wenger had much free time for scouting targets with how many hats he’d have to wear.
I believe Jason Rosenfeld was in charge of the analytics at the club.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Honestly I've never seen any evidence that Gazidis was responsible for signings.

The AST chair mentioned once on Twitter that in the final year Wenger had no say in transfers , that included Mkhi and Auba. I believed him because he really disliked Wenger.
Also there was that article on statdna in the telegraphwhere Wenger was strongly advised not to sign Griezmann by the statdna guys. Wenger was then reported to have said “ it will be interesting to follow his career”:lol:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Don’t know if that’s true. Harry Redknapp constantly had the same players following him from club to club. Same with Mourinho and many others.

The difference between Wenger and Klopp/Guardiola is that they had transfer chiefs who knew the type of player their manager needed inside out.

Gazidis wasn’t a football man and the scouting team with Rowley and Grimandi needed refreshing from about 2010 onwards.

It’s unfair to put it all on Wenger because the club used him as a lightning rod for criticism and it was only when he was leaving that Ivan stepped up and hired people like Huss Fahmh, Raul and Sven to help with his workload.

Oh yeah, I'm by no means putting it all on Wenger. I do believe that he okay'd every major signing at least. Maybe not someone like Park, that struck me as an odd one and maybe a marketing move for Asia more than anything else, but I don't know for sure.

I think Wenger definitely wielded more power behind the scenes than anyone bar maybe Ferguson. How can you not when you consider his tenure and what he had won.

I agree on Gazidis, I think he deserves a big portion of the blame for the situation we find ourselves in to be honest.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

It was just our luck that RVP departed the season before we signed Özil.

RVP and Özil at that stage of his career in the same team would have been something else. Instead he got Giroud, Sanogo and Podolski.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The AST chair mentioned once on Twitter that in the final year Wenger had no say in transfers , that included Mkhi and Auba. I believed him because he really disliked Wenger.
Also there was that article on statdna in the telegraphwhere Wenger was strongly advised not to sign Griezmann by the statdna guys. Wenger was then reported to have said “ it will be interesting to follow his career”:lol:

Which then famously led to this in 2013.

Griezmann was aware of their interest and was keen on speaking to Arsène Wenger – only for the club to stall on making a decision before rejecting him.

“I waited, I waited, and I kept waiting,” he recounts in his autobiography.

“When there was no news, Eric called Grimandi, who said that the manager was still interested in me [and] to keep waiting.

“Finally a few hours before the market closed, he let us know Arsenal would not make a move. I don't like to be told something and for it not to happen.

“So when Eric told me later that the London club were interested again I told him ‘Forget it, after the blow they gave us’.”

If we’d been able to sign him relatively cheaply with Özil and then Alexis the year after there’s your title right there. F*cking hate this club sometimes.

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Who was the last player to leave us, that you cried over?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Arsène never bought players, managers say the profile of player they want and it’s up to the scouts and executive guys to get them. This was on the scouting team.
Steady man you’re talking to guys who actually believed the narrative that Wenger did absolutely everything including making the tea and servicing the players wives.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
It was just our luck that RVP departed the season before we signed Özil.
I don't think its unlucky. It is the pattern we have seen since Kroenke took over. It has never been misfortune its always been calculated. We signed Özil because of the pressure on the club, if RvP didnt end up leaving we wouldnt have made a marquee signing the next summer.

The owners have always done the bare minimum required without us dropping out of the top4. They saw us adding to a strong top 4 side as a waste of money probably. Now its caught up with us because the league exponentially strengthened while we were busy twiddling our thumbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom