• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

ASAP Berg

Established Member
Morgan_1683343a.jpg

Christian-Benteke.jpg

Two great young players who would fit in perfectly and be ready to make the step-up. Ferguson did if for years signing players from the premier league who were ready to make the step-up, it's time Wenger does too because we need some players who don't need a season to 'adjust' like Giroud/Gervinho in the key areas of the pitch.

Schneiderlin can pass better than Gonalons/Capoue, has height and great positional sense. He has also run more than any other player in the entire league. I will be disappointed if Arsène doesn't go for him.

gooner_23

I'd put both Lars and Schneiderlin on my list. We used Ramsey and Arteta the most toward the end of the season. We all know of Ramsey's flaws, and Arteta isn't getting any younger; both Lars and Schneiderlin would improve our midfield immensely.

outlaw_member

Established Member
fabo said:
I don't see the need for a deep-lying mid. Keep Arteta where he is and upgrade Ramsey.

I meant a deputy for Arteta.

With the talk of Grenier arriving, I have a feeling that Wenger intends to move Podolski into the middle to compete with Giroud, whilst Grenier challenges Cazorla for the left spot. Thus, avoiding the need to splash out on a first team striker.

Kwaku

Need a back up or upgrade for Arteta and competition for Ramsey in the box to box role IMO. The current alternatives are Coquelin who never plays and frankly is not even close to being good enough and Diaby who also never plays but for different reasons.

Vela

Established Member
Surely there is a midfielder out there who is capable of playing the Arteta role and play as a box-to-box as well.

Buhry

Established Member

fabo said:
That would be seriously depressing.

It would indeed.

Podolski, Ramsey and Giroud should all be backup players if we want to do more than 4th and an early CL exit imo. Decent players and good backup but not the level we need to challenge the best teams.

We really should get improvements for all those 3 positions this summer. Unless Wenger plans on playing Jack in the B2B role again. Even then we'd need someone to replace diaby/song's place in the squad.

And if we really have 70 million availiable we should not be looking to the French league for the improvements. At least not for the LW/CF position.

gooner_23

I'd like to put down Lukaku as a striker for my wishlist but chances of it happening are very small. The kid loves Chelsea, and is happy to go out on loan for them. The only way I can see him leaving is if Chelsea sign someone like Cavani or something, someone who's relatively young and would force Lukaku out of the team for some time. Second choice would be either Higuain or Benzema,

Anzac

Established Member
Vela said:
Surely there is a midfielder out there who is capable of playing the Arteta role and play as a box-to-box as well.

Serious question - why do we need someone in Arteta's role?
and what exactly is Arteta's role?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.whoscored.com/Players/1443/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whoscored.com/Players/1443/</a>

IMO whilst he's supposedly a DLP,
4 assists in 41 games indicates he ISN'T being used as a primary playmaker.
IMO he's more about quality of supply in transition out from defence as he is in any creative or playmaker capability.

I'd far rather see us revert to the hybrid 4213,
with Arteta as the 1 and Cazorla as 1 of the 3,
and take the handbrake OFF the 3 as we did in 10-11.

Wilshere, Rambo & Ox can provide options from the bench for rotation.

Anzac

Established Member
My wish List isn't anything we haven't had here before = someone like DD to make AW pull the frakking trigger and spend the frakking money.

I also want a change in policy regarding our scouting in depth = what's the frakking point as it doesn't seem top work as we miss out on our primary targets and then spend in panic on players that disappoint - Reyes, Chamakh, Nasri, AA, Park, Giroud, Gervinho, Squillaci, Santos.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Isn't asking Wilshere to be used in rotation/bench a bit like asking for us to sign Messi/Falcao. As Wenger has shown, it is not going to happen.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Anzac said:
My wish List isn't anything we haven't had here before = someone like DD to make AW pull the frakking trigger and spend the frakking money.

I also want a change in policy regarding our scouting in depth = what's the frakking point as it doesn't seem top work as we miss out on our primary targets and then spend in panic on players that disappoint - Reyes, Chamakh, Nasri, AA, Park, Giroud, Gervinho, Squillaci, Santos.

Wouldn't exactly say the likes of Arshavin or Reyes were disappointing buys - they didn't turn out as good as we hoped in the long run, but had a decent/in Arshavin's case immense impact. The likes of Chamakh or Reyes were nowhere near panic buys, Chamakh was a target for more than a year and Reyes is one of our most expensive buys to this day - you can bet that he was extensively scouted. Most others on that list haven't been panic buys either.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Reyes wasn't a flop at all. Throughout his time here he made great impacts on our game with crucial assists and goals. Just because mentally he was weak and decided to leave doesn't mean he is a flop imo.

Same for Arshavin. He was good and productive for 2.5 seasons, till he grew lazy/fat/whatever and wavered off our team.

Buhry

Established Member

Clrnc said:
Reyes wasn't a flop at all. Throughout his time here he made great impacts on our game with crucial assists and goals. Just because mentally he was weak and decided to leave doesn't mean he is a flop imo.

Same for Arshavin. He was good and productive for 2.5 seasons, till he grew lazy/fat/whatever and wavered off our team.

If Reyes had a stronger mentality he could have been an immense player for us I think, too bad he got homesick. I thought he did a lot of good while he was here, quality player on his day. Went totally downhill after leaving us though like many others.

I still remember that one 7-0 thrashing against Everton where he had 4 or 5 assists.

Vela

Established Member
Anzac said:
Vela said:

Serious question - why do we need someone in Arteta's role?
and what exactly is Arteta's role?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.whoscored.com/Players/1443/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whoscored.com/Players/1443/</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMO whilst he's supposedly a DLP,
4 assists in 41 games indicates he ISN'T being used as a primary playmaker.
IMO he's more about quality of supply in transition out from defence as he is in any creative or playmaker capability.

I'd far rather see us revert to the hybrid 4213,
with Arteta as the 1 and Cazorla as 1 of the 3,
and take the handbrake OFF the 3 as we did in 10-11.

Wilshere, Rambo & Ox can provide options from the bench for rotation.

AW isn't going to change the formation of the team.

Alonso got six assists playing in 32 games this season. Carrick got four assists in 39 games this season. Just some examples of other players who play in a similar role/position as Arteta.

You could argue Arteta should take more risks in some of his passes at times.

ASAP Berg

Established Member
Considering Cazorla is maybe going to play games at LW, and Coquelin is on his way out, plus Diaby is out for half the season, I think we need 2 midfield signings.

A ball-winner is required, someone who can pressure the opposition, and a distributer to deputize for Arteta. However, Wenger puts a lot of trust in Ramsey so we might only sign 1 guy.

I think he will just sign a ball-winner who can pass and then alternate them with one of Ramsey or Arteta, with Diaby joining the fray later on and Wilshere an option to play deep too. I like Rasmus Elm, but he is more of an Arteta, whereas Schneiderlin is more of a ball-winner but both would be good players.

Anzac

Established Member
jones said:
Anzac said:

Wouldn't exactly say the likes of Arshavin or Reyes were disappointing buys - they didn't turn out as good as we hoped in the long run, but had a decent/in Arshavin's case immense impact. The likes of Chamakh or Reyes were nowhere near panic buys, Chamakh was a target for more than a year and Reyes is one of our most expensive buys to this day - you can bet that he was extensively scouted. Most others on that list haven't been panic buys either.

Yeah my bad - there was meant to be an 'and' between panic & on as in being 2 aspects rather than combined into 1.

Latest posts

Top Bottom