• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

£50k p/w For Walcott?

progman07

Established Member
Well we are a much younger team than Man Utd, so obviously they won't get payed as much, especially not the likes of Song. They have to produce something first, prove themselves to earn their wages. If Eboue or Diaby have the guts to ask for more money, ship them out at that second.

Still, the likes of Theo contribute too much and are too important to be allowed to leave so we must keep them even it means raising their wages to 50k (which is nothing in today's top football). If you are working with a youth policy the first thing you must do is keep your biggest talents, otherwise it's a useless policy.

Biggus

Established Member
qs said:
What do you think he's worth then Jamee? What do you think he'd get at United, Chelsea, Liverpool or City because whatever they're willing to give him, thats his value.

Too right.....They don't teach that at the Arsène Wenger college of economics. :wink:

Jameel46

Established Member
qs said:
If Gallas get £80k, Walcotts easily worth £50k.

1. Walcott hasn't even come close to what Gallas has achieved in his career.

2. Gallas' importance to the defence (like him or not) is a hell of a lot more than Walcott's importance to the attack.

you seriously need to look harder at the comparisons you're making before voicing them.

hackajack

Established Member
Jameel46 said:
qs said:

2. Gallas' importance to the defence (like him or not) is a hell of a lot more than Walcott's importance to the attack.

you seriously need to look harder at the comparisons you're making before voicing them.
In football like any other job it's not about what you're 'worth' it's about what the market will pay you.

Jameel46

Established Member
hackajack said:
Jameel46 said:
qs said:

In football like any other job it's not about what you're 'worth' it's about what the market will pay you.

We're not in the same market as United or Chelsea.

The market we're in, it's a 'how much of the pie does he deserve' atiitude . some teams have bigger pies than others, our pie is a lot smaller than that of united's or chelsea's. (had to use the pie metaphor for this to make sense! lol)

Anzac

Established Member
I agree with both points = the market determines your value, the size of the pie determines if a club can attract / hold a player in competition with the market, along with other factors like prestige etc.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Jameel46 said:
qs said:

Exactly. Thanks Jameel you saved me a post. Why people underate Gallas' abillity and importance to the team I will never know.

lagos

Established Member
My views on Theo are well documented and haven't changed much beyond that I am now prepared to have him in my team as an option. He is a franchise player, the fans like him (God knows why) and he is an England international so I don't have too much of a problem with his wage demands although I certainly hope we exploit him commercially as I am not convinced he will prove to be a good investment on the pitch!

That said, his importance to the team from a footballing point of view is being overstated by some! If we don't have Walcott we can survive. Our lack of options in midfield has eleveated his status and yes he does provide us an option with his pace, but he is not a Rosicky, Gallas, Sagna, Clichy,Fabregas or Flaminni or Adebayor whose continued absence one will notice. When compared to a midfield option of Eboue, Song, Denilson, Theo will shine more often than not because those 3 between themselves can't create ****, but really what does that say?. That doesn't mean he is that important, all it means is attacking wise, he is the best of a bad lot! If we had a full complement of players, Theo is dispensable, I don't see any difference currently between him and Diaby some days brilliant, some days terrible , most times anonymous, therefore he is in my opinion currently nice to have but not that important! Theo always has been about the promise of tommorow, selling me an egg for the price of a chicken is fine so long as I know and I am prepared to take the gamble that it will hatch, and until then it is still just an egg.

truth_hurts

Lagos you are right Theo is arguably our most annoying player along with Diaby as they clearly talented but so inconsistent. Lagos you must agree tho Theo has shown enough glimpses for us and england to suggest he will be a very big player over the next few years. Yes now he's dispensible but 2 years from now i'm sure 50k will seem good value.

lagos

Established Member
I wouldn't use the term cleary as far as Theo is concerned. In any event, I've said I'm prepared to have him in my team, I've said I'm ok with £50k. what more do you want? to stand in the terraces shouting Theooo! theoooo!

kamikaze80

Established Member
theo's a weapon and he's a huge commercial asset. it's a no brainer to me. it's pure folly to risk having to spend 15m to replace him over 1m in wages. plus, a big club like arsenal can't skimp on both transfer fees AND wages. fine, get players when theyre young to minimise the cost of player acquisition, but if we don't offer competitive wages, we will never be able to retain players when they approach their prime, which means we'll never win anything.

number_0

Established Member
If people are accepting that he gets 50k I dont see why everyone is so up against ade having 80k

Anzac

Established Member
number_0 said:
If people are accepting that he gets 50k I dont see why everyone is so up against ade having 80k

Because Theo is seen as a Golden Child whereas Ade was greedy after 1 golden season?????

TomasCR

Established Member
Like what Lagos has said and I agee with that.

To know whether this money he asks for corresponds to the quality of the player himself though, you would have to know what the likes of Diaby, Song, Denilson, Nasri are on. I think Denilson should earn a similar amount of money for example, not so sure he has it though.

But yeah, give him 50k a week and let him show if he deserved it or not.

truth_hurts

number_0 said:

Adebayor does deserve 80k a week as our min striker, an interntional and proven scorer at all levels, and it also protects his value if sombody mkes a bid for him. A lot of people like to bring up the 80k when Ade has a bad game.

truth_hurts

thegame24 said:
Apparntly ade gets 110k lol

not a chance is he our highest earner on more than cesc and gallas and almost on Thierry sums! if he did though he would have the worlds best agent!

thegame24

Established Member
He had a bust up with arsenal fan at aitrport apparantly, ade shouted back i actually earn 110k a week. Maybe just winding the fan up more

the dawn raids

Established Member
its pretty simple really. not only is he English, hes our only English talent contributing heavily now. the club will not want to face the backlash of losing someone who is right now our lone English representative (not taking into consideration Gibbs, Wilshere, Simpson, etc. since they arent on that level yet). so for good or ill, i definitely think that will be a contributing factor for Theo to get what hes demanding.

Top Bottom