• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
We're definitely gonna need two centrebacks if Campbell goes as well, but we don't have any room for 5 central defenders over the age of 21 with the quota. Song is gonna be our 5th choice again, and after that it's probably Bartley.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
I remember Wenger talking about how he'd always go with four central defenders to the season. Gallas and Sylvestre are as good as gone.

So, it's Kosceilny in and either Sol or a new play, in his place. I'm sure Wenger would never go into the league with 3 CBs. However, I don't see a fifth one coming in, as well.

The trouble here is that we don't know where Djourou stands after a season long absence and nor do we have any idea about the new guy. Also, we know Sol can't be a first choice for he'll find it hard to manage two games a week. That leaves us uncertain, quality-wise, if not in terms of quantity.

Lord Dula

Established Member
I recon he might get that guy from lorient then add another in jan after it's clear to him we don't have enough cover

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I don't think fitness will be much of an issue for Sol next season. Most of the fatigue was down to him not playing games for a good eight or nine months before he joined up with us again. He looked increasingly fitter as the season went along. He's lost some pace perhaps but I reckon he's still much quicker than the likes of Hangeland.

Floating

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Well, people who would be happy with signing Gary Cahill should definitely be happy with Koscielny too, I can say that much. I don't really know, though. I think it's a greatly improved lineup from last year (which I felt was an improvement upon the season before that). It's dependent on Koscielny hitting the ground running, but it's the same for every centreback we'd sign to replace Gallas.

I really don't think it's gonna be that hard to improve the defence from last season. I reckon a lot of it will correct itself with a more experienced midfield and a healthy attack.

I'm not so sure I agree here. Gary Cahill has been playing Premiership football for 6 years with over 100 first-team appearances. Koscielny has played only 1 season of top-flight football, and in a weaker league. They're the same age - you do the math.

I'm not saying I wouldn't welcome Koscielny (frankly, like most of us, I know almost nothing about him), I'm just saying that, to us, Cahill is much more of a known quantity - someone we know can perform in English football, and stand out in a mid-table club.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Cahill played 28 games for Aston Villa between 2004 and 2008 (I don't know how many of those were starts but I don't think it was too many). He had short loan spells at Burnley and Sheffield in the Championship during that time. For the past two seasons - which is the only time he's been playing regular football in his career - he's been a part of one of the worst defences in the league. I really fail to see how he's any more proven. I think it's more a case of people generally looking his way because they want a tall and strong defender who's english.

Not that I have a problem with Cahill or anything. I'm personally not convinced about him but people whose opinions I rate highly seems to hold him in high regard. But one thing he most certainly isn't is proven at the level of which a club like Arsenal operates.

Rorz

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
I think it's more a case of people looking his way because they want a tall and strong defender who's english.

Bingo.

Of course, around better defenders, with better organisation, he may actually be a good CB, despite being part of some of the worst defences of recent years. Unfortunately he'd only be getting one of those things at today's Arsenal.

Floating

Established Member
What's wrong with wanting a tall, strong defender?

I never said Cahill is better than Koscielny, just that he has much more relevant experience than Koscielny, despite them being the same age.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Wenger wanted Smalling in January when he signed Sol and also didn't think Gallas would go. With have said that, I personally expect him to sign 2 defenders.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Floating said:
What's wrong with wanting a tall, strong defender?
Nothing wrong with it at all. I just said that I believe it's the main reason that people look to a player like Cahill, who strikes me as being a bit of a second-rate who you'd rather have in the squad than in the starting eleven. Last season it was Lescott (and so help me, I wanted him too at the time). Season before that it was Kompany. I don't think Cahill has any more useful experience than Koscielny at all. He's just a more familiar name.

Smudeagle

I mentioned this a while ago in another thread however thought it might serve assome gallows humour.

For my wish list I would like to swap Average Al with any keeper in the league last year with the exception of that fat beast at burnley and that ****ter at hull.

Were there worse keepers in the league last year?

asajoseph

Established Member
Any of the below would be fine with me:

Petr Cech
Shay Given
Joe Hart
Pepe Reina
Tim Howard
Brad Friedel
Craig Gordon

Almunia belongs in the bracket below that lot, as far as I'm concerned. Fabianski doesn't belong in football.

MAK 14

Established Member
What do you fellas think of Martin Petrov? He's just been released from City so he'd be available on a free. If we don't get Joe Cole, perhaps he could be a decent option to go after.

Trouble is, he's injury prone and coming from City he'd probably want big wages.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
so instead of a 28 year old English crock who has been a decent performer in the league for quite a few seasons, you want us to go for a 31 year old crock who had about a good season and a half in England?

Humble Rex

Established Member
Nice way of putting it US! However, that minor thing aside I´ve always had a soft spot for Petrov and his direct way of playing. He is a proper winger, which we don´t have, and could thus give us something new.

There are plenty of those around though, proper wingers that is, that are better than Petrov. In my opinion we should spend some money on someone better than Petrov if it´s down that route which Wenger wants to embark.

MAK 14

Established Member
He's 31? Really?

And no, I definitely don't want to get him instead of Joe Cole - I never said that. But if we don't get Cole I thought Petrov could be a good option instead of him. He's definitely not my preferred option but he is more realistic than the likes of Hazard.

I didn't realize he was 31 though. Definite no then.

Latest posts

Top Bottom